Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S&s 106"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 06:27 AM
gunnert
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...S&S 106" with 570 cams...that is going to be a lot of fun. The head work may be overkill, but you never know what you may want to get to next. HP/Tq are addictive, the more you get the more you want.
Other than experimenting with a few Woods cams, I began going almost exclusively with S&S motor parts about 7 years ago to include intake systems and ECU. I have few complaints. For a shade tree mechanic it's nice to have to make only one call to get help when I need it. The key is the build as a whole or better known here as the "package".
As far as costs go when choosing a package I use the following priority/criteria:
1. Longevity (we tour two up and do a lot of miles)
2. Power (I'm a HP junky who NEVER has enough)
3. Cost with an emphasis on value, e.g. best bang for the buck

Attached Thumbnails S&s 106"?-p5070287.jpg  

Last edited by gunnert; 09-21-2009 at 06:31 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:30 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm doing a 106 right now. There is a reason that I went with this... Everybody raves about a 107, and that is fine, really. But... I did NOT want someone's proprietary piston. All the top shops sell 107s... they bore your cylinders and sell you their kits. Some use GREAT pistons, too.

Ummmm... who is to say that the builder I would pick will be around in 5 years when I need to re-ring my bike? This economy is truly a funny one, and can have odd effects.

S&S will surely be around and sells .010 over pistons if a 'clean-up' is needed.

I'm doing this with ported heads and a 54h cam. Should be nice when done.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 09-21-2009 at 06:35 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:29 PM
ryanl
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
We perfer the 106 S&S over the HQ 107. I do not really wish to hear problems and criticism especially from those with no real hands on experience with both. We did Master Blasters virgin 107 HQ that another shop tuned. You can check out MB own #'s yourself.

While the HQ was OK there is a better options than the California Pistons that has Headquarters puts their logo on as their own. The backwards grind and the sharp rises cam is not the ideal choice for longevity in our opinion. More options and grinds are a better choice for trouble free operation over the years. The lifters are not necessary to change as all of these aforementioned applications work very well with stock HD lifters. The porting and flow job was acceptable but nothing to warrant the pricing HQ's gets. The piston rings can not be installed as is and need to be gaped, so keep that in mind. If you wish the bike for cruising the most radical cam, huge compression ratios and maximum HP is not the bst choice unless bragging rights takes presidency over ridability. For every HP gain there is always negatives and a cost more than the price of the build.

All in all I believe for the $5,500 Hillside equivalent build and the pricing of the headquarters should be 40% lower. While everyone raves about the HQ's the same and better results could be had by others 40% cheaper. This is my own experience and opinion. The object of this post is to make other members with undecided and open minded and who are not swayed by brand names. Do what you like but do your homework.
When I was researching my build, I narrowed it down to a few builders. HQ was one of them. But when I came down to it, I felt better keeping my $$ on this side of the border. No offense to any of our northern neighbors, or anyone that uses HQ. But thats just my opinion. I feel like it was a good decision. As my Hillside 98" build, including the gear drive conversion and pricey woods cams. Still came in very close to the price of the HQ 98 kit. Not to mention Scott was never more than a phone call away, before during and after the build.
After spending some time on this forum, I also see that in most cases it makes nearly identical, and in some cases more power than the HQ 107's!
Glad for you guys that are happy with you HQ stuff. But if/when I go bigger, no doubt in my mind who I will be using.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:15 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
We perfer the 106 S&S over the HQ 107. I do not really wish to hear problems and criticism especially from those with no real hands on experience with both. We did Master Blasters virgin 107 HQ that another shop tuned. You can check out MB own #'s yourself.

While the HQ was OK there is a better options than the California Pistons that has Headquarters puts their logo on as their own. The backwards grind and the sharp rises cam is not the ideal choice for longevity in our opinion. More options and grinds are a better choice for trouble free operation over the years. The lifters are not necessary to change as all of these aforementioned applications work very well with stock HD lifters. The porting and flow job was acceptable but nothing to warrant the pricing HQ's gets. The piston rings can not be installed as is and need to be gaped, so keep that in mind. If you wish the bike for cruising the most radical cam, huge compression ratios and maximum HP is not the bst choice unless bragging rights takes presidency over ridability. For every HP gain there is always negatives and a cost more than the price of the build.

All in all I believe for the $5,500 Hillside equivalent build and the pricing of the headquarters should be 40% lower. While everyone raves about the HQ's the same and better results could be had by others 40% cheaper. This is my own experience and opinion. The object of this post is to make other members with undecided and open minded and who are not swayed by brand names. Do what you like but do your homework.
I have read this part several times and can not understand what you are saying.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:00 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

I am sorry about that so why don't you PM me or call and maybe I can help you out in understanding what I meant. I will try and communicate better so my view point is understandable. If you do a little further investigation you will see who built the motors in question, side by side.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:03 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

what howard is saying is that the same builder that did my HQ and a few other HQ motors also does S&S and sees similar results in numbers. Cost is more for HQ, numbers similar 106 vs 107, I think thats what he is saying.

After reading this post originally I started wondering why we dont see more talk about S&S on this forum, I know thay have quality stuff or they would not have been around so long. I know their web sight is not that good, neither is HQ new website. Would like to read more on here about the S&S builds on this forum.