Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo/Tach and Turn Signals not working...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 08:27 PM
KaponeWKYA
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Speedo/Tach and Turn Signals not working...

Took my bike out today for a ride, looked down at the speedometer and it was not moving, stuck on 10mph and the tachometer was stuck on 2. The bike still ran fine, that was the only thing wrong. After I got off the freeway, at the first stop light, I turned the bike off thinking it needed to reset--then I couldn't get it to start. I pushed it into an empty parking space and kept flicking the ignition until I was able to get it to restart. After it restarted, the speedo went out completely (not showing mileage) and the turn signals didn't work, but the battery voltage was at 13 and the radio still worked. When I got home, the bike looked like it started no problem...any ideas what may be wrong? I just had work done on Saturday (installed cams, pushrods, SEPST, and dyno'd) and I rode it Sunday and the morning ride today was fine. Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Old 02-15-2010, 08:30 PM
Sancho
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First and easiest thing I'd do is check the fuses.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:13 PM
carguy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the speed sensor.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:09 AM
DZLDR
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same symptoms on my 08. I took it to dealer and the said they could not duplicate the problem. I took it home and everything was OK. The next weekend I took it out for a ride and guess what? Yep, no speedometer and no turnsignals. I sat back and figured out that the only thing in common with the problem occuring was "washing" the bike.
Like carguy suggested, check your VSS.
Thank God I have true duals, so the starter was a piece of cake to pull out. On our 08's the VSS is located underneath the starter. When I unplugged it, the connector cavity was full of water and one pin in the VSS had that dreaded blue / green corrosion all over it.
I cleaned it all off, put dielectric grease in the cavity, put it back together and have not had the problem since.
The rubber boot on the VSS connector was cocked off to one side when it was plugged in from the factory. Water entering in and just sitting there was grounding out the circuit. The dealer could not find it because when it sat there for a few days it dried out and worked as it should.
Hope this helps you with your problem.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:10 PM
KaponeWKYA
Tourer

Originally Posted by DZLDR
I had the same symptoms on my 08. I took it to dealer and the said they could not duplicate the problem. I took it home and everything was OK. The next weekend I took it out for a ride and guess what? Yep, no speedometer and no turnsignals. I sat back and figured out that the only thing in common with the problem occuring was "washing" the bike.
Like carguy suggested, check your VSS.
Thank God I have true duals, so the starter was a piece of cake to pull out. On our 08's the VSS is located underneath the starter. When I unplugged it, the connector cavity was full of water and one pin in the VSS had that dreaded blue / green corrosion all over it.
I cleaned it all off, put dielectric grease in the cavity, put it back together and have not had the problem since.
The rubber boot on the VSS connector was cocked off to one side when it was plugged in from the factory. Water entering in and just sitting there was grounding out the circuit. The dealer could not find it because when it sat there for a few days it dried out and worked as it should.
Hope this helps you with your problem.
Thanks, I'll look into this...I have only "washed" my bike once and ridden in the rain a couple of times and did neither this weekend...

Old 02-16-2010, 08:18 PM
hover
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

+1 on the VSS, sometimes they just get magnetic filings on them and they need to be cleaned.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:21 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you check for error codes? That would be a good place to start and should point you in the general direction of where to look.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:23 PM
KaponeWKYA
Tourer

I'm taking in back in to the dealer that installed the cams/tuner on Thursday--the service writer also said they need to check the error codes. Hopefully, it's an easy fix and they'll take good care of everything for me.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:14 PM
KaponeWKYA
Tourer
Default Badland's Module...

Took the glide back to the dealer this morning...turns out the errors came from an improperly installed Badlander's module...service writer said it wasn't installed correctly, but it's been installed for over a year...go figure. I don't think they would've had to do anything to the module to perform my dyno or install the race tuner, but I just think it's a BIG coincidence that it didn't work after I got it back...what are you gonna do...