Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blocking traffic (legal)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 12:44 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

I like cheese...

Old 07-16-2017, 01:24 PM
BJB
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LadderCo2;16435766

Illinois has been working on a training/certification class similar to Minnesota where you can be certified to stop traffic for groups larger than 20 motorcycles.[I
In the Minnesota class you don't need to inform local authority[/I]..
Actually here in MN you are supposed to notify the proper LE body for every LGU you pass through.

I am a "graduate" of the MN approved road guard class and frankly I would not ever admit it if questioned by a cop on a ride I was road guarding for. The way they want you to do it is totally unrealistic and off the record I have had an instructor say as much. I see the main issue is that you are are supposed to have a 16" X 16" octagon stop sign with you to be holding up. A small ride (150 bikes or so) will have the road guards as part of the ride. Where do you carry even the collapsed signs?
I know the Patriot Ride out of Blaine has thousands of riders leave in flights from the northern suburb Blaine. they have a 30 or so mile loop and have cops at the intersections where there could be a conflict.
The Ronald MC Donald House ride out of New York Mills MN, on US #10, is a very rural ride (The kind I ride on) and will have a string of 3000 bikes. The cops stop traffic on the crossings of US #10 and the road guards, all certified BTW, break up the other intersections and do NOT ride but rather hop scotch ahead of the ride to await the main body. The ride organizer is an undertaker and we had a long discussion at a relatives funeral. He raises tens of thousand of dollars for the RMH in Fargo, too.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:45 PM
electra_boogaloo
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

i saw this blog a while back. they rambled and ranted about how the cop was a dick, but he seemed calm for the situation at hand. pretty sure the biker got a ticket for obstructing traffic. for small groups it's easier to wait until there's a big opening. if that's not possible look at your boys and say "good luck!" then wheelie out of there like someone is chasing you for child support.