Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a little advice about Gerbing Heated Gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 05:54 PM
ks-waterbug
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not about an install, but I have some of the portable Gerbing Gear and it works like a champ! No chords to fuse with and enough heat to bake you off the bike...

Old 09-01-2009, 07:18 PM
cfmii11
Road Master

UAL do you have any pictures?

Old 09-01-2009, 07:25 PM
MWM
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cfmii11
To those that have them, do you fiddle with the temp control a lot? If I need to get at it all the time it will definitely make a difference where I mount them.
I adjust mine frequent enough that I want them to be in easy reach. I use a portable, but have 3 or 4 permanent mounts that I plan on putting on each bike, so I'm following this post for recommendations as well.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:28 PM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I use the portable with the wire coming out on the front of the seat between it and the dash. I hook the controller to my left pocket on my personal coat and on my duty belt on the work ride.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:31 PM
MWM
Cruiser

One bit of advice about the Gerbing leather G3...WATERPROOF the leather! It is not waterproof. The liner is waterproof, but after the leather gets soaking wet then your hands get wet! The gloves still warm, but not as effectively. Silk liners are good to use, because the gloves slide on and off if they do get wet. I drive 365 days a year and heated gear makes all the difference in the world. My Ultra Classic and my BMW 1150 have plenty of alternator output to keep you warm without battery drain. But, my daughter's BMW 650 doesn't have enough and she has to alternate which pieces of clothing she keeps on or she'll end up with a dead battery in a heart beat.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:38 PM
SixSixRider
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a RAM ball-mount on my bars and I attach an arm & velcro-covered plate to it and stick the controller right there....facing right at me in a very handy place. I've got 3ft extension wires under the tank to allow me to plug the controller into them up front, yet plug-in the clothes where the tank & seat meet. In the summer, the wires are tucked-in under the seat and the controller is taken off and stored until chilly weather arrives.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:42 PM
motocop
Intermediate
Default gerbings

I have the portable controller and keep it in the breast pocket of the jacket. I find myself adjusting temp frequntly as the day goes on during the long rides...cool morning, warm during day, and cool evenings. I would mount that where you can easily find and adjust it while riding. Also find my hands getting sweaty from the gloves, another reason I frequently adjust on the colder rides. I think the spot on the inner, opposite the cig. lighter, is your best bet as long as there are no clearance issues with the tank when you have the handle bars all the way to the right.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:48 AM
ks-waterbug
Cruiser

I've yet to figure out the total draw on my 08 Ultra but I imagine it should be able to handle the addition of at least one heated garment. Anyone running more than gloves/vest, if so did you have to upgrade your charging system to handle the additional load? Sorry to thread jack...

Old 09-02-2009, 07:10 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,474 Likes on 3,320 Posts

I personally like the portable one with the little leather case that has a clip...I leave it clipped on my pocket and gives easy access.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:41 AM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ride year around too and would like to get some heated gear this winter. Please post pictures of your controller installs.

Quick Reply: Need a little advice about Gerbing Heated Gear