Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King or Fat Boy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 01:34 AM
smokewagon
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King or Fat Boy?

I have lusted after a Fat Boy for years, and am now ready to buy. BUT I also got to looking at the Road King after being told it was a much better bike for two-up riding & longer trips … I test rode both, and while they felt very different, I really liked both of them, and am torn between them.
The Fat Boy felt more nimble & light, but I liked the solid feel of the Road King … I liked the thumpiness of the Road King motor, and the softer exhaust noise too.
If I got the Fat Boy, I'd probably essentially want to turn it into a Heritage - I would consider a Heritage, but just can't get behind the studded furniture …

Since it's my first bike, I don't know quite what sort of riding I will be doing, probably mostly day trips until my kids are older, but I do want one that will be comfortable for me and a companion on longer trips if the opportunity presents itself.
Has anyone owned both bikes, or can speak to the comfort of the Fat Boy on longer trips?

Old 12-01-2009, 03:22 AM
DHart
Tourer

There is at least one VERY significant difference between those two bikes in my mind.

The H-D counterbalanced motors I've ridden (the soft tails) have felt strained to me at the higher RPMs, whereas the rubber-mounted non-counterbalanced motors on all the other Harleys seem to just love the higher revs and get smoother and smoother as you take the revs up. Do 75mph or 80 mph on them both and you'll feel what I mean. To me the counter-balanced motor at 75 feels like it's straining. Not the rubber-mount. The King will do it with ease and beg for more. Not the Soft tail. I've never liked the counterbalanced Harleys for that reason alone. There are big suspension differences as well, but the counterbalanced engine kills the entire soft tail family for me.

My vote? Pass on the FatBoy and do directly to the King!

Last edited by DHart; 12-01-2009 at 03:29 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:21 AM
carltex
Road Warrior

Road King. Not a big fan of the balanced motor. After having a Superglide and now a Street Glide the Fat Boy wouldn't have the shake rattle and roll. They purr.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:30 AM
rkride
Cruiser

I wrestled between a Fat boy and a Road King also. I am sure glad that I listened to my gut and went with the King. Could never see myself going back

Old 12-01-2009, 05:15 AM
hot95hog
Cruiser

Originally Posted by smokewagon
The Fat Boy felt more nimble & light, but I liked the solid feel of the Road King … I liked the thumpiness of the Road King motor, and the softer exhaust noise too.

Has anyone owned both bikes, or can speak to the comfort of the Fat Boy on longer trips?
I have ridden both bikes and currently still have the Fat Boy and a Road Glide. Yes the Fat Boy is much lighter and more nimble at slow speeds. On the road its a draw, with the lean clearance going to the Road King.
As for the exhaust being softer on the RK, so what more than likely you will change the pipes in the near future on which ever one you buy. As for thumpiness not sure what you mean, exaust thump or the vibrations felt through the seat of the pants and the bars. The counterbalanced engine is just fine, no problems with it. To have the twin cam in the hard mounted frame you got to do something or it will shake apart.

I have ridden my Fat Boy on extended trips two up with the wife thru Russia for a few weeks. Terrible roads and lots of miles. No complaints, detachable windshield and a mid size upright with medium sized backrest. No problems. Still love to ride it, even though my RG is ridden the most. Only because working for the military overseas I can register 3 vehicles, the wifes car, my truck and the RG. That leave the Fat Boy out. Even though I do occasionally put her on the road. No tickets yet.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:24 AM
SharkBite
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

To me the Road King is the easy choice, much more versatile.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:48 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior

I miss my old road king. With the king you get the detachable windshield, bags, running lights and the crash bar.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:30 AM
Canadian Castaway
Intermediate

I Also do not own an HD yet, but have also ridden both on road tests and I will be considering the RK, but have also investigated the EGC, A friend of mine from the famous Port Dover area has a Fat Boy, he has no problems going on long rides with his wife, but has told me that he sometimes wishes he picked up a RK instead. Tough choice eh!

Canadian Castaway

Old 12-01-2009, 08:13 AM
stevepacman
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I almost got a Fatboy too. Glad I didn't.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:18 AM
Emonster6x
Cruiser

You have to get what you really want, or you will be sorry later!

Quick Reply: Road King or Fat Boy?