Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Music on a Road King

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 03:40 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.uniqcycle.com/

I have the classic edition setup on my RKC, speakers mounted to the highway bars and i'm very happy with it. 150w amp under the seat and I can plug it into my MP3 player or GPS mounted on the handlebars and hear everything clear on the highway.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:43 PM
cabbage
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.tsukayu.com/HardSaddlebagsforRoadKing.html these guys look interesting....both the fairing and the mildly stretched bags....anyone have experience in to the quarity? lol

Old 11-28-2008, 03:49 PM
sped
Road Captain
Received 86 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Amplirider as an option

http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplirider.html

Go to this website and purchase an amplirider from this guy. Cost delivered is $65 bucks. Wire it to a switched circut and put it in a tank bag, or the windshield pouce of your RK. Then go to Best Buy and pick up a set of $20 dollat Sony headsets...the big ones, not the dinky ones that come with most typical mp3 players. I'm talking a set of 70's style headphones that you then scavenge the earpices off of and velcro those to the inside of your helmet. Try Sony model #MDR-V150. If you're using a half helmet, you'll need one with a neck flap or whatever you call those things. Velcro the headset earphones to the inside and adjust them so that they fit your ears like they still have the piece that originally connected them for the most efficient sound placement.

Seriously, I used the Sonys in an HJC 3/4, and a Symax full face with great success. And they worked great with my HJC half lid too. You may be using something where space won't allow such large speakers in your helmet so adjust accordingly. Cycle Gadgets sells some pretty thin speakers also which may be another route should you so choose.

Plug your iPod/Sansa/generic mp3 player into the amplirider, plug your helmet into the amplirider, and ride while enjoying concert quality sound. This is one of the cheapest and most effective upgrades you'll ever make to your bike. I used this same setup on a couple bikes till I got my J&M cb radio which basically did the same thing through a headset and gave me cb capabilities.

The guy is in Canada and is very approachable. Shoot him an email with all your questions and he'll respond relatively quickly. This is a great product and largely overlooked. The units are handmade and if it ever breaks, he'll fix it for free. I know this from experience.

A had one of these which I loaned to a buddy which he installed on his bike and then promptly sold the bike. LMAO He purchased another one for me which we'll use to run audio through my HK radio on my Road Glide through the aux port. Utilizing the amplirider will allow me to run my Zumo audio commands and my iPod at the same time through my headset.

If anyone else decides to use this, please post your impressions when you've finished testing it out. I'd bet you'll be pleased.

Hope this helps. Ride safe.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Roadking Cal
Road Captain

Here's what I didd on my '99 RKC...

So, a few months ago, I dropped the $305.00 for the "RUMBLE ROAD" sound system out of the J&P catalog.

This system WORKS!

I had previously tried the "Two Wheel Tunes" set-up ($500.00!) and was disappointed to say the least. The speakers kept blowing out, perhaps since they were kinda small, they couldn't handle the bass load.

The larger, self-amplified speakers that came with the Rumble Road system do a much better job.

I wanted as clean an install as I could manage without having to drill and manhandle different parts, like the handlebars. What I ended up doing seems to work really well:

I had installed the H-D cigarette lighter under the seat of my Road King, and used the connection for that as my origin source for the power. The main lead runs under the seat & dash panel, and is secured with cable ties to the frame at multiple points at both ends.

Once it exits the dash, it gets fed up through the bottom of the handlebar clamp cover, with a power lead coming out the left and right sides, with the handlebars. I decided to forgo using the wiring connectors that came with the system, except for the RCA connectors. Everything that runs from the clamp cover up to the speakers and I-pod mount are securely encased in heat-shrink tubing that is zip-tied to the handlebars. The ends fit over the wire entry point into the housings, and are heat-shrunk into place. The lower ends were similarly attached to the RCA plugs, then worked back into the handlebar clamp cover. All this makes for a pretty water-tight set-up. I've ridden in some pretty heavy rain, and no problems yet.

