Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From my 8yo's writing book while in Afghanistan

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 02:24 AM
troy.j
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MACHD03
Troy J,
Got love the kids. Where are you at in Afghanistan, I am currently at Bagram. In the Air Force deployed with the F-16's, aircraft maintenance.

Mac
Same, I was on the other side of the airfield working on the Prowler for the Navy. I work Com/Nav and ECM. I was there Feb to Sep of 08 and Apr to Nov 09.

Have the rocket attacks calmed down yet? They got really old during the summer this year. At the peak this year it was 3 to 4 nights a week.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:13 AM
MACHD03
Cruiser

Originally Posted by troy.j
Same, I was on the other side of the airfield working on the Prowler for the Navy. I work Com/Nav and ECM. I was there Feb to Sep of 08 and Apr to Nov 09.

Have the rocket attacks calmed down yet? They got really old during the summer this year. At the peak this year it was 3 to 4 nights a week.
Troy,
We had one attack that was pretty close in Nov, some shrapnel landed by the jets and about 30 yards from the building. We haven't had any since, knock on wood.
The weather has been cold, so hopefully it is keeping them inside.
Well hope all is well back home. Be home in a month or so.

Mac

Old 12-20-2009, 06:28 AM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife and I were talking a week or so ago and she said she found my daughter crying and when she asked her what was wrong she, said she was crying because daddy won't be here for Christmas. I have been gone since January. This is my second tour. I will be home before the end of this jan if everything goes as they have it planned. The tours are not just hard on the soldier, but very hard for children at home. I have 2, a girl and a boy. Really ready to get home.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:11 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

God Bless you All and My thought's and Prayers go out to all of you (and your family's) for a safe and speedy return!!
I wish you a Merry Xmas!!!!

Old 12-20-2009, 09:08 AM
street_glider
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Please know that my wife and I pray daily for all uniformed men and women fighting for the freedom of our homeland and for those who struggle for the same freedoms we enjoy.

May God Bless all of you and your families that wait for your return home.

Thank You, and your families, for your service.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:14 AM
whitebikertrash
Novice

Thank you for your service to our country! People like you are the reason I can ride free & die free.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:50 AM
troy.j
Road Captain

MACHD03, VETERAN75,

Three boys here. I have been in 19 years now and am on the short side for sure. My Oldest was born in 1990 before I graduated high school. He came to live with me when he was 10. (His mom got into some stuff she shouldn’t have and the kids got taken away.) His mom cleaned up and he went back to live with her for his senior year of school. He went away to college and couldn’t make it work money wise and is now looking at joining the air force or navy. He went back to stay with his mom for a little while and is trying to sort out his life. I worry about him and his motivation…

My middle son is almost 12 and autistic. That makes it very hard, but easier to explain at the same time. He doesn’t get emotional, I think that is because he doesn’t understand the concept of war and lives in the moment. If he can’t touch it or see it it’s not real for him. (Sometimes I wish I could live in the moment like he does all the time.)

My youngest is almost 10 now and takes care of his older brother. He has a solid grasp of the importance of family and understands the meaning of “Blood is thicker then water”. I know a father should have no favorites, but he is the most caring and the most stand up of all my boys.

MACHD03, I am glad things have simmered down over there. The cold and snow really keeps the locals pinned up better than we ever could. Keep at the grind and you’ll be home before you know it. Where in the states are you stationed?

VETERAN75 , Both of my boys go through fits from time to time where they miss dad enough to cry. It always gets the wife going when they do. I wish I could tell you how to cope with that, but after all these years I still havent figured it out. LOL. How old are you kids?

To both of you, God Bless, Keep your head in it till your out of it, and I hope you both have a great home coming.

Troy.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:33 AM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior

My daughter is 15 and son is 11. I think she see's things on TV and the recent bombings around here have her worried about me more. Plus my Grandpa passed out in church a week ago from low blood pressure and everyone thought he died, thank God he didn't, so she is shaken from that too. I wish they didn't understand, so the stress and worry wouldn't be there. I'll be home soon.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:29 AM
MACHD03
Cruiser

Troy and Veteran,
Hope your kids are doing well, I think mine who is 19 is numb to it now, been doing serving now for close to 27 years. Kids are awesome, they pretty much bounce back after a few weeks at home. I think they understand more than we think, and probably coup better than we think. Just hope it works out well for everyone. Veteran hope you get home when you are suppose to. I know Korea aint the same for a year, but know a little how yea fill, got back about 2 years ago for my second time. I appreciate what you all do on a daily basis out in the field. Troy, those trips on the carriers for 6 months gotta be he!! on the family to. Again guys thanks for your service to our country and the sacrifice that your loved ones at home make every day. Gods Speed
Sounds like we have some awesome families out there.
By the way, stationed in South Carolina, where you all stationed at? Maybe one day we can meet up on the bikes.

Mac

Old 12-21-2009, 12:16 PM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior

I am in the guard. spent 6 yrs active, one yr korea, camp stanton 94-95, bragg 95-99, sc guard 02-07 with 1 iraq tour, nc guard 08-current on another iraq tour. I live in SC. Looking to join the reserve unit near Jackson when I finish this guard stint. I live in SC, Lancaster to be exact. Mac where are you at?

Quick Reply: From my 8yo's writing book while in Afghanistan