Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Chrome Rings around Guages

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 09:28 PM
tringle
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Removing Chrome Rings around Guages

Several months ago I added the chrome rings around all the guages, radio and speakers. My buddy now has me talked into having my inner fairing painted so I'm going to have to remove them. The rings for the guages were put on with silicone and the rings for the radio and speakers were attached by the two-sided tape. Will the chrome rings come off the guages without damaging them? Also when I pull the rings of the speaker covers, will it damage the covers? With my luck, I'll probably have to buy another set of chrome rings. The good news is it will only cost me around $75.00 to have the inner fairing painted!

Thanks in advance...
TR

Old 08-07-2009, 09:44 PM
bvette94
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You dont have to remove the trim rings they stay fastened to the guages. the speaker trim will stay fastened to the speaker grills. the radio trim try fishing line to remove it.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Scooter68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have all the chrome rings around all the intruments as well and I pulled them off over the winter to paint the inner fairing also. THe sticky stuff held up just fine, I put them back on and they are still on never had to buy new ones or replace the double sided tape.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:04 AM
Heathen
Tourer

I got my radio and gauges out without removing the trim.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:28 AM
ultraherbie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tringle
Several months ago I added the chrome rings around all the guages, radio and speakers. My buddy now has me talked into having my inner fairing painted so I'm going to have to remove them. The rings for the guages were put on with silicone and the rings for the radio and speakers were attached by the two-sided tape. Will the chrome rings come off the guages without damaging them? Also when I pull the rings of the speaker covers, will it damage the covers? With my luck, I'll probably have to buy another set of chrome rings. The good news is it will only cost me around $75.00 to have the inner fairing painted!

Thanks in advance...
TR
Did you remove the faring yourself?

Old 08-08-2009, 07:29 AM
tringle
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys! I sure didn't want to buy another set.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:15 AM
SecondChance!!
Road Master

I just painted my inner and did not have to remove any of the accent rings for they came off with the gauges. The 2 sided tape on the radio and ign. cover can come off if you take your time with a hair dryer and not get too close if your inner is painted already. That or you can leave it out facing the sun for a few hours mid day and it will do the same thing just takes longer. Now it would only take about 10 minutes!!!!!!