Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old fart considering 1st HD

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 01:55 AM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well.......I've been riding over 40 years......owned 14 motorcycles.....all Jap until 2 years ago when I bought 2 new Harleys.

I won't say I regret buying the Harleys, but I truely miss the reliability and dealer support I had with the Jap bikes.

I'm having a really big problem this last two years trying to accept how most HD dealers treat their customers when it comes to warranty issues and super inflated service charges where the actual service isn't performed but they demand you pay for it anyway....That's really souring the 'Harley' experience for me.....I've just about had enuff and I'm at the point I'm considering buying a Wing as my retirement bike.

Yeah, it's nice when folks wanna look at my Harleys and chat me up, but that only goes so far. I'm quickly discovering I don't need public recognition as a 'Hog owner'. I prefer reliability, safety, and solid dealer support more than ogles from wannabes.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:03 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Funny that Harleys are so unreliable yet you still see daily riders on Panheads and even a Few on Knucks ... Take your Rice elsewhere...

Old 07-10-2009, 02:10 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I would do it in a second. Most of my firends that ride, ride Harley's. I do know 3 or 4 guys that ride BMW's. I don't know anyone who has gone from one to the other. I know lots of former metric riders that have happily switched to Harley. I guess what I'm trying to say is that BMW is a great bike, and it's owners are passionate about them. If you are happy with your BMW, do you really think you will be happy on a Harley? I know I would never by happy on a BMW, even though I can appreciate them.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:24 AM
performanceisthekey
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carpetride
If the Harley won't work for ya maybe this will,
Oh yeah, the new 2010 Harley GZR Mobile, nice

Old 07-10-2009, 02:24 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

As far as that Harley "mystique" that you don't want any part of... I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean the intangible connection Harley owners have toward their rides, why would you not want that?

Old 07-10-2009, 11:38 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get what you want, doesn't matter to me!

Old 07-10-2009, 12:00 PM
trippy57
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too, am a long time metric rider switched over to HD. Last Metric was a VTX 1300 R. I put alot of green into it to make it more comfortable and to sound and run better. Got the HD FLTR, Road Glide, 2008 anniversary edition and ain't looked back. Power delivery on the HD is, for lack of a better descriptive phrase, more linear than the 1300. My VTX would snap your neck from a dead start, but topped out at around 100. After that, it took some time to get more MPH outta it. The RG, on the other hand is: 1. More comfortable. 2. Handles WAYY better than the Honda. 3. Very seldom get outta 5th gear unless on the super slab. The amenities on the RG are without question superb! Cruise control is the bomb, and the stereo don't hurt none either. To date I have added Kury offset highway pegs, board extensions from Harley goodies, (a must have in my opinion), sundowner seat, detachable passenger backrest and luggage rack, and a drivers adjustable backrest. I haven't regretted my decision yet. Bike looks good (no cracks about the 105th color scheme, lol), runs great, and makes me very, very, happy. You gotta do what works for you. For me, I'm lovin' my HD!!!!!

Old 07-10-2009, 02:13 PM
johnnyQ
Advanced

As stated the EVO is considered a reliable platform and with a few bolt on mods should get you the power you're used to.

The brakes though need upgrading if they are stock.

Move over to the EVO forum for more info and/or the HTT EVO forum.

btw I have RA in my knees and it's not much of an issue (unlike my elbows/forearms), maybe the gentle massaging the knees get from vibration help out :>

John

Last edited by johnnyQ; 07-10-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:21 PM
doorsidedown
Road Captain

i say go for it. You'll love that bike.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:55 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

Bob....Just how OLD is an OLD FART????

Quick Reply: Old fart considering 1st HD