Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone changed to mid-controls?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 04:35 PM
Haarley
Road Master
Received 387 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
Kury extended 2 or 2.5". I have more room to move my feet around than anyone would ever imagine. If it were not for the scars that the highway pegs would leave behind I would remove them.
Extended which way, toward the front wheel or back?

I want to bring the rear brake rearward.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:16 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,664 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Originally Posted by Haarley
Extended which way, toward the front wheel or back?

I want to bring the rear brake rearward.

Of course towards the front, that is why they are extended. If you want it shorter you would have to look for one or cut and weld the one you have.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:13 PM
klammer76
Road Master
Received 271 Likes on 182 Posts

Don't know why I even mention this as I like my bikes standing apart from all the others but with Cyclesmiths Banana Boards, extended rear brake lever and removal of heel shifter there is more movement and versatility than should be allowed on a bike. Add an awesome seat along with apes and I am on a rolling recliner. Life is good!!!
I have been interested in banana boards for quite a while. What size boards do you have (original or XL)? Do you notice any increase in vibration in your feet vs the stock rubber cushioned boards? I have an 2002, do you have them on your 2001, pictures?

Thanks for any info.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:16 PM
DAVENRINO
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I am not giving up my footboards in this lifetime. This is one of the things I can't tolerate with other brands such as the BMWs and Wingers. I do have the 1" footboard extensions on both bikes plus 2"+ extended shiftlevers dropped low on both ends. Also extended/dropped brake levers on both bikes.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:52 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,664 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Originally Posted by klammer76
I have been interested in banana boards for quite a while. What size boards do you have (original or XL)? Do you notice any increase in vibration in your feet vs the stock rubber cushioned boards? I have an 2002, do you have them on your 2001, pictures?

Thanks for any info.

I have XL on both bikes but away from home until Friday so can't send pics until then. They dampen very well and couldn't be happier. I took an RGU for a ride not long ago and felt like a rat in a cage, not having the room I am used to.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:20 AM
Haarley
Road Master

Of course towards the front, that is why they are extended. If you want it shorter you would have to look for one or cut and weld the one you have.
This thread is about extending controls rearward, not forward.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:56 AM
klammer76
Road Master
Received 271 Likes on 182 Posts

I have XL on both bikes but away from home until Friday so can't send pics until then. They dampen very well and couldn't be happier. I took an RGU for a ride not long ago and felt like a rat in a cage, not having the room I am used to.
Thanks, that is what I was looking for. I need to pull the trigger. They have always appeared to be a very good alternative. I miss my former shovel and FXR with forward pegs (different ride than pegs mounted to the crash bar). Look forward to a pic if you think about it when you get a chance.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:12 AM
Puglia10
Road Warrior
Received 480 Likes on 231 Posts

I know this thread is old but its still going so what the heck.
BBC as mentioned makes a kit, but I think they either run reverse shift patter (one up, 5 down) or have two opposing shift linkages which looks terrible.
Others have started making them because performance baggers are really starting to take off. Their names escape me but some googling should give you a few options.
Too much money for me, but I wish mine had mids too.

The following users liked this post:
Haarley (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 09:43 AM
Haarley
Road Master

Originally Posted by Puglia10
I know this thread is old but its still going so what the heck.
BBC as mentioned makes a kit, but I think they either run reverse shift patter (one up, 5 down) or have two opposing shift linkages which looks terrible.
Others have started making them because performance baggers are really starting to take off. Their names escape me but some googling should give you a few options.
Too much money for me, but I wish mine had mids too.
I tried, but my Google-Fu only produced Big Bear.

Mid pegs make a better Riders Trangle.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:37 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by Haarley
This thread is about extending controls rearward, not forward.
Extending something means making it longer, not shorter.

This is what the 9 year old thread is about, from the OP:

Originally Posted by LookMaNoHands
I've found that feet forward position kills me on long rides, and I can't move my feet back far enough on the boards to give my back a rest...
^ this was the reason about asking if anyone had switched to mid controls.

What nobodyknowsme is talking about is the fact that by changing the footboards to the Cyclesmiths Banana Boards (I also have the XL’s), you can ride with your feet extended as far as you can put them since they run right to the crash bar, and due to the board’s length, you can also slide your feet to the back of them and be in a position as if you were riding with mid controls.

They are perfect for long trips because you have so much mobility. As with nobodyknowsme, I also changed my brake lever out for a longer one, and I also put on extended shift levers. Both sides now have a **** ton of space to move my feet around on to find comfort in multiple ways.

Heres my XL’s so you can see how much room they create vs staying with stock short boards or switching to a dedicated mid control setup.

Last edited by Cygnusx51; 08-08-2018 at 11:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone changed to mid-controls?