Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 SG Owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 01:28 PM
hd0wner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 SG Owners

I am looking to order a 09 at my local dealer. I am coming from a 07 SG. When I sat on the bike, i noticed the bike didnt move. I tried plopping on it, pushing the bike down from the back and nothing. I tried 4 different bikes at 3 different dealers. I test rode 2 and the suspension was rock hard as if it was a hard tail bike. Is it common on all SG's? I didnt check the air pressure in them because it wasnt my bike. My 07 was like riding on a cloud. Can I swap shocks from an 07? Any info would help and the more the better.

I have been lurking here for months and after some registration issues, Im finally able to post.

Mike

Old 12-02-2008, 01:41 PM
super SG
6th Gear
Talking not a log wagon!!!!

i got my new 09 sg 2 months ago and it road like a log wagon,till i checked air pressure was 5 psi!!!!! pumped it up to 25 psi rides like no other bike i have owned period!!!!! best ride best control 09's rock !!!!!!!!you will not be disappointed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-02-2008, 03:09 PM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine had nothing in the shocks

Old 12-02-2008, 03:19 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by hd0wner
I am looking to order a 09 at my local dealer. I am coming from a 07 SG. When I sat on the bike, i noticed the bike didnt move. I tried plopping on it, pushing the bike down from the back and nothing. I tried 4 different bikes at 3 different dealers. I test rode 2 and the suspension was rock hard as if it was a hard tail bike. Is it common on all SG's? I didnt check the air pressure in them because it wasnt my bike. My 07 was like riding on a cloud. Can I swap shocks from an 07? Any info would help and the more the better.

I have been lurking here for months and after some registration issues, Im finally able to post.

Mike
1. It totally depends on how much air they have in the shocks.

2. The 09s seem to run less air than the prev years in general (IMHO) in other words, if you ran 30 lbs in your 07 and liked it, 30 lbs in the 09 would seem to stiff.

3. No, you cannot use 07 shocks on the 09. There are NOT the same part.

I had both an 07 and now an 09 SG. I suggest you go back and test ride again, checking the air pressure and adjusting it accordingly. I am about 210 lbs, and run 10 lbs of air in my 09 when solo. (ran 25-30 solo on the 07)

I for one think the 09 SG shocks ride MUCH better than the 07 versions, when property adjusted.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:46 PM
hd0wner
Cruiser

Is there as much suspension travel as the previous years? I went back today to check it out again and did the same test on 3 other SG's. Same problem. Dealer wouldnt let me check the air as they "are straight from factory". Could the factory be sending them with no air? This was done now on a total of 7 different bikes all with the same results. I tried the suspension on the EG's and they have much more cushion when you sit down and plop down.

Originally Posted by ww1flyingace
1. It totally depends on how much air they have in the shocks.

2. The 09s seem to run less air than the prev years in general (IMHO) in other words, if you ran 30 lbs in your 07 and liked it, 30 lbs in the 09 would seem to stiff.

3. No, you cannot use 07 shocks on the 09. There are NOT the same part.

I had both an 07 and now an 09 SG. I suggest you go back and test ride again, checking the air pressure and adjusting it accordingly. I am about 210 lbs, and run 10 lbs of air in my 09 when solo. (ran 25-30 solo on the 07)

I for one think the 09 SG shocks ride MUCH better than the 07 versions, when property adjusted.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:46 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I think the come from the factory with 0 PSI in the shocks....

The dealer during the PDI is supposed to air them up a bit but most never do...

Mine came with 0 PSI and rode like a truck until I got home and added 10 PSI...

Old 12-04-2008, 06:36 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't worry about it. Just pull the trigger and get to riding it. I have a couple of 07's and they ride ok, but the 09 leaves them in the dust for ride and comfort. The new frame will have you smiling!

