Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beware of Stronger Batwing Braces

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 09:24 AM
TomKennedy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beware of Stronger Batwing Braces

My braces kept breaking (huge problem which HD won't acknowledge), so I welded stronger ones. They worked fine, except for one detail. This didn't stop the vibration. It moved to the next weakest point. That being the inner faring itself at the point where the brace attaches to the inner faring.

"Bang" the inner faring broke. (The braces held up fine) My inner faring had to be replaced. This is much more expensive than replacing the braces. The dealer suggested my strong braces be replaced by the HD weak ones, or the faring would break again. I think the braces are deliberately made weak so they will break instead of the faring.

I have the extended warranty, so it covered the faring replacement, and the constant brace replacements, except there is a $50.00 deductible each time.

There doesn't seem to be any fix to this vibration problem. Although I am told the 2009 models do have the fix, whatever it is. The best answer I can think of is to sell the bike. However, the next unsuspecting guy is stuck with the problem.

There is an aftermarket product with a big rubber washer to deal with the vibration problem. I don't know how it works. Site is attached below FYI.

In my opinion Harley should have come up with a recall fix for this a long time ago. I know that after riding Harleys for almost 50 years (including the real bad years of the 50s to 80s) this is the last straw and last HD for me

http://www.savior250psi.ca/QuickRepair_about.html

Old 01-22-2009, 10:46 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

so your finally going to get smart?

Old 01-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My '05 E-Glide had 92k on it and never had this happen. And I live on a dirt road that's a bit bumpy and has some washboard here and there that's 2.5 miles from the paved road each way. I ride around most of the rough spots but it's still more jarring and bumping than the average H-D sees for sure. I have no idea why my bike's braces withstood that but it did I guess. The bike is gone now but just saying it must not happen to every bike with a batwing and sure should have with my bike considering where I ride.

Good luck with your problem though.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:24 AM
hdbe
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what year?

Old 01-22-2009, 11:41 AM
NewHarleyGear
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Just replaced my left side brace. OEM cost $58.00. Maybe that's why they don't have a recall or permanently fix the problem.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:44 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone bought the Savior product? Is the 29.95 for two braces?

Old 01-22-2009, 11:47 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,978 Likes on 1,724 Posts

Originally Posted by gmc
Has anyone bought the Savior product? Is the 29.95 for two braces?
Could go to the hardware store and buy 2 rubber isolators and a piece of metal and bolts, etc. for a lot less. Just bend the metal in a vice and rivet it on.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:51 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Could go to the hardware store and buy 2 rubber isolators and a piece of metal and bolts, etc. for a lot less. Just bend the metal in a vice and rivet it on.
+1 , that's what I was thinking, always stunned by what folk want for a simple product.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:53 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,978 Likes on 1,724 Posts

Although the pics on that site give a person a good prototype to follow to make their own

Old 01-22-2009, 12:36 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gmc
+1 , that's what I was thinking, always stunned by what folk want for a simple product.
I am always stunned what a person would pay for a simple product!!!

Quick Reply: Beware of Stronger Batwing Braces