Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Chrome vs Aftermarket Chrome Rim Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 01:57 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

One thing you will need to do as with any chrome wheels you get is run a tap through all the holes as deep as the bolts will go. The threads need to be cleaned and cut from the chrome on the threads.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:18 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sent Chrome Pro's a set of 9 spoke wheels from my Road Glide last March and they did a great job of the plating. Return packaging was good and freight charges were reasonable, but know that the exchange thing can sometimes suck. You have to pay the core charge with your order then ship your cores down for the exchange and that takes time for your core refund. Better to buy them outright if you can get them at a good price IMHO.

FYI, this is the busy time of year for these guys in plating. If you send your own wheels down to have them plated, you can negate the core charge but should allow 6-8 weeks lead time as that is what it often takes for return shipment in the winter. Took almost 8 weeks for mine.

Lastly, when you get a set of wheels chromed, clean the bearing cavities after plating, thread chase all of the holes before installing your rotors, and never reuse an old bearing in a new wheel. Cost of decent rotors must be considered for your new wheels as well. It looks like crap when someone has a nice looking wheel and mounts ugly old rotors regardless of the wheel used.

If you can get a good deal on the rims from Chicago HD, ask them if they'll sell you the bearings and mount the bearings/tires for free. Might work out cheaper or save you the shipping costs from getting a set chromed as shipping can be 150.00 Plus if shipping is return.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:23 PM
GScotty
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by patsfan
Impress's ebay store states that bearings for 08 with ABS are not available. Where did you get your information about ABS install for $150 ?

I just got off the phone with IMPRESS in Calif. I ordered my 08 Ultra wheels with ABS
bearings installed. I am pretty sure he said it is the last pair of ABS bearings that he has. (I think some one here also ordered some today). I also ordered the Chrome front rotors to go with the chrome wheels. Now I just have to find some one to install. It will probably end up being the local dealer & who knows how much they will want.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Wingert
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome Rim Exchange

I was hoping to revive this post to find out what what those who've went the exchange route versus sending their rims in to have them chrome plated experienced?

I have a 2011 SG that I would like to chrome the rims and would be interested in hearing what the experience others have regarding sending in the stock rims for plating versus going the exchange route.

Thanks

Old 11-13-2010, 03:02 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by masterblaster
I just did my 09 rims and the dealer that did the swap was so impressed with their work they set up an account with Chromepros, I am ahppy and after lots of research here there are no reported problems.

Those look sharp. What was the out the door price?

Old 08-02-2012, 03:59 PM
cortiz7766
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rim Exchange

Will i just got sucked by a company named Impress Plating and polishing when i got the rim the front rim came damage he did replace the rim which was nice of them after two weeks later. When i return my old rims and the rim that came in damage that's went the bull **** started. they stated that my tech damage the rim and that the rims i send in for exchange was also damage and is refusing to refund the cord.. to make the story short they got me like a fool..
I think if you are going to get new rims just get them new out of the box you'll notice you may pay a bit more but you'll have less hassle..

Old 08-02-2012, 04:09 PM
risuperglidecustomman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On on my second harley with factory chrome rims! The factory chrome wheels rule!

Old 08-02-2012, 09:57 PM
pjones1969
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cortiz7766
Will i just got sucked by a company named Impress Plating and polishing when i got the rim the front rim came damage he did replace the rim which was nice of them after two weeks later. When i return my old rims and the rim that came in damage that's went the bull **** started. they stated that my tech damage the rim and that the rims i send in for exchange was also damage and is refusing to refund the cord.. to make the story short they got me like a fool..
I think if you are going to get new rims just get them new out of the box you'll notice you may pay a bit more but you'll have less hassle..
That really sucks!! I just used Impress for my wheels, front rotors and front slider exchange, I had a great experience with them.