Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo, turn signals out

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 10:05 PM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,118 Likes on 732 Posts
Default Speedo, turn signals out

Was on a ride and about 50 miles from home. Noticed horn was out, then looked down again and saw speedo stuck at the speed I was travelling and said my rear turn signals eventually stopped working. Any, turned it around and got home just before dark. Bike ran fine. Threw the trickle charger on it.

Checked battery connections, they look good. Figured in morning I'd check fuses.

What else should I be looking at?

Last fall, bike died on me and replaced the stator. Am I looking at stator? Regulator? I'm mechanically dumb, but do have the service manual and can follow directions. Wouldn't mind a little help with the head start tho.......

TIA

Old 06-18-2015, 10:09 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My first guess is just to check the ground. I've done my fair share of stators and rectifiers on last bike and your symptoms don't point to that.
Your speedo and indicators on the console are all one harness with actual signals on different one so very likely a nick or crimped ground somewhere. See if you can run the diagnostics on the speedo to check for error codes as well to see if something failed.

Last edited by capttawes; 06-18-2015 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:15 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,380 Likes on 1,927 Posts

Originally Posted by rhuff
Was on a ride and about 50 miles from home. Noticed horn was out, then looked down again and saw speedo stuck at the speed I was travelling and said my rear turn signals eventually stopped working. Any, turned it around and got home just before dark. Bike ran fine. Threw the trickle charger on it.

Checked battery connections, they look good. Figured in morning I'd check fuses.

What else should I be looking at?

Last fall, bike died on me and replaced the stator. Am I looking at stator? Regulator? I'm mechanically dumb, but do have the service manual and can follow directions. Wouldn't mind a little help with the head start tho.......

TIA
I didn't see what year or model. Any mods that may have an influence, bars lights ect. Have you checked for trouble codes?

Old 06-18-2015, 10:32 PM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Vernal
I didn't see what year or model. Any mods that may have an influence, bars lights ect. Have you checked for trouble codes?
2003 Road King Classic. Haven't checked for trouble codes. Can I do this without the speedo working? This includes RPM's, mileage, trip.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:14 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Take out the speed sensor on the transmission.

It will probably have some shavings on it -- clean them off.

Put it back in and make sure you have a good connection with the wire.

I had to replace this twice on my 2000 Road Glide...

Old 06-24-2015, 10:17 AM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Fishrrman
Take out the speed sensor on the transmission.

It will probably have some shavings on it -- clean them off.

Put it back in and make sure you have a good connection with the wire.

I had to replace this twice on my 2000 Road Glide...

Well, that took forever Was just a fuse. Of course, I start it up and engine light comes on. Kicked off right away, but seriously?! This bike is gonna be the death of me lol. Running fine, not gonna worry about it at the moment.

And my guess is after taking 2 seconds to think about it, is I bet I need to tighten up the negative ground to the battery.........

Last edited by rhuff; 06-24-2015 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:38 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,445 Likes on 2,654 Posts

Well, that took forever Was just a fuse. Of course, I start it up and engine light comes on. Kicked off right away, but seriously?! This bike is gonna be the death of me lol. Running fine, not gonna worry about it at the moment.

And my guess is after taking 2 seconds to think about it, is I bet I need to tighten up the negative ground to the battery.........
Wait - fuses blow for a reason. Changing the fuse will not solve your problem.

If it didnt blow immediately after replacing, its an intermittent problem, and will likely blow again.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:42 AM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Wait - fuses blow for a reason. Changing the fuse will not solve your problem.

If it didnt blow immediately after replacing, its an intermittent problem, and will likely blow again.
Okay, so what is my next step here?

Old 06-24-2015, 10:46 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,445 Likes on 2,654 Posts

Okay, so what is my next step here?
Wave garlic and chicken bones over it, chant, etc because its an electrical problem.

Determine which fuse blew and check the wiring for the stuff thats on that circuit.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:52 AM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Wave garlic and chicken bones over it, chant, etc because its an electrical problem.

Determine which fuse blew and check the wiring for the stuff thats on that circuit.
This fvcking bike may be the death of me........ Thanks.

Quick Reply: Speedo, turn signals out