Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing the PCV with Auto-Tune on an '07 SG

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 11:31 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,118 Likes on 1,341 Posts

Originally Posted by Yardstick
iclick

In your original write up you mentions a "terminator" and lack of was keeping your AT module and pc v from talking to each other. I am not getting any input from the AT and the AT lights show red on both boxes...any ideas?
As noted when we spoke this morning, your dealer did not install the CAN termination plug in the open port on the AT module when they installed your Auto Tune. The CAN termination plug closes the circuit and the AT will not work without it.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 09-18-2010, 04:30 AM
Watch Guy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Just as dumbfounded as when this all started

I get a dyno installed map from the stealer and the bike (while it ran ok in the midrange) ran really crappy with pinging and bogging down at 100% throttle. Bike was getting 38 mpg. Jamie sends me this map to try. Right away it starts to run cooler and a heck of a lot faster and on top of that, bumped the mileage up to 45 mpg. No more ping and no more bog at 100% throttle. So really, if the auto tune is set up correctly, a dyno run will be a thing of the past, correct? After I installed the power duals all I had to adjust was the fuel trim in the 0% throttle column to about +7 from 500rpm to 3500rpm to eliminate the decel popping.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:26 PM
mitchdm
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 Ultra Limited 103 with Autotune

Originally Posted by mitchdm
I have purchase 3 power commanders from FM. The first one Jamie installed it an dyno'd it for me at his shop. After this experience he has a lifelong customer as he knows. After purchasing the PCIII and letting Jamie DynoTune the 06 SE Ultra ~ basically stock except for the slip ons, & air cleaner. I noticed a huge difference across the board. Like getting a new bike ~ the bike dyno'd at 96hp and 98tq. I ride 30 to 40k per year and have even crossed the 40k mark when time permits. A friend of mine went with me to Jamies shop and witnessed his professionalism and knowledge. He has an 03 SE Road King with only SE Slip Ons. He purchased the PCV which was not available when I bought the PC III. He was ecstatic with the results. So I ended up buying the PCV so I could add the autotune. I got a set of headers off of an 07 SE and the stock pipes. I then drilled out the cats installed the PCV and the autotune. The bike instantly ran even better. I never played with the maps just ran it closed all of the time. When I traded the 100k 06 I removed the PCV and autotune and still had to purchase a PCV for the 10 Ultra Limited. I have finally come up with a set of stock 09 headers (ebay $50) that I had to cut open and remove the cat. Jamie pre mapped the PCV on the bike now ~ the bike runs great but loves fuel. So once I get the pipes back from the poweder coater I will install the autotune and play with the maps thanks to this thread. I am a big fan of the Power Commander ~ it woke up my 06 and hope the autotune and removal of the cat will wake this one up to....
So here it goes ~ got the pipes of an 09 on ebay $50. California pipes so I cut open as on FM's website and removed cat. Had them ceramic coated. Currently running stock pipes while the FM Jackpots are being ceramic coated. Running the map Jamie sent me for the Jackpots with the cat out of the 09 2~1~2 header. I downloaded the new firmware at Powercommander.com, and the map from FM and installed them into the PCV for the 10 ultra ltd. After installing the pipes and the autotune, which I had previously used on my 06 with a PCV and a header off of on 07 SE Ultra, I had everything wired and installed. The AT modules were powered up and seemed to be communicating with the PCV but I could not execute the 02 sensor test. I called FM about this and Jamie said the real test is when riding. I rode with everything wired up and there were no Trim values although the AT was active. After some more research online I determined the Correct Plug for the AT was not the aux power plug in front of the battery but the diagnostics plug under the left fuse cover panel. After rectifying this I am receiving real time AFR values and have TONS of trim. Mostly in the Negative range. This condition is probably due to the stock pipes instead of Jamies Jackpots. So at this point I am going to let it Autotune until the jackpots are installed. I had no issues with backfiring or running lean. The bike ran great. However; a few times my 6th gear indicator lamp disappeared which also killed the cruise controls ability to be used. This has to be due to the autotune since the PCV has been on the bike for 9 months with no issues. I will contact Jamie on this and keep you posted.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:15 PM
mitchdm
Advanced

