Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Ultra Classic, problem with radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 11:11 PM
hitower
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Ultra Classic, problem with radio

I am having problems with the radio/cd on my new Ultra Classic (4 weeks old). When I turn the volume up on the intercom mode, there is noise distorsion, cracking noise in both my wofes helmet and mine. No problems with the external speakers on the helmet speakers. First thought it aws a problem with my internal helmet speakers but wife noticed the same problem when she was on the bike yesterday. It is the same noise you get when you turn your home HIFI up too loud and the speakers are strained. Only issue is, I have not even got the intercom turned u to 1/2 volume!

any ideas?

Thanks

Old 11-01-2009, 11:20 PM
stuart1270
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

You don't say what brand head sets your using however you should try adjusting the intercom volume vs the main volume control also make sure if the head sets have their own volume control that it is all the way up.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:26 AM
FLHTim
Cruiser

If you are using the stock HD sets sadly that is about as good as it gets. I went through 2 sets when the bike was new thinking it was a speaker problem. We just this weekend took a 600 mile round trip using the imc headsets for half helmets and were very happy with the sound, for the first time it was loud enough to sound really good. Bought them from Serria for around 70. We have a hawg wired 150 watt system and rather use the headsets on trips.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:06 AM
harleyman1340
Cruiser

turn the bass and treble down, seems to help some and make sure the little speakers are firmly attached to the helmet so they don't rattle around.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Al Hoyo
Stage I

I have an '08 Ultra and have been having issues with the intercom interfering with the radio when the bike is moving (either completely cuts out the radio or mutes it with static).
After several service calls I've been told it's ambient noise being picked up by the stock HD microphone. The problem is that HD is telling me that they can't guarantee that their "upgraded" set won't have the same problem.
Between J&M, IMC, and other available options, who has had what king of luck with the optional equipment available (can't normally return electronic components).

Old 07-23-2010, 03:14 PM
djaudette
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got J&M, purchased from Sierra Electronics. They have a 2 year warranty. I have sent 2 lower cables back to them and received replacements in less then a week. As far as the cutting out, your microphone is picking up road and wind noice. It happens to me as well. Adjust your VOC and also found it helps with the fairing wings closed.