Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing ingnition "key" off FLHTC

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 02:54 PM
FX4 Level II
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default removing ingnition "key" off FLHTC

I am trying to removing my inner fairing to get to the top of my forks on my '02 Electra Glide Classic so I can eventually change the fork oil and install my new lowering kit. I have the manual, and it says to push that tab on the inderside of the key up, then turn the **** 60 degrees and it should come off the stud it's on?? I can't for the life of me get this thing off?! Any suggestions or tricks with help getting it off?? Thank you

Old 02-02-2009, 03:05 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,976 Likes on 1,722 Posts

The key itself has to be in the ignition and turned, are you doing that?

Old 02-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Doc14
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I remember right this is how we did it on my dads 03, turn the switch to accessory, with the key in the ignition and while pushing the pin in, turn the KEY back counter clockwise and pull up, it should come off. If this is wrong sorry, also use the SEARCH button and type in ignition switch. Hope you get it off.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:11 PM
FX4 Level II
Cruiser

Thanks guys, I am going to retry it.......yeah it says in the book to turn to acccessory, but I didn't have the key in the ignition, I just had it unlocked. I will try tonight to do it with the key in the ignition.
I did a search, and after reading through some, it sounds like putting the think back on is a pain in the a$$?? Is it?

Old 02-02-2009, 03:56 PM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by FX4 Level II
Thanks guys, I am going to retry it.......yeah it says in the book to turn to acccessory, but I didn't have the key in the ignition, I just had it unlocked. I will try tonight to do it with the key in the ignition.
I did a search, and after reading through some, it sounds like putting the think back on is a pain in the a$$?? Is it?
Just did mine a few weeks ago... hopefully I can remember right. key has to be in and turned b4 the button underneath will depress. after that the ignition lock should come out.

reinstall is not bad once you get the hang of it. Look carefully at the piece that comes off the bike... you will notice the nubs on one side are square-ish, the other side is dovetail shaped. For lack of a better word, this is like the 'key'. the 'lock' part, still attached to the bike, has to be lined up with the 'key' to work right. With the ignition switch removed, these 2 'locks' will rotate independent of each other, and must be lined up so it goes back together properly. Search your toolbox to find the right sized flat screwdriver that will allow you to rotate the bottom 'locks' independent of the top one... shining a flashlight down in the hole, make sure that both dovetail 'locks' are lined up at the 2:00 position. Then with the ignition lock pointing toward the "Lock" position, it should slide right in place. IIRC the bottom 'lock' piece down in the hole controls to the fork lock if you accidentally lock the forks over and need to move them, you can move this one and the forks will release.

if you study the nubs and their position on the ignition lock while is out, this will make more sense.

Last edited by steveh326; 02-02-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Heathen
Tourer

Key in,Put on acc.,Depress button,Turn key back 60 degrees , switch will be in your hand.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:09 PM
FX4 Level II
Cruiser

This is really a PITA. For some reason I cannot get it off? Is there a better tool to use to depress the tab underneath than a small screwdriver? It's pissing me off!

Old 02-02-2009, 11:08 PM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

insert key ----TURN THE **** TO FORK LOCK----depress the release button
at the bottom left side with a small screwdriver ---PUSH KEY DOWN AND TURN
60 DE GREES COUNTERCLOCKWISE lifd and remove ****. be aware that spring
will drop out of bore when **** is removed
Leon Anthony

Old 02-02-2009, 11:16 PM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

p s do not stick any thing down in the switch to line anything up when you
go to put the **** back put it back [JUST LIKE YOU TOOK IT OUT] with the ****
over on fork lock and key in and turned 60 degrees counterclockwise and it will
drop right back in turn key clockwise and it will lock in

Old 02-03-2009, 02:22 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by FX4 Level II
Unless the 2002 is different form the 2007, you turn the switch to Accessory (mine says to Lock), then turn the key CCW while pushing up on the tab under the switch ****. With the switch pointing up the tab is at about the 7 o'clock position. Don't turn the switch while turning the key. You'll hear a click and it will pop up a bit, and watch for the spring, which will fall out when you pull the switch **** out. You can pop it off in about two seconds once you get the hang of it.

One caveat: When you remove the odd-shaped nuts and washers under the **** that hold the fairing cap on, don't reinsert the switch shaft and **** and change its position unless these washers are in place. If you do you will likely get the tumblers out of sync and you'll have to futz around with them with a flat-blade screwdriver. It's no fun so be careful.

Quick Reply: removing ingnition "key" off FLHTC