Originally Posted by mitchdm
So here it goes ~ got the pipes of an 09 on ebay $50. California pipes so I cut open as on FM's website and removed cat. Had them ceramic coated. Currently running stock pipes while the FM Jackpots are being ceramic coated. Running the map Jamie sent me for the Jackpots with the cat out of the 09 2~1~2 header. I downloaded the new firmware at Powercommander.com, and the map from FM and installed them into the PCV for the 10 ultra ltd. After installing the pipes and the autotune, which I had previously used on my 06 with a PCV and a header off of on 07 SE Ultra, I had everything wired and installed. The AT modules were powered up and seemed to be communicating with the PCV but I could not execute the 02 sensor test. I called FM about this and Jamie said the real test is when riding. I rode with everything wired up and there were no Trim values although the AT was active. After some more research online I determined the Correct Plug for the AT was not the aux power plug in front of the battery but the diagnostics plug under the left fuse cover panel. After rectifying this I am receiving real time AFR values and have TONS of trim. Mostly in the Negative range. This condition is probably due to the stock pipes instead of Jamies Jackpots. So at this point I am going to let it Autotune until the jackpots are installed. I had no issues with backfiring or running lean. The bike ran great. However; a few times my 6th gear indicator lamp disappeared which also killed the cruise controls ability to be used. This has to be due to the autotune since the PCV has been on the bike for 9 months with no issues. I will contact Jamie on this and keep you posted.
After speaking with Jamie I had to install the previous version of the Firmware to make the pesty little 6th gear indicator and crusise control work correctly ~ This problem has been resovled in addition the Jackpots are now installed and runnin great ~ still lots of trim ~ tomorrw I'll do 150 or so and attempt to get the Limited dialed in ~ Bike is runnin great and all is working correctly. The dyno guys are the largest sceptics of these products; knocks the necessity to dynotune with every modification out of the game. However after having utilized this product on an 06 which had 93k on the clock when traded and now the 10, I am a beliver and definately like the ability to modify and control fuel economy and or power. If you have any questions Fuelmoto are definitely the experts but I will assist when and where I can... Have Fun!

Old 02-04-2012, 11:19 PM
composed
Advanced

After reading through this thread, I'm startingo think that I should try a PCV for my almost stock 2006 Electra Glide Classic (has plenty of chrome and an oil cooler). I typically averaged 30 -32 mpg (highway or town), and it appears that others are doing significantly better. I could understand the poor gas mileage if I were hitting the throttle hard, but I usually don't. Any thoughts of anything else that I should consider?

Last edited by composed; 02-05-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:11 AM
X Iron Butt
Supporter
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by composed
After reading through this thread, I'm startingo think that I should try a PCV for my almost stock 2006 Electra Glide Classic (has plenty of chrome and an oil cooler). I typically averaged 30 -32 mpg (highway or town), and it appears that others are doing significantly better. I could understand the poor gas mileage if I were hitting the throttle hard, but I usually don't. Any thoughts of anything else that I should consider?
You might want to look at the new Power Vision. This thread started in Jan
of 09 and P Vision is from the last 3 yrs. of techno advances. I think the
P Vision re-flashes the ECM instead of intercepting and modifying the tune.
Mo money but less cht and you get a nice little screen you can mount and
see real time what is going on with your tune or flash it and remove it.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:34 PM
composed
Advanced

Originally Posted by X Iron Butt
You might want to look at the new Power Vision. This thread started in Jan
of 09 and P Vision is from the last 3 yrs. of techno advances. I think the
P Vision re-flashes the ECM instead of intercepting and modifying the tune.
Mo money but less cht and you get a nice little screen you can mount and
see real time what is going on with your tune or flash it and remove it.
I decided to call and visit about the various options for my bike. I was ensured that even the PC3 could help, but obviously would not allow me to auto tune the bike. As for my bad fuel mileage they were at a loss.
I decided to contact the HD dealership that has been doing my maintenance and ask if anything was noticed which could hurt my gas mileage. I was told that I need to change out my fuel filter which would cost around $300.! I am at a loss to understand how this could cost so much (even with labor), let alone how it could hurt my gas mileage to the point my pipes are black (30-32 mpg consistently). Any thoughts?

