Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing the PCV with Auto-Tune on an '07 SG

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 04:59 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetGlideMedic
OK ya'll keep talkin! I'm learning quite abit from this thread!
Are we making any sense?

Old 05-23-2009, 07:26 PM
idagon
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
That is too rich, obviously. Were you getting this even in the cruise range? I haven't used an FM base map for a while, as when I got the AT in January I immediately established a rich base map based on Jamie's AFR's by simply riding the bike, then cleared the trims and inserted my changes (leaner in the cruise range, mostly). Then when I did the cam upgrade I just repeated the process.

At first I started out with Jamie's base map, and I saw little change in the trim tables for the values I didn't change in the Target AFR tables, and that testifies to the accuracy of that original map.

Yes rich even at cruise.

I set my bike up the exact same way you did, lol.
And I am also using a 14.5:1 cruise on closed loop.

iclick, did you enable startup enrichment or the accelerator pump feature?

I have not felt the need for either one.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:31 PM
idagon
Novice

I must say a big THANK YOU to the guys at Fuel Motto for making the PCV and Auto Tune available to us pre 09 owners!!!

Old 03-08-2010, 09:06 PM
winamos
Advanced

This and other threads on the PCV with auto tune have been a tremendous help. I have been having the PCV with autotune for a year now and have learned what I needed to know from this site. I went from novice to very comfortable making the adjustments needed to match my riding style. Keep the dialogue going.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok, so if I have no idea... and I mean NO idea what the hell you all are talking about, should I even consider getting an auto tune? I was thinking about getting it to help my bike run better, however if I have to set values and such then I think I will just go with the PCV as I do not know anything about setting values and ratios and + or - this and that.

I have 255 cams to add to my bike and will be getting the PCV, the bike already has Reinhardt pipes.

Last edited by Lawdawg; 03-08-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:42 AM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

I had no idea before I got my PCV with autotune either.
If you are adding cams, and are a tuning novice, I highly suggest getting the PCV and the autotune modules from fuelmoto. They will give you a base map very close to perfect. It will only take you a day or two...and re-reading some of the PCV threads to learn what is being talked about. It's totally different when you actually have the device and software in your hands to try the things being discussed.

After a couple days you'll be making adjustments without consequence.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:32 AM
tmcgeesr
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I ran a PCV on my 09 FLHR for about 10 months and 15,000 miles. After following threads on here, I decided to add AT and purchased it from FM. Easy install (hardest part was getting the old oxygen sensors out). Noticed the old Oxygen Sensors were sooted up. Had noticed sooty deposits in the the Rush slip ons while changing my rear tire previously. Riding buddies had mentioned it smelled rich while riding behind me, although the bike ran strong.

All that is gone now. Noticed results within several minutes. Decel popping is greatly reduced. Bike sounds and feels stronger. Starts better when warm. Still checking mileage numbers to see if any improvement will be noticed. So far I'm very satisfied. Should have done it to begin with. Any changes made down stream will be automaticially adjusted for.

I'm not the kind of guy that's obsessed with HP and TQ numbers. I just want the bike to run good, cool, and strong. So far, I think I have made the right choice.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:50 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

My 08 is running very well with V&H true duals, Rush mufflers and a F/M PCV. I am planning on adding the SE255 cams and the AT from Jamie. Question is, do I need to set any tables once the cams and AT are added or will the AT take care of any changes needed.

(oh....this reply also subscribes me in for more reading)

Old 03-09-2010, 11:01 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyClassic
My 08 is running very well with V&H true duals, Rush mufflers and a F/M PCV. I am planning on adding the SE255 cams and the AT from Jamie. Question is, do I need to set any tables once the cams and AT are added or will the AT take care of any changes needed.
Once AT is installed the bike will tune AFR's as you ride. It does not auto-tune ignition advance, but this should be set properly by Fuel Moto before shipment. I started with a close map, although this isn't essential, which was an '07 with 255's and different exhaust. FM will provide a perfect- or close-match to start with.

So, after you install it you won't have to make any changes unless you want to tweak it to your needs, like to increase mileage in the cruise range, but that's another subject. One of these days I'm going to do a detailed write-up on fine-tuning the PCV-AT for mileage and using the map switch, as these topics come up quite often.

Last edited by iclick; 03-09-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:12 AM
scottdoege
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ICLICK is THE MAN!!!

ICLICK wrote this up for me and now I have a much better understanding....

The manual sucks and I can't steer you in the direction of a good tutorial. Go into the PC software and load the map I've sent you. Here's an overview:

Look at Fuel > Cylinder (1 or 2) > Table and you will see values for different throttle-positions and RPM's. For example, on Cyl. 1 at 2000 RPM at 10% TP you'll see "12", which means at that juncture the PCV is adding 12% more fuel than the ECM dictates. You have 250 positions on that table and another 250 on the table for Cyl. 2. This is the "base map," which is the map a PCV without AT would run.

AT takes it a step further. Go to the Primary Module > Auto Tune > Cyl. 1 > Target AFR table. At 2500 @ 10% you'll see "14.6", which means you are telling AT to adjust the base map to maintain that AFR at that juncture.

Now go to Trim table for Cyl. 1 (right below the Target AFR table in the left menu). At 2500 @ 10% you'll see zero, but once you've ridden a while the values will change. Let's say that after an hour of riding you see a -10 in that trim position. That means that AT is trying to create a 14.6:1 AFR in that position, and by doing so it has imposed a -10 trim. That means that it will subtract 10% from the base-map value, which is 12%, and the net would then be 2%. So to maintain 14.6:1 AFR it is adding 2% fuel to the values dictated by the ECM.

When you switch to open-loop it will not run by the trim table and will use only the base map.

Quick Reply: Installing the PCV with Auto-Tune on an '07 SG