Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Chrome vs Aftermarket Chrome Rim Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 08:07 PM
Scooter308
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Chrome vs Aftermarket Chrome Rim Questions

Looking at Ebay and some of the Chrome Exchange/Outright sale dealers and what they charge, and looking at Chrome Rims direct from HD and with Chicago HD's 25% off coupon it would work out about the same cost.

Are the factory Chrome rims as nice as the aftermarket ones?

Can you get the old bearings out of your old rims or do you have to buy new? I have '08 UC with ABS and I see it's about $50.00 per rim for new bearings.

I was thinking about going the non-exchange route to keep my stock rims in case I ever had any issues with the chrome (but maybe I'm over thinking it)

I can get non exchange from an ebay plater with 100% feedback for $800.00 shipped or Harley ones thru Chicago HD for $822.00 plus shipping.

Thanks
Scott

Old 12-29-2008, 08:52 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Cast alloy rims that have been chrome plated will never be as good as factory chrome rims. They may hold up for several years, but depending upon the workmanship, it's a crap shoot. Many chrome plating companies will not even handle these projects. As for the bearings, you can swap your own, but why do it for the small savings? Unless you are mechanically adept, they will likely have to go to a machine shop to be pressed in...so not much savings. Selling the original rims would be an issue without bearings...another reason not to swap. Not familiar with the specific Chicago HD rims, but if they are factory chrome, you should be OK.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Scooter308
Cruiser

The ones from Harley are also cast aluminum.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

I assume an outside vendor does them for HD but don't know for sure.

Scott

Old 12-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

These are factory originals, not someones take-offs that have been chrome plated, so you should be OK.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:40 PM
GScotty
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you asked these questions Scott

I also have a 08 Ultra with ABS and I'm looking for some nice chrome rims. Right now
I am looking on the internet at IMPRESS-PLATING-POLISHING and e-bay IMPRESS CHROME.
They have my nine spoke wheel in a really good looking chrome set-up for $545 exchange for both wheels. I did a search for problems with this company and could find no problems like I could one of the other popular chrome company's. This company states they will install the bearings for our ABS cycles for $150 and they also have other add ons such as chrome rotors, etc.

What does every one think of this deal? Does anyone know anything about this company in Calif. I am open to suggestions.

Thanks
Scotty

What do you guys think of this deal? Anyone have experience with this company

Old 12-30-2008, 07:53 AM
rags
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a set of 9 spoke wheels at Impress Plating & Polishing right now. Should be done at any time. I also did a lot of research, talked to them a couple of times, and they are one of the few that offer a 3 year warranty. I have the chrome fork lowers and cowbells so by spring I hope to have the wheels and front end nice and shiney.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:10 AM
cfmii11
Road Master

I've used Impress Plating and they do quality work.
I did come across an Ebay auction for Forge Tec wheels that I couldn't pass up.
I just wanted to be a little different.
I'm still looking for the matching rotors and will swap these when I find them.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:17 AM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Chrome Pros in Chorpus Christi is another one that will do an exchange or you can send yours off to be plated. They machine off the tabs along the rim for the same smooth look as from HD and the triple plate them for $550. I'm going back and forth between them and Impress. Bigskyhd had his done at Chrome Pros and said the quality was top notch. Just another option.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:28 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

I just did my 09 rims and the dealer that did the swap was so impressed with their work they set up an account with Chromepros, I am ahppy and after lots of research here there are no reported problems.

Originally Posted by matrix5
Chrome Pros in Chorpus Christi is another one that will do an exchange or you can send yours off to be plated. They machine off the tabs along the rim for the same smooth look as from HD and the triple plate them for $550. I'm going back and forth between them and Impress. Bigskyhd had his done at Chrome Pros and said the quality was top notch. Just another option.

Attached Thumbnails Factory Chrome vs Aftermarket Chrome Rim Questions-023.jpg   Factory Chrome vs Aftermarket Chrome Rim Questions-024.jpg  
Old 12-30-2008, 08:55 AM
kjtoys
Cruiser
Default chrome wheels

I think any good aftermarket name brand wheels will be fine. Names like pm,rc and several others.

Quick Reply: Factory Chrome vs Aftermarket Chrome Rim Questions