Since I hated getting down the road and having the I-pod battery die because I forgot to charge it up, I added a cigarette-lighter based charging unit to the wiring from under the seat. Works like a dream, except for a slight hum when its plugged in, but not noticeable with the sound turned up.

I hope you find this helpful, if not necessarily interesting reading. I can't recommend this system highly enough!!!

Old 11-28-2008, 08:00 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 631 Likes on 391 Posts

I use an iPod. It's mounted to my bars with a Ram mount, and connected to the radio's Aux input via a $2 cable sold at Radio Shack.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:46 AM
Ridetard
Banned

Originally Posted by Slash
Check out the self amplified bullet shaped chrome speakers that Kuryakyn has.Heard them on someones RoadKing was really impressed,told a friend he bought 'em and loves 'em.
I bought and installed the Kuryakn system for myself and install a few others for people I know. The kit comes with a billet enclosed amp that mounts on the frame and looks like a OEM part, does not stand out at all. The only draw back is there is no treble, bass or volume control. Speakers and amp, thats it. (The IPOD controls the volume)

Is very pricey ($500.00) and is designed for use with an IPOD or XM receiver. If you allready have a sound system on your bike and want to improve it forget about the JM product (trust me on this) and go with HOG tunes speakers, The cost the same as the J&M product and are of superior quality and operate much better in colder climates then the J&M product.. Don't judge by herasay, read a few reviews and will be the best 100 bucks you have spent in a while.

Last edited by Ridetard; 11-29-2008 at 05:50 AM.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:38 AM
cfmii11
Road Master

Check out these at:
http://www.chromeglow.com
My buddy put them on before our last trip and loves them, he uses the mini Ipod for the tunes.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:22 AM
agapsdiver
Road Master
Received 99 Likes on 42 Posts

I set up my amp, for my Ipod, so I can put it in a windshield bag and take it out when I need to. The amp puts out 150 watts and the speakers, I made enclosures, are 110 watts each. Ended up painting the speakers my bike color. Sound is great and clear at 80 mph.
http://www.cyclespeakers.com/motorcy...amplifier.html#

Speakers cost $49.99 for both... enclosure parts $ 15, clamps $20. Amp costs about $60.

Attached Thumbnails Music on a Road King-img_0549_small.jpg   Music on a Road King-img_0589_small.jpg   Music on a Road King-img_0603_small.jpg  

Last edited by agapsdiver; 11-17-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:12 PM
bmorebhoy
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't want speakers on the RK Classic because I often run it stripped down and wanted a clean and "classic" look.
I use ear buds and have for years starting with portable cassette tape players to CD players and now iPods. I have very good ear bude ($$) and can still hear traffic horns and sirens fine. Just as well or better than with foam ear plugs.
With my GPS unit, I wanted to hear the voice prompts and music from the MP3 file on the Zumo. I found a Bluetooth receiver from SONY about the size on my little finger and I plug my ear buds into that, hang it from a neck leash or put it in my pocket and it works great. With a half helmet.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:07 PM
BGHFD
Cruiser

I had the same desire – wanted music without completely shutting out all the ambient noise, but didn’t really want to mount visible speakers to my bike. I’m also pretty picky about earbuds.

Someone on this forum mentioned Razer M100 earbuds and I bought a pair from ebay. These work great for me. They cut out just enough of the ambient sound that I can still hear almost everything. When I take them out, I do wonder why my motor is making such a racket. They reproduce the music great from my mp3 player without an additional amplifier.

http://www.razerzone.com/p-102-proto...earphones.aspx

Now, I’m not sure I could ride without them for extended periods as they help alleviate the fatigue factor. I have a hard time without them when riding Dad’s Electra Glide and listening to the fairing stereo.

I like this idea of hiding the amp and speakers in a windshield bag. I’m trying to get some more information on this setup from forum member JRK5892.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showp...3&postcount=25

I bought a set of helmet speakers and tried that before buying the Razers. I didn’t like the feel of them in the helmet and would rather wear my ½ helmet most of the time. I also had to purchase a helmet amplifier (bought the battery operated unit from Radio Shack) and it was too much crap to pocket.

Quick Reply: Music on a Road King