Last edited by composed; 02-06-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:11 PM
Jeff6146
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iclick
i've been a happy pciii owner for two years, installed on my '07 sg, and was excited about the new pcv with optional wide-band auto-tune kit when i heard that it had been introduced. The problem was that dynojet has earmarked the pcv for only '09 and later bikes, not because it won't work on earlier models but at least partly to squelch the support burden brought on by retrofitting it to older bikes. I'm sure part of this decision was because the pcv uses a different file format than the pciii, and the two are not compatible. Jamie at fuel moto has developed two "retrofit kits" that will work on '07 and '08 bikes, and he will warrant and support these models independent of dynojet. These will cost $10 more than '09 pcv's ($299 vs. $289). He will also provide maps for the kits he sells for these model years, as the pciii and pcv file formats are different (more on that below).

Two weeks ago i placed an order for the pcv only, as the at kit was not yet available. When it arrived i simply removed the pciii and installed the pcv in its place. It is much smaller than the pciii, doesn't require a 9v adapter to power-up tethered to a computer, and has more features than before. First off i did the tp settings, requiring only the ignition to be turned on without the engine running. It ties into the j1850 port on the ecu and can extract various information including engine temperature. Now you have options to alter your map through offset values for engine temperature, gear, manifold pressure, and speed. I won't go into these, as most won't use it, but for some it may be good that these features are there. I thought the engine-temp variable might work to alter the map when head temp climbs too high, and it does do that, but the downside is that the offset alters the entire map. For example, let's say you set 300° to apply an offset of +10 (10% more fuel than the base map) to cool things down, it will do so across the board. This may be good for the cruise range but may seriously hurt performance at the high end. I would have preferred having the ability to select what areas of the map will be altered, and jamie says that might be offered in a future software and firmware upgrade. Applying offsets for different gears, turbo pressures, and speeds doesn't fit my needs, but the features are there to play with if needed.

About three days later i was informed that the at modules were being shipped, so i called jamie once more. My thought was "it's not broke and running flawlessly, so let's fix it some more." he had received the first shipment that day and said he would get a kit off to me that day, a level of service i've learned to expect from him. The cost for the at kit is $299. Two days later it is delivered and the next day i got to work. The kit includes two small modules linked together by one deutsch connector, three four-pin wires, two bosch wide-band o2 sensors, two terminators, and an assortment of cable ties, velcro, etc.

Each module has two four-pin connectors, for connecting to the pcv and each other, and six small holes for bare wires (o2 sensors) secured by screws. In the past i've found the pciii guides and manuals to be lacking in clarity and although the pcv instructions are better i find them to be similarly cloudy. The info is there, for the most part, but not always presented in a straighforward or logical manner, imo. Here is a chronology and some tips along the way.

Installing the pcv was without intrugue or challenge and mostly plug-and-play (see photo 1). The only sticking point is that the old pciii map won't work, but the good news is that jamie provided a pcv map for my bike already installed in the unit, including target afr tables.

Now the fun part, which is installing the pcv at modules and their sundry parts. This wasn't so quick or straightforward, requiring me to cram two more small modules into an already crowded right side cover and installing two wide-band o2 sensors, finding a location for their large connectors, and routing the wires for each back to the right side cover. It took about three hours in total for me, but i took my time and didn't get in a hurry. This time included changing my mind on locations, routing, etc., several times.

My first step was installing the o2 sensors, which was a step i feared, having trouble with the stock front sensor when i removed it in favor of a plug. That earlier effort didn't go smoothly and i munged up the sensor threads a bit taking it out, so at that time i left the rear sensor installed, unplugged of course. Jamie advised me to warm the bike first, then break the sensor with a wrench and 7/8" slotted socket, apply some penetrant, wait a few minutes, then work it in and out slowly and carefully, applying more penetrant if needed. Oddly, the rear sensor came out without a hitch, and i didn't even need any penetrant. The front plug required the entire gory procedure above and was as obstinant as the sensor was two years ago. When installing the new o2 sensors i applied some anti-sieze compound to the threads first.

