Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone went back to stock after 21" ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:13 PM
creep1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone went back to stock after 21" ???

I put 21"x18" combo on my 07 rg. Been ridin it for a while . Love the look. Rides nice but.... Just not as well as the stock 16x16. Just not as confident at higher speeds and high speed exit ramps. Really considering puttin stock combo back on. So... Who has went back from the 21" world ???????

Old 03-08-2010, 12:08 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Try a 18 on the front to match your rear wheel. The overall diameters are very close to 16" er's. I know you don't wanna throw more money at the wheels but this is the way I'm going on my 08 Street Glide. I had this combo on a 91 Fatboy some years back and I thought it handled the same as stock and ride quality was very similar to stock, but looked way better.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:12 AM
roborob
Advanced

I just went to the 21,18 route on my 08 SG . Never say never but I like the way it handles,Seems to stick better at cruising speeds,takes a little more attention at the slower speeds . Looks good I love it.Stock wheels look like S^%$.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:50 AM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Im thinking about going from 18 to 21 in the front. It will be interesting to see what people will have to say

Old 03-08-2010, 10:48 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by roborob
I just went to the 21,18 route on my 08 SG . Never say never but I like the way it handles,Seems to stick better at cruising speeds,takes a little more attention at the slower speeds . Looks good I love it.Stock wheels look like S^%$.
I dont understand how it can stick better, you have less rubber on the ground. Basically a skinny front tire is good for straight line and twisties have wider tires (ie drag strip car compared to a indy or F1 style racing).

Old 03-08-2010, 03:07 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I know my buddy's stock '09 with a stock 17" rides better (smoother) than my '10 with a stock 18". I'm not sure I want to go any bigger. I think I want to just get a better looking set of stock size wheels and slam the front fender.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:10 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

I would never go back to stock size. After going with a 21" the bike turns better and the overall feel of the front end just feels better.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:25 PM
mike1158
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i went back and forth about the whole 21" front wheel thing myself BEFORE i ever got my bike. You know how we all pick the bike we want and then, for whatever reason it takes a while until we actually get it, so over that time we think about all the things we wanna change. I like alot of people looked at the bikes in the mags, with the 21" this and 21" that, with the chrome shining....so i was really heading that way. Then i saw one in real life. To me it just looked too big, and geometry wise it doesn't work. It raises the front of your bike about 1".
Probably the biggest thing that changed my mind was when i was talking to the salesman at my dealer before i bought the bike. and was telling him "yeah i'm thinkin' of changing this, and that., and getting bigger wheels.." and he said..."ahhhhhhhh!..just ride it."
i doubt you'll find many people here at all that will say they went from 21" back to stock, because they all bought it for one reason...LOOKS... they would never admit if it didn't handle as good, or stop as good...cuz that's not what matters to them and that also would mean they made a $1500 dollar mistake...thats a tough one to own up to.
I'm NOT saying guys with 21's are wrong, hey it's your bike, do what you want...and if i see you on the street i'll probably tell you it looks sharp..i like chrome just as much as the next guy.
at the root of it all is the fact that it's your bike and what matters to you. if feel is more important then shine..... then there you have it.
I know i spend alot more time ON my bike, where i can't even see the wheels, rather then off the bike staring at it.
of couse all this doesn't mean you have to choose between Bling and feel,. there are alot of nice looking 18"s out there. I really like those HD "Blade" wheels that came on the SE Road Glide last year. I think HD just introduced a chrome version of the 2010 SG/RG wheel for about $500 a piece...seems pretty resonable... I even remember seeing a 19" front..i think it was Renegade wheels...could be another option..

Old 03-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

The 21" definately looks better than it rides. If I had to do it again, I would have done and 18" in front.

I've lowered the front an 1" using the HD lowering springs so it isn't so bad now.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:42 PM
2D3K1H1B1HIM
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have had my SG for 4 years still havent bit the bullit on wheels,seems the 21" are a great addition bu do they really ride as well,track in rain,and give you the overall performance a 16" or a 18" would.I ride 2 up 70% and load up...still cant decide wwhat to do think'in about an 18" front stock rear...then lower the fender to get the look.

Quick Reply: Anyone went back to stock after 21" ???