Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The EVO is just a better motor!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 05:54 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The EVO is just a better motor!!

I wish I could buy a 2010 with the EVO on it, that would get me to trade in my Electra Glide in a second. I was out on my Fatboy today for a while, what a perfect power plant that thing has. No heat, no hesitation, perfect running, plenty of power, what more could you possibly want. Add to that the fact that they run forever and you've got the perfect bike. They keep cranking up the motor size and for what, you'll still get whipped every time by some kid on a $500 Kawasaki!!!

Old 08-11-2009, 06:54 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member

To take up for Harley a little bit, The Evo's didn't have as strict of EPA regulations then. But I think the Evo was the best motor ever built by harley. I had two with a total of 175,000 miles on them and no problems. I've had my 08 FLHT for 15 months with 35,000 miles and allready had to replace the lifters and the primary shaft bearing.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:24 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master

I've got 12k on my 08 I wish I had the oppertunity to have 35k already!! I'm jealous

Old 08-11-2009, 07:49 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts
Thumbs up Damn right!!!

Originally Posted by brunswickoh
I wish I could buy a 2010 with the EVO on it, that would get me to trade in my Electra Glide in a second. I was out on my Fatboy today for a while, what a perfect power plant that thing has. No heat, no hesitation, perfect running, plenty of power, what more could you possibly want. Add to that the fact that they run forever and you've got the perfect bike. They keep cranking up the motor size and for what, you'll still get whipped every time by some kid on a $500 Kawasaki!!!
Man, ya got THAT right!!

I was thinking that exact same thing just today while I was riding my sweet little bone factory stock carbureted '94 FXDS. No heat issues, easy to work on, stone solid dependable and durable, single camshaft driven by two little gears, silky-smooth at any speed and 60+ MPG at 70 MPH or below. Simple and reliable transistor ignition, awesome tire mileage, smooth-shifting 5 speed rock-solid tranny (and about a million additional positive things). Just start it up and go with never a problem. Handles like it weighs about 100 pounds.

I bought a new '03 RK which was a total POS from the get-go. Always something wrong with it. Never trusted it and finally got rid of it 6 months later. Bought the '94 and have ridden it without the slightest issue ever since. Will never ever own another twin-cam!

Oh yeah, I DID install the updated inner cam bearing on my '94 as a preventative measure a couple of years ago. Cost about $35 for bearing, gaskets etc. & did it myself in about 5 hours, taking my time. Everything inside the engine looked brand new when I had it apart.

PS: Brace yourself for a bunch of incredibly defensive replies, and if ya ever completely lose yer mind and wanna sell that Fat Boy, PM me & I'll bring ya the cash & ride it home!! I'm totally serious!

Last edited by jpooch00; 08-11-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:23 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

WEell then sell your twin cam and get another EVO WTF???????

Old 08-11-2009, 08:26 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I loved all my EVO's, but my Twin Cam has served me well. I'll easily get 100K before I crack her open....

Old 08-11-2009, 08:55 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,026 Posts

I had three EVO baggers. They are d@mn FINE engines.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:04 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master

Originally Posted by leohd
WEell then sell your twin cam and get another EVO WTF???????
I like the look and electronics of the newer touring bikes just not the motor! Actually it's not that I don't like the twin cam it's just that the EVO is a far better motor.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:38 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love my 2 EVOs! Have never ridden a twin cam (probably like it too much LoL) but no plans to ever get rid of those beautiful, EZ to work on, parts plentiful, carbed, well engineered and built EVO donks....

Ah heck they are all good, just some better than others....

Regards,
V2Evo96

Old 08-11-2009, 09:45 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I like the look and electronics of the newer touring bikes just not the motor! Actually it's not that I don't like the twin cam it's just that the EVO is a far better motor.
hey I liked my old evos also, twin cam might be a lil more oil tight thats about it' guess ya can always stick a evo in the bagger of yours

Quick Reply: The EVO is just a better motor!!