Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TECH CYCLE TORNADO 1.4KW STARTER??? Anyone using this on their 103CI

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 01:58 PM
paco ritter
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default TECH CYCLE TORNADO 1.4KW STARTER??? Anyone using this on their 103CI

Still trying to find the answer to the hard starting 103/SE255 upgrade. (other than the obvious compression releases) I am looking into the Tech Cycle Tornado 1.4KW starter that is the same physical dimensions as the stock HD starter. Comes with a heavier starter clutch, so they claim. Also considering going for the Sumax Extreme Duty battery cables. Got a brand new stock HD battery, have read they are pretty decent batteries. (for a $165, they should be VERY decent batteries).

My stock starter doesn't stall and it turns the engine over sometimes one time and it fires right up. (tried the "start before the light goes out", works sometimes, doesn't sometimes)Sometimes the engine turns over 3-4 times and doesn't start and you can continually hear the starter grind like it's not fully engaged or lined up when it hits a certian spot. What really pisses me off is all the grinding and banging the starter clutch is doing jumping in and out of the starter ring. When the engine comes up on compression, the weak assed starter clutch thinks the engine starts, so it kicks out of the starter ring. The engine hasn't started, so I'm still on the starter button....the clutch tries to re-engage the starter. CRASH>>>GRIND>>>BANG, all kinds of awful noises. This scenario is over and over until the engine starts. Sounds like HELL.

It doesn't do this every time, but I'm tired of it, I don't want it to do it at all. Starter was checked by HD shop, new starter clutch installed, every thing timed, fuel system checked, etc, etc. (using a PCIII) Works OK some times, but often it does not work. CRASH BANG GRIND. I don't want to hear it anymore.

Any comments about my ideas are appreciated, I'm shooting in the dark...PACO

Old 05-07-2009, 02:34 PM
molsen
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, it still will not cure your problem. It may help a little, but not much. Seeing you are using the PC3, I was under the impression that you can retard the timing on start up and that will help. I ride with a guy that has a 95ci high compression that used the PC3 to retard on startup and does not have compression releases. No issues that I am aware of to date.

It's your money and time, but my advice is to explore the PC3 option, sorry I am not well versed in PC3, since Ihave SERT, but I know it can be done.