Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still Waiting

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 12:11 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Still Waiting

ORIGINAL: bountyhunter

ANY insured bike with a frame bent in a collision should clearly be written off as salvage. I would raise hell and settle for nothing less than a new bike! Stay clear of that dealer, do you really want them putting your bike back together?
holy schit for once i agree with the bounty guy!!

Old 06-04-2006, 12:36 AM
Topper
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What bounty said also! Who was at fault in the accident? If the other driver was, I'd hire a decent lawyer and sue for diminished value. You will never see market value for the bike after 14K in damage repair being done. Trust me on this, just went through the same thing with a 48K truck. In NC, a disclosure statement must be signed when selling a used vehicle.........Any vehicle invloved in a collision that exceeds 25% of market value, by law has to be disclosed on a damage disclosure statement (reputable dealers will not touch these on trade nor will most educated buyers). Hell with the diminished value though, if the other party was at fault, hire a lawyer and push for a total loss. Good luck.

Old 06-04-2006, 04:52 AM
mario
Intermediate

Just went through some of the same sh#t, I was rear ended by another biker, Progressive told me to take it to a stealer, so I took it to my local stealer, they gave me an estimate for the fee of $150.00, come to learn that Progressive and all other insurance co. do their own motorcycle appraisals. The stealer or Progressive would not give back my $150.00. Sick of the BS, I decided to go with my insurance, Am. Family. been with them 20yrs, and they have always taken good care of me. Now Progressive is stuck paying my deductible, the incorporated appraisal, towing, etc, etc.....damage was more then $3000 including labor. Insurance co. always plan to pay un-foreseen additional cost/supplemental cost after the bike is complete. I will not have a dealer touch my bike, unless for warranty work. Now I'm waiting on my T-REX true duals to arrive un-damaged, by UPS. I should be back on the road with the bike at 110% by next weekend.
I say fight for a new bike, find more damage and take the cost over 14,500.

A good piece of advice, if possible and legal in your state record all conversations with insurance company, they do. If they say something wrong they won't admit it or give you their tape. I know, I learn the hard way. I broke even, I guess I can't complain too much. Good luck

Old 06-04-2006, 10:18 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

There is no way I would accept a bike that had to be a frame up rebuild after some dipwad hit me. I would be at their Ins company jumping up and down on their desk, I wouldn't settle with them until they agreed to total the bike heck I would see a lawyer. I know if I was buying a bike and found out it had a frame up rebuild I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole unless I could buy it for 50 cents on a dollar.

Old 06-04-2006, 11:01 AM
rollover
Road Captain

In this case we are talking brand new frame. I would buy that bike before I bought one that had the frame straightened/fixed. The bike should have been totaled but I think his bike should be fine seeing as it is being rebuilt with all new Harley parts right down to the frame. Only part that sucks is the resale will take a beating. Only thing to do there is ride the hell out of this one and never sell it. I've always had State Farm and probably always will. When I rolled(hence the nick) one of my cars they handled everything first class. I have not one complaint. I've dealt with Progressive once and hope to never have to again. They suck but that's just my opinion. Enjoy that bike when you get it back and be safe.

Old 06-04-2006, 06:55 PM
GeezerGlider
Cruiser

As mentioned, the frame will be brand new. The bike shouldn't ride any worse once everything is transferred over to the new frame. Still, a lot of good thoughts from you folks. I'm going to push for a few hundred more dollars worth of damage and get it over the totalled threshold. If I'm unsuccessful, I will still get the bike I originally fell in love with, so how bad could that be? I never had any thoughts of selling it anyway so resale value or lack of doesn't phase me. I just want to start racking up some miles!!

Thanks for taking the time to give me your thoughts.

God Bless America and our troops who protect her.

GG

Old 06-04-2006, 08:56 PM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts

ORIGINAL: GeezerGlider

Been awhile since I posted. The accident was on April 7th. Almost two months and $10K later, all the parts are in and the stealer tells me he's going to slap baby back together. Then I get "the call". The frame is tweaked. No SH_T the frame is tweaked - I got hit amidships by a friggin minivan goin' 40 mph. First damn question I asked two months ago, "Is the frame bent?". I was told it wasn't, assured he had reliable methods of determination. But, he didn't start tearing it down until all the parts came in, and that's when he said he discovered the bent frame. I'm pretty pissed - seems like if he had torn it down to begin with, he could have more accurately determined the extent of the damage.

Now I have a new frame on order, to the tune of another $3K (does that sound like the right price?), and however many more weeks of waiting...waiting...waiting...while the riding season chugs along. At between $13K and $14K worth of damage, the insurance company won't total the bike; not until it gets to 70% of the value, or about $14,500.

Anyway, I hope to be riding within the next month or two. I hope the riding season is treating you folks well. It must be - I see you all out there every day while I drive my friggin cage.....

Shiny side up.

GG
Ask the insurance adjuster to meet with you at the dealer. Then discuss your displeasure standing in front of the pile of parts that used to be your Harley.

Old 06-06-2006, 04:57 PM
RoadViking
Cruiser

Check with your DMV. Does a new frame mean a salvage title? Seems like a total loss.