Routing the wires was a matter of taking my time and making a neat job of it, using wire-ties in numerous places along the way. I secured the rather large o2 connector in front on the inside of the crossmember between the downtubes and behind the right side cover in the rear. Next, plug the six bare wires into each module, the front into the module marked "1" and rear into "2". Note: In the past dynojet designated table 1 for rear, table 2 for front, but it is now reversed. This is important, as your map may have different values for each cylinder, and if you are moving values from an old pciii map you'll need to reverse the tables. Jamie has already done this on maps installed in the units. The small wires going into the small holes is a bit of an ordeal, or were for me. Don't even try it before using a paperclip to puncture the membrane inside the holes, a step not mentioned in the instructions, as they won't go in otherwise. Push the bare wires all the way in and tighten each screw, one wire at a time.

Next, plug the deutsch connector that's attached to the two modules into the gray stock diagnostic plug located near the ecu, the one with the rubber cap on it. This provides power for the at modules. Next, go back to your pcv instructions and look for figure m, which shows a wiring diagram for the at modules. Oddly, this is not included with the at kit. Make special note of the "terminator," which i missed at first, and that caused needless delays trying to figure out why the at modules were not communicating with the pcv and software. Jamie helped greatly in getting me straight on this and a couple of other things along the way. He plans on including more detailed instructions with his retrofit kits that should eliminate most of the install questions i had. This terminator is a small plastic plug that is in the kit, not the rubber plugs to weatherproof the connectors, and although you only need one my kit came with two.

Part of the fun is finding a place to put all the hardware, even though none of it is particularly large, and routing the wires. You can see the final install in photo 2. I used the cranny usually used for the stock siren for one module (see photo 3), as since i use a radio shack siren (seen on the top right of photo 2) mine was vacated. For most of you with '07 flh's and stock sirens you will have to get creative, although there should be enough space to cram it all in somewhere. The second is clearly visible to the right of the pcv. As i mentioned, in short order jamie should be equipping the retrofit kits with more detailed install instructions.

As for the software you will have many options you don't have with the pciii. Without going into extreme detail, you have an "auto tune configuration," where you can activate at, enable a hardware switch, require a runtime spec (in seconds) before at activates, require a specific engine temperature before activation, and specify trim limitations. I enabled all options, setting time to 60 sec., temp to 160°, enrichment trim maxed at 20% and enleanment trim at 30%. On the right side of the main menu you will see rpm, tp, speed (if configured), gear (if configured), engine temp (from stock sensor on front head), pressure (if configured), duty cycle 1 and 2, fuel adjustment 1 and 2 (from base map), ignition adjustment 1 and 2 (from base map), and real-time afr1 and afr2. Here's a screen shot i stole from jamie's site:

what's neat about this setup is that you have three fuel tables to work with. First is the base map, which doesn't change unless you choose to manually apply the at trim values to the map, the afr map where you designate the target afr for each cylinder, and finally a trim table that shows how the at modules are altering the base map to match your target afr values. This "target afr" table is shown in the above photo. You can save, get, send, and open as with the pciii software, but i haven't found a print option, where the map could be printed or saved as an image file. Maybe this will come in a later version. Note: The pcv software and firmware has already been updated, so before doing any adjustments download both upgrades from the pc site first. Also, the afr values in the photo are not those i've used, as my cruise range is much leaner in the interest of better gas mileage.

Today i took my first ride under at, and the trim table showed how the at modules were altering the base map. The bike ran flawlessly. I plan on using jamie's rather rich base map and letting at run according to the afr values i've specified, then use my map switch to switch to the base map (open-loop) in summer traffic when the going gets hot. Any on/off switch will work, and it plugs into the pcv using bare wire and screws. Remember to break the membrane inside these holes first!
do you happen to have or know where i can find the instructional manual for a pcv for a 2012 harley rg ultra