Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going solo with the Ultra...what are you using for a seat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 02:57 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Going solo with the Ultra...what are you using for a seat?

Finally put the detachable kit on the 08 Ultra to remove the Tour Pak. Been riding around with the Tour Pak off during the week, and putting the Pak back on during the weekends when the wife rides with me. When solo, just using the stock seat.

What's everybody using for a solo seat that gives good looks, as well as comfort? With the Pak off, there's a lot of stuff to hide under the seat. When solo, I putt around town, or sometimes go out for a few hours on the state highways.

Open to ideas (and pics if you have any of your solo'd out Ultra).

Old 04-20-2009, 06:52 PM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did you change your license plate mount? what did you use i got the detach and the parts guy said the stock one would work...not it hit the bracket when i put the pack back on and it won't lock

Old 04-20-2009, 07:17 PM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is one perminate and I am glad it is.
Enjoying a ride and get a cell call to grocery shop on the way home--no problem.
Stop at the hardware store for a gallon of paint and other supplies--no problem.
Camping trips solo, load up the tent, sleeping bag on passenger seat---lots of room.
I like having my tour pack available for almost everything I need to get.
I do have to pull my RV with the pick up truck though!

Old 04-20-2009, 07:45 PM
raines96+
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Corbin classic solo and love it. It took about 2k to get it broken in but now its wonderful. I made the switch after my wife drove off with my stock touring seat on the trunk of her car. I also bought the adjustable back rest and touring pillion just in case she does want to ride with me, but when I'm solo I just pull the tour-pak and rear pillion off and I am gone. My only problem has been trying to find a small enough radio antenna so I don't have to move the cable back and forth. For now I just use my XM that I have so its not a major concern.

The Corbin is expensive but well worth it. Let me know if you want any more pictures I can send you some with the bike solo and with the tour pak and back rest on. I also have a dealer here in Dallas that can save you major bucks if you do want Corbin.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:57 PM
BigFokker
Tourer

I went with the Badlander at first and then found a Stripper. The BL looked good, but was hard. Not hard and comfy like a Corbin, just hard
The Stripper has less foam than the BL, but it's more comfortable for me so I ditched the BL and use the Stripper all the time now.
First pic is the Badlander, second is the Stripper.

Attached Thumbnails Going solo with the Ultra...what are you using for a seat?-dsc03537b-centered.jpg   Going solo with the Ultra...what are you using for a seat?-hd-stripper-seat-1.jpg  
Old 04-20-2009, 09:02 PM
raines96+
Intermediate

Jersey the detach kit you bought should have come with a new license mounting bracket that will attach the license to your rear fender, at least mine did. If you didn't get that I would be checking with your stealer to see where it is. With the new one you don't have to worry about it hitting at all.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:22 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have an Ultra, but I do have a detachable tour pack and a Corbin classic solo with backrest. I rode a badlander for quite a while, but the Corbin is WAAAAAY more comfortable.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:30 PM
AUSTEX RKC
Advanced

I installed a Danny Gray Big Solo a few months back. It looks great and rides really good. Foam is firmer then the stock but feels much better on the long rides. It is harder to install and take off the pillon than I had hoped. But it only takes a few minutes. No big deal.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want comfort, then Mustang Solo. Needs only 100+/- miles and then gets better every ride.

Just don't buy a Saddlemen .

Click here to see why: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/287390-saddlemen-seats.html

Go for a Mustang Solo. The quality is great and the comfy rating is a 10+

Old 04-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride solo with the Corbin Classic Solo with their backrest. Great set up for me. I've had Corbins for years and they are great for long hauls too !! Quality made "leather" seat, not vinyl.

Quick Reply: Going solo with the Ultra...what are you using for a seat?