Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CVO mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 03:15 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by sonar_chris
The CVO mufflers are different than the SE mufflers. The CVO ones have a catalytic converter in them and a different baffle in them. They are slightly louder than stock but I would say that SE mufflers are a little louder. You can get after market baffles from Fulsac for them.
I would expect the CVO mufflers to be more restrictive than the SE's since CVO bikes have SE255 cams which are inherently louder. Thus to meet noise-pollution regs this means more sound attenuation and more flow restriction, but this is strictly speculation on my part.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:20 PM
scotty3
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by odie-in-az
Thanks for that info.
Do all the 2009 Touring line have the CAT in the crossover?
Only the CVO Models (All), HDI Model (Australia, UK etc) and California Models

In Australia and the UK we also get a double whammy with an exhaust flapper valve that closes of the right side muffler and forces the exhaust out through the left side at certain speeds and rpm's

I'm in Australia so I got a 49 state US header and it has no CAT and got some 2009 CVO mufflers of a RG from a guy in the USA.

Works great and can hear the music and no exhaust valve!

Old 05-23-2009, 05:12 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by scotty3
Only the C
In Australia and the UK we also get a double whammy with an exhaust flapper valve that closes of the right side muffler and forces the exhaust out through the left side at certain speeds and rpm's
I assume these flapper thingies address some noise issue, right? I'll bet they do wonders for performance.

OT and out of curiosity: How popular are Harleys in Australia? How do authorities handle exhaust changes like louder mufflers that we like so much in the U.S.?

Last edited by iclick; 05-23-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:23 PM
odie-in-az
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to HD and asked about the CVO and I ended up buying a brand new pair of 09 Road Glide Stock Mufflers that were taken off a bike that was sold and the buyer, I guess, upgraded to SE. I got the stocks for $80. I installed them and couldn't be happier. They sound great and I have no more pinging like I had with my Rush. I assume that since aftermarket mufflers have more flow it creates pinging. The reason I say this is because everyone I know with a 09 touring bike that put aftermarket mufflers on them, regardless of brand, got pinging. I assume that with the more restricted flow in the stock mufflers you gain more back pressure eliminating the ping. It's just a guess but I'm happy that I have no more pinging. To each monkey their own tree. I'm one happy monkey.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:44 AM
Lowridin packer
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtdobber
There are 2 types of end caps and possibly more.
type 1) 3 screws on the outside of the end caps
type 2) 4 screws on the inside of the end caps.

The newer 4 inch cans has the 4 screws in the end caps.
I bought the SE 64895-07A's thinking my older SE muffler end caps would work on them but they do not. The older SE mufflers has the 3 screws on the out side of the end caps as where the newer SE 64895-07 a has the 4 screws on the inside.
I have to agree - the CVO mufflers have the 3 screw kind. The new endcaps for the SE slipons have the 4 screws on the inside. Does this mean I can buy the old style endcaps and they will fit?

Last edited by Lowridin packer; 05-24-2009 at 01:47 AM.