Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caution!!! Be careful using a center stand

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Raaze07
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think I saw an answer yet on what type of center stand he has? I have the Wheeldock, but after reading this I think I'll chock my wheel just to make sure she doesn't move.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:01 AM
vrodb
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raaze07
I don't think I saw an answer yet on what type of center stand he has? I have the Wheeldock, but after reading this I think I'll chock my wheel just to make sure she doesn't move.

I’m not sure I saw which one it was either but regardless if you push forward it is going to go off of any center stand, this is what makes them work. I am glad there was no damage but the chocking the wheel is a great way to go if you are doing this kind of work on the bike. Also leaving the bike in gear and side stand down is helpful.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:07 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch - sorry to hear about that but thanks for posting. Might save us some problems someday (especially me). I have the adjustable HD type and was going to keep "lowering" the settings until it was almost a ride-off and could have done the same thing.

Last edited by RangeRat; 02-08-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:26 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

VrodB - If you're still watching this thread, I have a related issue --

Just installed the "Christmas Special" (thanks again!) center stand on my FLHX yesterday.

Goes up easy enough. Getting it down off the stand on the other hand... I can't "ride off" (rear tire just starts grinding away) and wow - I'm a fairly big guy, but it takes some horsepower that I can hardly muster to push the bike forward hard enough.

Granted - This isn't going to be an "everyday" stand - More for limited space, cleaning & maintenance, etc. But dyaannng... Maybe 5# more air in the shocks?

Old 02-09-2009, 12:40 AM
Silverstone
Tourer

I always try to turn my front wheel to the left and lock the steering when it's on the WheelDock and I'm working on the bike. The sideways position of the tyre stops the bike moving forward enough for the stand to flick back accidentally. If I need the wheel straight I've made a wooden chock that stops her rolling for'ard.
I've learned to be extra careful over the years mostly because I'm such a dork.
It's not nice when one's pride and joy hits the deck. Is it?

Old 02-09-2009, 04:50 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had a Wheeldock center stand on my bike for over a year and I've found that as long as the bike's in gear, there's no danger of it rolling off the stand no matter what I'm doing. I suspect the OP's tranny was in neutral when his mishap occurred.

It has come to my attention that if you shove hard enough, you CAN apparently push your bike off its center stand even when it is in gear. So, if you're going to be really hossing your bike around when its on its center stand, you'd best use a wheel chock.

Last edited by XTrooper3936; 02-10-2009 at 06:33 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:00 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cybermunster
Similar thing happened to me, re-installing pipes, pushed a bit too hard forward, fortunately she didn't go off the stand but trust me you do see it in super slo mo ...visions of cracked, scratched fairings, bent/broken levers ...scares the bejesus out of you ...8}
If your bike falls over from a stop, it normally won't suffer any damage at all let alone the train wreck you describe. Unless, of course, there happens to be a giant boulder next to the side it decides to fall on.

I've had my current bike fall over three times (twice in learning what not to do with the center stand and once when my jeans cuff got snagged on the back shifter peg ) and nothing was ever damaged in the falls. Fact is, as long as you have front and rear guards, the bike doesn't even fall over that far. On the guards, it rests at around a 45 degree angle.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:17 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnScrip
VrodB - If you're still watching this thread, I have a related issue --

Just installed the "Christmas Special" (thanks again!) center stand on my FLHX yesterday.

Goes up easy enough. Getting it down off the stand on the other hand... I can't "ride off" (rear tire just starts grinding away) and wow - I'm a fairly big guy, but it takes some horsepower that I can hardly muster to push the bike forward hard enough.

Granted - This isn't going to be an "everyday" stand - More for limited space, cleaning & maintenance, etc. But dyaannng... Maybe 5# more air in the shocks?

Same issue here....Yesterday with the wife on the back and the shocks set at 40psi, the tire just spun.....It was a bitch to rock the bike forward to get it off the stand....

Any suggestions??????

Old 02-09-2009, 07:28 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

You have to be very careful to maintain the bike totally upright when putting the center stand down while astride the bike. Because if your not level with the ground and one of the stand sides touches down before the other, then the force you exert only helps to push the bike over to the opposite side and if you're not careful and payin' attention, the bike goes over on you. Like XTrooper above said, only on its side to a 45 degree angle though and as long as you have guard rails on your bags there is no damage at all. (OK, ask me how I know this...)

It almost happened to me a second time too on the very same day but the second time I felt the bike being pushed over and I was able to catch it. Thats a lot of weight to be pushing over with a lever and your center stand acts as a lever, especially if one leg gets to the ground before the other one. So, in any uneven ground, use the side stand instead... (BOTH times this happened to me, I was in two different flat paved parking lots though.) Just pay attentuion and be careful using these stands....

Last edited by RODEO; 02-09-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:28 AM
aussiesport
Advanced

HDV grind 1/4 inch off bottom of stand " joking mate " i just finished making my own and it is set very well it overcentre locks well with springs and is still easy to rock off on or off the bike ? so i dont know why you are having so much trouble ?!?!

Quick Reply: Caution!!! Be careful using a center stand