Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bagger Brace vs Throttle Up Touring Stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 06:20 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rochkes
I say they are both great products, but the bagger brace is worth the extra bucks is strength and long life is what you are after.

Dennis
You have to love the Internet! Somebody can take a complete shot in the dark uneducated guess and wrap it up to sound like fact! Well done. The truth is that there are no scientific tests of any kind comparing these two products, we have no idea what kind of load levels they are subjected to or what the possible breaking points of either would be. Two different products that claim to do the same thing, which is "better" nobody can tell you for sure but that won't stop many from telling you anyway.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Gamma742
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by brunswickoh
The truth is that there are no scientific tests of any kind comparing these two products, we have no idea what kind of load levels they are subjected to or what the possible breaking points of either would be.

The truth of the matter is. One product has 2 bolts attaching it to the "DogBone" and the other has 10 bolts..

I don't think you need to be a rocket scientist to be able to tell which one is superior...

Old 11-16-2008, 06:29 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

You have to love the Internet! Somebody can take a complete shot in the dark uneducated guess and wrap it up to sound like fact! Well done. The truth is that there are no scientific tests of any kind comparing these two products, we have no idea what kind of load levels they are subjected to or what the possible breaking points of either would be. Two different products that claim to do the same thing, which is "better" nobody can tell you for sure but that won't stop many from telling you anyway.

Actually, my opinion is not a complete shot in the dark. I guess you could call my guess uneducated if you are looking for a degree on my office wall, but it is far from "uneducated" if you consider the last 30 years I have spent fixing machines that break down and trying to find a better way than the factory sent them out to prevent fixing them again.

You sir are the one who is taking the complete shot in the dark with an uneducated guess if you can't see the difference in design.

Please take note that I didn't hack on anyone's design or product, yet you didn't hesitate to hack on my opinion, uneducated guess or shot in the dark.

I bet you really do love the internet......... it confuses the hell out of you when you have to read something that doesn't fit into your world.

Dennis

Old 11-16-2008, 06:33 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure looks like an opinion he stated, not a fact.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:42 PM
Gamma742
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Old 11-16-2008, 06:51 PM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This reminds me of an "oil" thread. Is Amsoil as good as HD? What about Mobil car oil? Syn is stronger!

Everyone has opinions, which is fine.

Noone has really compared the two, other than "mine is nice", "mine is stronger", etc. I have read quite a few threads on this, and they are interesting. Haven't noticed where any have "not worked" or "broke" ? Stronger is only better if needed.

I could easily be wrong, but if so, the info would be interesting. As far I can tell they all do the job...no?

The economy is terrible...Harley resale is crap, their stock price even worse

Price IS important, at least to me.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:59 PM
rickxx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gamma742
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276105

Or

http://www.throttleupindustries.com/TS1.html

You don't even have to know how to read.. Just look at the pictures
Wow, you're right...ten bolts on the dog-bone on the bagger brace, but i only see one bolt connecting the stabilizer to the dogbone and the oil pan bracket...just like the other one...and isn't that the one that really counts?

Old 11-16-2008, 07:03 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure you've worked hard for the last 30 years fixing machines however you have no idea if either product will work better then the other or last longer then the other. Your reply was very well worded however lacked any substance. I'll stand by my statement that you're doing nothing more then taking a guess and passing it off as fact.

As far as the "ten is better then two" statement. I don't know if it is and neither do you because we have no idea what kind of loads these products are under. Again, guess away and pass it off as fact so it can be repeated over and over. That's what the Internet is for.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:04 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member

Again folks, I am not bashing anyone's product or design. But if it is "scientific" testing you need, I can tell you how to do it. Feel free to post your results here when you are done.

Take a bolt of whatever diameter you choose. Screw it flush to an object that will not move or flex. Attach a wench to the head of the bolt with a spring scale between the head of the bolt and your wench. Crank on the wench until you can measure how much the bolt bends. You can do this with or without a spacer over the bolt as long as you do it the same way each time. Measure how much tension is required to bend or flex the bolt a measurable amount.

Now screw a new bolt in the same location, but leave it 1/2" from flush, repeat. Then do it again leaving the head 1" from flush. Do it again leaving the head 2" from flush.

You will now see that it is not magic when the bolt holds truer when it's head is as close to the solid object it is screwed into. The results will be consistant and your opinion will have a "scientific" label. It won't be a shot in the dark and it won't be an uneducated guess anymore.

Dennis

Old 11-16-2008, 07:16 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member

I'm sure you've worked hard for the last 30 years fixing machines however you have no idea if either product will work better then the other or last longer then the other. Your reply was very well worded however lacked any substance. I'll stand by my statement that you're doing nothing more then taking a guess and passing it off as fact.

As far as the "ten is better then two" statement. I don't know if it is and neither do you because we have no idea what kind of loads these products are under. Again, guess away and pass it off as fact so it can be repeated over and over. That's what the Internet is for.
Again, it is a matter of physics and scientific fact that the longer a bolt protrudes, the more it will flex and bend. This is relating to the part that is bolted to the oil pan that holds the motor.

I have more than an idea of if machined aluminum or mild steel will last longer in a corrosion prone enviornment. It is a well known fact to anyone with any metalurgy experience. Mild steel may be stronger comparing apples to apples, but that factor is compensated for with pure mass on the aluminum vs. the mild steel.

As I stated before, I think either product will do the intended purpose for the life of any HD scoot. But if you really want to do a scientific experiment on which one is stronger, I will be glad to lay my money down on which one I can bend or break under loads that the product was not intended to hold, even though that may not be relevant to which one will out perform the other or last longer for the intended purpose.

This whole arguement is silly. I only took exception to being called out for making a "shot in the dark" or an "uneducated guess". I can prove otherwise if you want to play. But like a good bud of mine always says, "arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics......... even if you win, you are still retarded."

Dennis

Quick Reply: Bagger Brace vs Throttle Up Touring Stabilizer