Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Touring Muffler REVIEW / Stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 04:38 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SE Touring Muffler REVIEW / Stage 1

Today I installed the Stage 1 upgrade as follows:

HD Screamin' Eagle TOURING Mufflers #80732-09
(50 State street legal)
W/ #80716-08 Chrome Muffler Bracker Covers

Fuel-Moto CHROME Hi Flow A/C

Dynajet PC-V (Fuel Moto)

SOUND CLIP - VIDEO HERE:
http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=MVI_0759.flv

Here's my opinion. These mufflers are PERFECT (for me) as I tried Monster Ovals and personally found them a tad loud. These Mufflers are not only 50 State street legal but they remind me of the MOs when you get into the throttle but are nicely quiet when you get off the throttle. The End caps need to be ordered seperately and there are like 6 choices from HD. These black and chrome bullet tips look dynamite! Downside, they are supposed to come apart for easy cleaning and I could barely get them apart out of the box to install them. (I dont envision taking them apart ever again.)

The A/C was a snap to install and yes, Fuel-Moto now offers it with a chrome backing plate. Now I need to look for a nice cover to go on there.

The PC-V was easy as well but here's two hints. Break open your service manual and learn how the connectors are supposed to come apart (and go back together) before you begin, so you don't "F" up the pins etc. The service manual even warns of this and when I started, I had no idea how to disconnect those wiring block locks. You need to make sure that the "lock" is fully open before you pull apart and then fully locked again when done. I dare say the hardest part of the job was tucking the excess wiring and one wiring block down into the frame area but it finally went into the front left quadrant as if you were sitting in the saddle.

I took the bike for about an hour ride and noticed it's definitely got more power but I also noticed it seems to be sucking down more gas as well. I'll have to check mileage as I ride into spring.

The HELMET is shown for anyone interested, HJC's color WINE is a dead wringer for HD's Red Hot Sunglow. That's the new HJC Sy-Max II which is a flip up front.

These mufflers are "keepers" and now the bike sounds like a Harley should but still remain very stereo friendly when you want them to be.

-

-

-

Last edited by RODEO; 02-14-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:03 PM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Good write up and pics. Thanks for the info.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:17 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

According to the HD web site these are the same as the 64895-07a except for the 09.
I have been using the 64895-07A for a year now and really like them. When/if you go to true duals they will add some volume. If you change cams they get almost too loud. With the Factory HD header they add a touch of good volume. I have about 15,000 miles on mine now and they are border line too loud. I do have true duals and changed cams.
good write up
dd
jim

Old 02-14-2009, 06:26 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can say with certainly that they are less obnoxious then the V&H Monster Ovals. (You'll find many people who say the MOs are louder then was expected). These SEs seem ideal for me. Definitely louder and more agressive then the stock cans. It's a crap shoot, trial and error but this time I am happy with my choice.

Heard someone say the new 09s are now made by Vance & Hines.. Dont know if the other year models are though.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:42 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

you 100% correct with that. I had the V&H classic's 4" cans and they were really too loud for me. See my sig... I do not think I will find anything better. I can still hear my tunes just fine at 80 mph. On long hard pulls when loaded is when it gets almost too loud.
dd