Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Service Centers Voiding Warranties

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 12:32 PM
ShooterSteve1953
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brihvac
If you read that guys post who works for the MOCO, if you have a failure, it still may not be covered under warranty.
Well I guess it really depends on your dealer. That is why I am not going with any extended warranty on my new bike. Seems like a waste of money, especially if you have to worry about coverage.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:40 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

In a way, I'm kinda' glad that Winter is coming because I'm going to need allot of time to consider my options here...

Glad I don't have to rush into a decision...

Last edited by RODEO; 11-16-2008 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:30 PM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Think about it...if some yo-yo thinks he's a tuner and smokes the engine while adjusting his tune, or if an aftermarket tune is wrong and blows the engine-how is that HD's responsibility?" Well put! Read your contract; it is not illegal to void a warranty for AM parts not installed by a dealer. Just wait for the warranty to run out and do what you want or take the chance...

Old 11-16-2008, 01:36 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

They do put your mileage on the new speedos..
A buddy just had one put on his RK complete w/ accurate mileage.

Mark

Old 11-16-2008, 04:10 PM
meepers
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robzuc97
"Think about it...if some yo-yo thinks he's a tuner and smokes the engine while adjusting his tune, or if an aftermarket tune is wrong and blows the engine-how is that HD's responsibility?" Well put! Read your contract; it is not illegal to void a warranty for AM parts not installed by a dealer. Just wait for the warranty to run out and do what you want or take the chance...

Rob your missing the entire premise of them voiding your warranty. They are ARBITRARILY voiding warranties on bike with NO issues, just for having the addition of the fuel management unit.

I FULLY agree that if you toast your motor due to your mods, this is NOT something that should be covered, but to void the warranty on something that has no issues is plain wrong and illegal.

Keep in mind, any factory recalls or service bulletins are paid for by your factory warranty. Say you purchase a Floor model 08, brand new rolls off the floor. You go home, put some pipes, intake an tuner on it, 3 months later, you get a notice for a recall on a faulty design in the cam chain sprocket. You ride your bike in for service, and they tell you they will not honor that recall due to you having a power commander on your bike..... Explain to me how you would react.

Now, say you put a big bore kit on your bike, cams, tuner, and heads, at that point, you have altered your motor, if you drop a valve, or snap your crank, or blow a head gasket, I am in full agreement that the service manager should politely inform you **if you are foolish enough to even try** that this failure will not be covered.

I think the people that are arguing that MOCO voiding warranties do not really see the entire picture on this, or are misunderstanding what/why things are being voided.

Fuel injection on the new models with Cats, that brings with it a whole new set of issues, and there are good reasons that they could deny replacing things under your warranty. I could go off on a whole different tangent all together for just that... but I wont.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:16 PM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by meepers
Rob your missing the entire premise of them voiding your warranty. They are ARBITRARILY voiding warranties on bike with NO issues, just for having the addition of the fuel management unit.

I FULLY agree that if you toast your motor due to your mods, this is NOT something that should be covered, but to void the warranty on something that has no issues is plain wrong and illegal.

Keep in mind, any factory recalls or service bulletins are paid for by your factory warranty. Say you purchase a Floor model 08, brand new rolls off the floor. You go home, put some pipes, intake an tuner on it, 3 months later, you get a notice for a recall on a faulty design in the cam chain sprocket. You ride your bike in for service, and they tell you they will not honor that recall due to you having a power commander on your bike..... Explain to me how you would react.

Now, say you put a big bore kit on your bike, cams, tuner, and heads, at that point, you have altered your motor, if you drop a valve, or snap your crank, or blow a head gasket, I am in full agreement that the service manager should politely inform you **if you are foolish enough to even try** that this failure will not be covered.

I think the people that are arguing that MOCO voiding warranties do not really see the entire picture on this, or are misunderstanding what/why things are being voided.
+1
Could'nt agree with you more

Old 11-16-2008, 04:18 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by meepers
R
Meepers: Another nail hit on the head. Well said.
Also a note to deep South. I dare you to ask those two shops to back their statements up in writing. Talk is cheap.
Lets go riding!

Old 11-16-2008, 04:32 PM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

bagman, you are going back on your ealier post.

Nobody is gonna argue that if their mod caused the issue that they are responsible. But to void a warranty before there is an issue, just because a tuner is present, is bulls*it

Old 11-16-2008, 04:57 PM
ctmedic
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Local Dealer will Warantee any aftermarket parts, Fuel Paks, PC III, exaust and so on, as long as they were purchased from there authorized aftermarket company. My Dealer uses Drag Specialties. They do however frown when you come in with a problem that directly relates to a aftermaket change that affected the outcome of the repair. They have this written right on their wall. (Not in those words) If they install it they will cover it.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:12 PM
timbakersr
Cruiser

I would think with the money Harley has it would take care of the customer. Maybe take it on a case by case basis. They get full pop on every bike plus over priced parts and clothes why would they be so cheap?

Quick Reply: HD Service Centers Voiding Warranties