Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage vs. Road King - Who's switched & why?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 01:56 AM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Heritage vs. Road King - Who's switched & why?

Well, my brother's the guy in an earlier post who hit the deer going 60mph on his '02 Heritage. He's fine by the way... just a little sore still. Just got word that insurance is going to total the bike & give him a check. I used to own a '98 Heritage a few years back, but have since moved up and bought a new FLHRCI in May of last year. My brother really liked his Heritage and is condsidering getting another one. He had just bought the one he hit the deer on last October and it was his first Harley. We've talked alot and I've told him the reasons why I am glad that I moved up to a Road King, but thought I would post the question to folks who have done the same. Prices between the models being so close, now's the time to make sure you've tested all that's out there before making a purchase. He's 6'1" 210 with a wife that also loves to ride that's 5'10" around 160 lbs. They enjoy long road trips also.

So my question goes out to any of you out there that have moved from a Heritage to a Road King or Road King Classic. Why are you glad - or not glad you did it? What are some of the biggest advantages or disadvantages in your opinions?

It'll really help my Bro in his decision making process...

Thx for any and all feedback.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:46 AM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: Heritage vs. Road King - Who's switched & why?

Never owned a Heritage although if I could afford a second bike I would have one.

I rode one recently a few miles and was quite impressed with its smoothness and handling, and it rode nice too. BUT, when I took it out on the interstate and ran it up to 75 mph, it got real buzzy and the wind was very noisy. Bear in mind I ride an Ultra. My take on the Heritage is that it is a great day tripper, but if you want to travel 500 miles days, day after day, you won't be happy with it.

Old 05-10-2006, 03:26 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I do not own either one but do not dismiss the Heritage as a long distance ride. I have ridden many 500 mile days on a Softail Custom accompanied by my son on his Softail Deluxe with no discomfort or problems. I have talked to many Heritage riders at Sturgis who rode long distances and loved every minute of it.

Having said all that, I must tell you that I am thinking seriously about getting a Road King Classic shortly. I just did not want your brother to think he would have any limitations with the Heritage. He should get what he wants or he will not be happy. Do not feel obligated to influence him.

Old 05-10-2006, 07:43 AM
ricoman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Started with a Softtail Classic and switched to a Road king Classic. Have to agree with Goodbirds, the Heritage is not as nice on the body on longer rides. My wife (constant passenger) is much happier with the RKC ride.
Suggest to your brother that he rent a Road King and take a nice long day trip. He will make a good decision.

Old 05-10-2006, 09:48 AM
lonerider560
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now the flip side of the coin, I have a heritage and have done many long distance rides. PA to NC and back, PA to Sturgis and back twice, PA to the grand canyon and back. I average 800 to 900 miles a day on trips like that and,have not one complaint about the heritage. just my opinion.

Old 05-10-2006, 12:49 PM
dforeid
Road Captain

I appreciate your posts. One thing I would add is that I am encouraging him to go to his dealer and RIDE as many scoots as he can to get a good feel for what's out there. All bikes have their pros and cons and it all depends on what you want out of them. Still appreciate as moany posts as possible.

Thanks folks....

Old 05-10-2006, 01:01 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why do you want him to get a Road King? He should get what he likes, unless you are buying.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:54 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

I went from a Heritage to a Road King to an EG Classic. The Roadking is a better two up touring bike than the Heritage, and the EG Classic is better than the Roadking.

Wife has a Heritage now, and when I broke a belt on the Roadking we had to ride the Heritage two up for about 400 miles. In my opinion the Heritage is not a two up touring bike.

The wife rode my Classic the other day, and now she is leaning toward one and getting rid of the Heritage.

Just an observation from being able to ride all of them for long distances both solo and two up.

Regards,

Bill

Old 05-10-2006, 04:34 PM
dforeid
Road Captain

Manish_Hawg: Didn't say I wanted him to get a Road King. He and I were talking about why I switched and the pros and cons. I've shared with him my reasons and offerred that he should ride as many bikes as he can and talk to folks about their experiences so he can make the best decision for his situation. I offerred to toss it out here and get additional feedback for him to consider - that's all.

Old 05-10-2006, 05:02 PM
PEZ
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 97 Heritage--my 1st HD. I was financially "challenged" at the time, and would allow myself to do one big thing a year. After snooping--by the time I got the heritage the way I wanted it, I would have a 7 year old Road King Classic! So I traded up in 01

I hated the seat that came with the Heritage--and the FLHRCI wasnt much better--so a Mustang basic touring seat went on. Was perfect for my 6'3" 240lb frame. I found the Kings gearing a WHOLE lot better for the highway, and overall found the bike better handling. Im a sucker for white walls and spokes as well. At the time, the heritage WS was fixed, and when I got my King--it was a detach. I also really liked the pipes out each side.

When I bought the King--I was going to do 2 tone, but decided to go with black, and use the $1000Cdn I saved to get Stage 1 done. Black is the coolest colour for an RKC IMHO, and Stage 1, with Wild Pigs, and a DFO made the bike go great--as good as my buds with PC's and big bores in their full deckers. Made it go great on the cheap--all from things I learned off these forums!

My 2 cents--PEZ

Quick Reply: Heritage vs. Road King - Who's switched & why?