Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impressions: HD Fairing Lowers on Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 11:42 AM
marcparnes
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tda69
eGlidegoodies may have the vents you are looking for. They are for Road Glides made up to 2009. Check it out. http://www.eglidegoodies.com/id160.html
Those are Hoppe's. You can find them for $145 on eBay :-)

Marc

Old 03-21-2009, 01:50 PM
mslater741
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tatuaje
so has anyone any real life info on removing the baffle? what have you noticed?
i always remove the air baffle when its above 70 deg. i think the instructions that come with the lowers advise to do it. lets some air in to help cool you down i wouldnt say you get buffeted but you dont roast until above 80 deg.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:05 PM
briggs07
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pastor John
Just finished a 400 mile trip with my new HD fairing lowers and thought I would offer some impressions.

Man, these things were expensive! $660 from my local dealer, and they want $320 for the glove boxes - those will have to wait until NEXT tax refund!

Install was easy, but each is shaped slightly different than the other, so when you stand over the tank and look at the top of the lowers one appears to sit back a bit further than the other. Comments from six other owners seem to indicate that this is intentional and not the result of incorrect installation. Makes me wonder why.... my dealer didn't have a clue and had never noticed it before. In any event, they mounted quickly and without drama.

Took me a while to get used to where to place my foot on the footboards. The edge of the lowers infringe on the leading edge of the footboards, so my sloppy mounting style had me panicky for a while as the toe of my boot got hung up on the side of the lower when putting my foot down at a stop or placing it on the footboard after getting underway. By the end of the day today, I had gotten accustomed to the new positioning.

The lowers definitely block most of the air that used to hit the toe of the boot and my shin. The outside edge of my trouser leg still catches some wind, but overall there is good protection. The most noticeable difference in wind is that now the inside of my arms do not catch any wind coming up from the sides of the tank. In the winter, even with my Gerbings jacket, the wind coming up the sides of the tank would make the inside of my arms cold. That's gone now.

Helmet buffeting is almost entirely gone. I used to get quite a bit of noise and buffeting, but now there is just some wind around the helmet. It's much more pleasant now. I actually rode with my half helmet for a bit yesterday and it was tolerable.

The lowers seem to reflect a little more engine noise than without them, but it could be that I'm just hearing better now that most of the wind noise and buffeting is gone.

So I am pleased. They look pretty good, too. It will be interesting to see if I can stand them in the heat of the summer...

Holy ****. baught mine brand new from harley for my EGS for $360 and they came with the glove boxes and they were the vented type. Got them painted for free. And installation was simple. Guess the road glides cost a little more and dont come with the glove boxes like they do for the Electra Glide? thats weird.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:44 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Pastor John
...and they want $320 for the glove boxes - those will have to wait until NEXT tax refund!
You may want to go ahead, as the glove boxes are only $141 plus shipping from Zanotti's per pair. I've been thinking about these, too, and may bite in the near future, as the snap-in covers are worthless.