Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burning oil (?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 03:26 PM
albertasaurus
Road Master
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon65
Well I gotta give credit to the dealership that I frequent. I stopped in today and told them about the oil issue.

They asked me the obligatory questions first - do you know how to check your oil, etc....

The service guy agreed that this isn't right. Asked me to take weekly readings, document it for 6 weeks, and then come back.

Now I know he didn't say anything about it getting fixed, but I didn't get any statements about this being normal.
Lemme guess... 6 weeks left on the warranty? :-)

I don't check every ride, but usually once a week, and have never noticed any appreciable drop in oil level on the dipstick.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Gordon65
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by albertasaurus
Lemme guess... 6 weeks left on the warranty? :-)

I don't check every ride, but usually once a week, and have never noticed any appreciable drop in oil level on the dipstick.

LOL....no i still got 18 months left on the warranty. I will make sure this gets fixed before that time is up...

Old 05-16-2010, 11:38 AM
Airborne06
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon65
LOL....no i still got 18 months left on the warranty. I will make sure this gets fixed before that time is up...
I hate to revive an older thread (especially about oil), but I'm having an oil issue with my 2009 Ultra Classic. About 3 thousand miles ago (I currently have 8K on the odometer), my oil pressure gauge needle would swing wildly when I accelerated and rolled off the throttle. No idiot light however. I checked the oil level, and hardly any was showing on the dipstick. I added about 3 quarts of oil (synthetic), and attributed the low level to a brain-dead tech at the Harley dealership. I had my oil changed there several thousand miles earlier. Fast-forward to yesterday....same issue. Checked oil, and none on the dipstick. Added 3 more quarts and took it to the dealership. Now, they are having me do the 500 mile oil consumption drill. They changed the oil, and will monitor its level every 500 miles. According to the tech, Harley says consumption of up to 1 quart every 1000 miles is "normal". Are you kidding me? Adding a quart every 1000 miles is perfectly normal? Anyhow, there is no leakage onto my garage floor, the underside of the bike is clean, and I never noticed any smoke coming from the exhaust. The plugs looked clean also. I'm baffled, but then again, I'm not a mechanic. The tech also said that since I use synthetic, I likely would not see smoke, even if the bike is burning oil. So...I'm pretty pissed off and bummed, and preparing myself for the Harley stonewall and/or denial that there is an issue. I've owned this bike since new, so no mysterious history...but this sure takes the fun out of owning a $25K Harley. Thanks for the opportunity to "vent"!

Old 05-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Airborne06
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My bike has used just about a half-quart of oil at the 500 mile point after the dealer oil change. This is with no visible leakage or exhaust smoke. Things aren't looking good.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:20 PM
grumpy old biker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your oil cold-half way up stick-good to go. Checking your oil hot like HD says will drive you to drink or drink even more. Unless you can idle the bike for a minute or so and aways check at the same temp, your going to get all kinds of different readings. Plus don't trust those LED dip sticks as far as you can throw them when the oils hot. Cold they are real close to original stick reading, but can be way off hot.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:35 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,772 Likes on 21,471 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Hawg
The stealer's can never duplicate the problem!! If your burning a qt per 1000mi you got issues. I have 43k on my 07 RG and I burn maybe a 1/4 of a qt. in 2500 mi sometimes more on a long trip with long days. I use amsoil 20/50 syn and change it every 8500-9000 mi. For those of you who are thinking 8500 miles between changes this guy is nuts. I had the oil tested last change and there were no signs of wear metals in the oil the oil tested outstanding. I am going to do a test at the next oil change and I will post the results.
Cool!! I changed my oil @100, 500 and 1000 miles on my 09 SG when I first bought it, to try and get the fine filings out, (they're there, saw it in my 1st oil change, very fine but there) and went another 1000 on it on the dino oil, and then right @2k switched over to amsoil, which seems to make the top end a little more noisy...but it did seem like it helped to cool it down 10 degrees or so.

I broke it in as mototuneusa http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htmsays to as well, the 30-60 in 3rd gear 10 times in a row too to help seal the rings.

Last edited by lionsm13; 09-19-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:30 PM
Banjo Bo
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

10,000 miles on my 09 and never added a drop.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:12 PM
upstate tim
Road Captain

Those damn LED dipsticks I keep hearing about...

I want to trade for my LCD model...

Old 09-19-2010, 07:46 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think oil use often comes down to break-in approach. Those rings need to be properly seated.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:11 PM
redhwk44
Road Master

I think you may have hit the nail on the head for some of the oil consumption issues. I used http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm ( like Lion said)on my 06 RKC and on my 10 Ultra. I use no oil between changes, not sure if it is because of this break in method or not. I did not beat it but I ran it thru the gears on the way home ( 20 miles ) and then changed the oil.

Quick Reply: Burning oil (?)