Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone changed to mid-controls?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 06:29 AM
Homeward Bound
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scott Hall
but there was never a twin cam FXR ...
I'm still on an Evo, so no problem there (... and shame they never CVO-ed a TC FXR).
Originally Posted by mainboom150
ummm and your wanting to do this on a bagger? why ?
For me, I live in a country with a lot of small twisty roads and I'd like to be able to share my bike with my old man who is a serious short ***.

I like to be able to carry a lot of sh*t with me and leave it securely on the bike but I also like fast touring.

Why would you want to put all your weight on your tail bone and hang on like a sail when nature designed a perfect good pair of shock absorbers in your legs?

At 5'10"/11" and with long legs, I'd still say I was shorter end of the design scale for the big twins.
Originally Posted by jasnusc
When I am on long rides I notice that my feet slide further and further back until the ***** of my feet are at the back edge of the floorboards. I've read several times in several places that having your feet under you gives you better control, is better for your back and makes you less tired ..
Check ... check ... check ... and check.

Those Germans know something about fast and highly efficient touring on twisty roads. If only they didn't tune their engines for unlimited autobhan speeds ...
Originally Posted by foxtrapper
I'm short legged myself. Few things I've seen or kicked around.

Brake lever

Harley has a shorter brake lever for these bikes.

Shift lever

Having no heel lever of course helps let me slide my feet back. Have not found a shorter shifter. Figure I'll have to modify one

Little hard to do on the Harley with the passenger boards being so high and rearward.
Thanks, useful hint for the brake pedal. It would not be hard to have a shifter pedal cut and welded, or machined up perhaps using a replacement billet one as a blank.

I've swopped the rear footplates for rear pegs. They have the advantages of tucking away closer to the bike and being able to use like they were sports bike rear sets. Comfortable enough and give the right sort of lean in against the wind for high speed touring.

These are a bit too far back but interesting for reference. From Selected Custom Bikes. Really, I'd guess Japan is the place to look for the answer to all this ... lots of shorter people who like to still like to ride Big Twins. They must have solved the problem.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:13 PM
Westbound1
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just joined the forum. Have rented a SG in 2006, a Fat Boy, and a Ultra on 3 separate occasions also a Gold Wing. Looking at a Super Glide or Ultra but really want my feet under me. Also a Currently riding a KTM 640 Enduro and like the neutral riding position.

Anybody figured out how to move the controls back on a newer SG or Ultra ? Maybe these folks ?

http://www.satoracing.com/rearsetshdXR1200.htm

Old 03-20-2017, 01:53 PM
kwkride
Cruiser

Received 80 Likes on 40 Posts

Reviving an old thread, but it looks like you can finally buy mid controls for your bagger.

https://bigbearchoppers.com/product/...ol-set-bagger/

Last edited by kwkride; 03-20-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:57 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,404 Likes on 2,635 Posts

Originally Posted by kwkride
Reviving an old thread, but it looks like you can finally buy mid controls for you r bagger.

If you are inclined to such self abuse, yes.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:57 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,313 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by kwkride
Reviving an old thread, but it looks like you can finally buy mid controls for your bagger.

Look to be well made. Thanks for the find and the link!

Old 08-07-2018, 09:01 AM
Haarley
Road Master
Received 387 Likes on 196 Posts

Does anyone besides Big Bear make mid controls?

At $1,000, they're steep.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:31 AM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts

I just kept my mid-pegs, but moved the controls to forwards, this gives me the extra position to put my feet on for longer rides, along with highway pegs on my crash bar. I have wondered if there is any way to allow both mids and forwards to have "controls" that work, but haven't tried to see about making that happen. Suspect I'd have to make some sort of Y-like adapter for the brake side going into the rear master cylinder, and figure out how to have shifter arms on both sides from the back of the primary to both mid-arm (on the inside) and forward-arm (on the outside) so they'll both work. I'm just not a great fabricator to try to make that happen.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:20 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,664 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Don't know why I even mention this as I like my bikes standing apart from all the others but with Cyclesmiths Banana Boards, extended rear brake lever and removal of heel shifter there is more movement and versatility than should be allowed on a bike. Add an awesome seat along with apes and I am on a rolling recliner. Life is good!!!

Old 08-07-2018, 04:06 PM
Haarley
Road Master
Received 387 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
Don't know why I even mention this as I like my bikes standing apart from all the others but with Cyclesmiths Banana Boards, extended rear brake lever and removal of heel shifter there is more movement and versatility than should be allowed on a bike. Add an awesome seat along with apes and I am on a rolling recliner. Life is good!!!
Tell me about the extended rear brake lever. In which direction is it extended?

Last edited by Haarley; 08-07-2018 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:20 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,664 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Originally Posted by Haarley
Tell me about the extended rear brake lever. In which direction is it extended?
Kury extended 2 or 2.5". I have more room to move my feet around than anyone would ever imagine. If it were not for the scars that the highway pegs would leave behind I would remove them.

Quick Reply: Anyone changed to mid-controls?