Old 12-04-2008, 10:13 PM
RichardH
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I test drove a 09 SG also about 3 weeks ago. It was to hard a ride for me. People told me it was because the bike is lowered. I felt every bump. The floor boards also vibrated against the metal trim. Not as smooth as my 07 Road King. Its possible there was no air in the rear shocks but I didn't check. I ended up getting the 09 EG Classic. I thought there was a big difference between the 09 SG and the 09 EG. The SG felt to cramped for me also. I am 6'2. The 09 EG is so smooth. I am really amazed at the job they did on this bike. I brought my air gauge with me when I picked up my 09 EG last weekend. The rear shocks had 5 lbs of air. The spec for someone who weighs "up to 150 lbs" is 5-10 lbs of air. This according to the owners manual for baggers, page 65. I put in 10 lbs and the bike was smooth as silk. This weekend I plan on riding with 15 or 20 lbs just to feel the difference. I can't see it getting much better. The bike handles great. It actually invites you to lean more. I can't see how they get the bike to track so nice, feel so tight and yet drive so smooth. Also the porpusing (side sway) typical in Harleys when cornering is gone. I was expecting to feel the extra 100 lbs of weight difference between my Road King (763lbs) and the 09 EG (864lbs) but no such luck. The 09 EG felt light at a stand still and even lighter once I got going. HD suggests 10-20lbs for someone who weighs 150-200. If anyone tells you there is really no difference between the 07/08 ride and the 09 ride don't believe them. I think HD should advertise this more than they have.
If you are considering purchasing a 09 SG I would test drive it but make sure it has 10-15 lbs of air in it. The dealer should be more than happy to let you add or remove air from the shocks. Particularly in this slow down economy we are having. At least the dealers in Southern California are willing to help you. Before i purchased my 09 EG the dealer wheeled out a 09 SG from the show room and let me test drive it. Good luck.
Rich

Old 12-05-2008, 09:04 AM
hd0wner
Cruiser

That was almost the exact experience I had with the test ride. Its going to be cold up here in NJ tomorrow but I will see what the dealership will do for me. I am tempted to test ride the EG but Im only 26 so I dont think Im ready for that yet. The SG is a nice balance of "young" and a little younger. This is really my only concern with the purchase... and the fact that they made the stock seat worse than the 07 and the passenger pillion less cushion than previous years. I will probably pick up a 08 seat from ebay because there is more cushion in the passenger seat (from what I saw)

Originally Posted by RichardH
I test drove a 09 SG also about 3 weeks ago. It was to hard a ride for me. People told me it was because the bike is lowered. I felt every bump. The floor boards also vibrated against the metal trim. Not as smooth as my 07 Road King. Its possible there was no air in the rear shocks but I didn't check. I ended up getting the 09 EG Classic. I thought there was a big difference between the 09 SG and the 09 EG. The SG felt to cramped for me also. I am 6'2. The 09 EG is so smooth. I am really amazed at the job they did on this bike. I brought my air gauge with me when I picked up my 09 EG last weekend. The rear shocks had 5 lbs of air. The spec for someone who weighs "up to 150 lbs" is 5-10 lbs of air. This according to the owners manual for baggers, page 65. I put in 10 lbs and the bike was smooth as silk. This weekend I plan on riding with 15 or 20 lbs just to feel the difference. I can't see it getting much better. The bike handles great. It actually invites you to lean more. I can't see how they get the bike to track so nice, feel so tight and yet drive so smooth. Also the porpusing (side sway) typical in Harleys when cornering is gone. I was expecting to feel the extra 100 lbs of weight difference between my Road King (763lbs) and the 09 EG (864lbs) but no such luck. The 09 EG felt light at a stand still and even lighter once I got going. HD suggests 10-20lbs for someone who weighs 150-200. If anyone tells you there is really no difference between the 07/08 ride and the 09 ride don't believe them. I think HD should advertise this more than they have.
If you are considering purchasing a 09 SG I would test drive it but make sure it has 10-15 lbs of air in it. The dealer should be more than happy to let you add or remove air from the shocks. Particularly in this slow down economy we are having. At least the dealers in Southern California are willing to help you. Before i purchased my 09 EG the dealer wheeled out a 09 SG from the show room and let me test drive it. Good luck.
Rich

Old 12-05-2008, 09:43 AM
idoc
Intermediate

Honest fact about my 09 SG : no set amt of pressure will be in any two new bikes on the showroom . Mine had zero pressure , at 5 lb , some thump , at 10 perfect with me at 210 , at 15 , great with wife in the B seat . Absolutely check routinely and adjust -- it will change --period ! Goes from ridin like a mule to smooth as silk with a simple pressure check n set regularly.
Joe