Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caution!!! Be careful using a center stand

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:02 AM
Deepsouth251
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amen on being careful. I had taken to putting the center stand up while filling with gas but after last Saturday, that has ended. After filling the tank I went to push the bike off the stand but guess what, some of the gas station aprons actually slope away from the pumps, some worse than others. I don't always straddle the bike when pushing off the center stand because of the position of the stand so far back, I like to have my foot on the lever to keep it from slamming so hard on the frame when it goes up. When I pushed it off, the weight of the bike shifted to the downslope side and she like to went over, being a big guy is the only thing that saved it, but I have learned my lesson, I will only use the center stand in the garage or in a perfectly level parking lot. By the way I still love my wheeldock stand.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:42 AM
racklefratz
Road Master

Originally Posted by tima
What make center stand, not that it makes a difference......
I would expect it to make a lot of difference. My UC goes on and off my Wheeldock centerstand really easily, because the stand doesn't raise the bike much. My Goldwing's center stand lifts the back wheel off the ground, and it takes a lot more effort to get it on and off the stand.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:03 AM
vrodb
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnScrip
VrodB - If you're still watching this thread, I have a related issue --

Just installed the "Christmas Special" (thanks again!) center stand on my FLHX yesterday.

Goes up easy enough. Getting it down off the stand on the other hand... I can't "ride off" (rear tire just starts grinding away) and wow - I'm a fairly big guy, but it takes some horsepower that I can hardly muster to push the bike forward hard enough.

Granted - This isn't going to be an "everyday" stand - More for limited space, cleaning & maintenance, etc. But dyaannng... Maybe 5# more air in the shocks?
First thing I would check is the air in the suspension. If you are running less than 20lbs you might not have enough preload on the rear tire to drive off. Another thing is if your tire is worn down you will have less traction. If you let the clutch out too fast the back tire will most likely break traction and you should just ease out the clutch and let the torque pull you off. Getting your weight up off the seat also helps.

There are two considerations when designing a drive off stand. You are either going to get the ability to drive off from any parking situation, including parking uphill, or you are going to get all the weight up on the stand and have the maximum stability but not be able to drive off. I much prefer stability over the ease of putting the bike up and the ability to always drive off.

Another thing we discover when doing installs at the shows (on the pre 09) is that the frame has a lot of variations on where the bow-tie brace is welded, both in the vertical positioning and also in positioning front to rear. If the brace is placed further back the stand will act like it is too short and if the brace is forward too far it makes the stand seem to be too tall. This is because the two end pieces of the center stand which fit on the bottom of the frame rails goes around the tubing where it bends up and touches on two spots forward of the bend and two spots on the bend in the frame.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:27 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have the same issue with "riding off" as well. I have an '09 RKC which has been lowered an inch. I can get it up on the stand myself by standing next to the bike. Unfortunately, both times I tried riding off, the back tire just spun in the air. Perhaps I'm not heavy enough. As far as the air suspension, I don't want to mess with it because it's set up for my weight. (I think it's at around 5 - 10 lbs).

First time I'd tried to ride off the stand, I was at the Indy picking it up, in his driveway. He had to push me to get it off. 2nd time, I was in my garage. The floor is painted, so it's more "slick" than regular concrete. Not a chance of riding off with a spinning rear wheel. Every time I tried to rock it forward, the entire bike scooted forward on the floor, still on the stand, with me on it. Same thing happened when a friend pushed from behind. (I don't think I have to ever worry about pushing it off the stand accidentally!) We were afraid to put something under the rear tire for traction because we thought the tire might shoot the shim off like a missle. We wedged something under the stand legs for traction and were finally able to get it to roll off.

I think the only way I'm going to be able to get it off the stand by myself, in my garage at least, is to put a piece of carpet or a rubber mat under the stand to have enough traction to keep the legs stationary while I push the bike forward. I'm still new to it and hope it's just part of the learning curve rather than me not having enough strength to operate it solo.

I'm guessing it's a learned art. That, and each bike is different along with the weight and strength of the rider.

Last edited by monstead; 02-09-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:46 PM
IRready
Road Master

I know there are some advantages to a center stand, but for me they do not warrant spending nearly $300 and then have the possibility of dumping my ride. My side stand has worked for 20+ years. I suspect it will work for another 20 with no worrys. Remind me again what the advantages are??? Less space? Cleaning? My jack stand works for that just fine with no possibility of a slow motion dump. I do like the center stand, just not THAT much.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:41 AM
aussiesport
Advanced

not nocking any manufacturers but if you make your own stand it is custom made to fit after many "many" prototypes rofl the one i have just finished is perfect for what i want it for ,being strapped down in a boat? and fitting into the garage better ,even if you have a bought one you can modify it if you feel the need ! but above all be carefull and really think about whats happening around and with you ,

Old 02-10-2009, 06:12 AM
timbakersr
Cruiser

Welll after 40 reply's I hope someone reads this far down. I bought a EZ up center stand and the day I bought it I droped my bike. I was sitting on the bike and used my foot to lift the bike back and up on the stand, what happened was the two **** on the bottom of the center stand have to be touching the ground and they weren't so I pushed to bike straight over to my left sitting on it. So now I either get off the bike with the side stand down and do it (careful to bal the bike on the two narrow **** of the center stand and pushing it up and back.)
Also worthy of mentioning if you try and use it on asphalt that is flat but kinda rocky or chewed up or uneven, (but it can look good) don't do it as I put it up one day then I sorta rocked it back on forth to see if she was steady and the two narrow **** on the bottom of stand was wobbleing terribly. The serface has to be perfect for this thing to work and be safe.
I like the wheel chalking idea but that would be for the garage not for when I pull up at the grocery store, and in the garage my serface is perfect so I don't know when I'll be useing it. ha
Just keep the front tire up as mentioned in a earlier post.
I do think the stand is awsome for oil changes and cleaning the bike.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:20 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

Why wouldn't you expect a ride off stand to disengage when you push on the rear of the bike?

Old 02-10-2009, 07:43 AM
ProFlasher
2nd Gear
Default Centerstand

After I had the tire changed .. I ask the service manager to check to see if the drive belt was tight enough. The bike was on the center stand and they sent out the part time weekend kid. He knelt down beside the bike and pulled up on the center stand. Its a good thing I was standing there. I guess he had never seen one. But the way the bike was falling,,, He would have been a good cushion. PC

Old 02-10-2009, 08:00 AM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a VwowV center stand it works good it is adjustable, I did have to drill
some detentes into it or the legs would telescope back up and the bike would fall

Quick Reply: Caution!!! Be careful using a center stand