Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 ultra calssic Cig lighter

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 08:55 AM
dsteep
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2008 ultra calssic Cig lighter

hey, I'm trying to use the Cig lighter on my Ultra as a power port for my GPS. Problem is the power turns off after a couple of minutes. Anyone know if there is timer or something somewhere that does that? Can I replace this lighter with a power port from powerlet? thanks .. Dave

Sorry for the spelling, not enough coffee yet.. (Classic)

Old 03-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Retrax
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your lighter or your device is not blowing fuses the only reason I can think you are losing power is a loose fit between the plug and socket, a loose wire in your device harness or a loose connection or wire on the cigarette lighter side of your bike.

You can switch to a powerlet socket. I can't remember the part number but there is a socket which will directly replace your cigarette socket (I am planning the same swap). Just remember, your device will need a powerlet sized male end on its harness in order to plug it in. Powerlet sells a number of cables or just plugs for the do it yourselfer. You could also try an adapter to go between the cigarette PLUG and the powerlet socket but I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:24 PM
Jambon1
Tourer

I use the cig outlet to power my gps ALL the time with no interuption of power. Sounds like you have a loose wire/short somewhere or your plug is not fitting properly and coming loose.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:28 PM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

On my 09 ultra I replaced my cig lighter with the HD accessory 12V outlet. It is a direct replacement and it should take care of the power issue you are having. Cost is 20 retail.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Fewe
Cruiser

You definitely have a problem either with your lighter socket or the GPS itself. I use the lighter socket for my GPS on a fairly regular basis and have never had a problem with intermittent power. If still in warranty have the dealer look at it. If not check for loose wires or connections inside the GPS plug and inside the fairing. Should be a simple fix once you locate the source of the problem.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:22 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

The lighter is on the accesssory circuit, if the key is on or acc it is powered, no timer. Sounds like the problem is with your GPS, have you tried it in a different vehicle?

Old 03-13-2010, 12:46 AM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Powerlet socket part number is PSO-001 and goes for around $18. If you order one, tell them it's for a Harley dresser and they will include a spacer (thin, black washer) since the diameter of the Powerlet socket is less than the cigarette lighter socket. They also sell a right angle plug (PPL-004) so there is no interference with the tank with the forks full left.

http://www.powerletproducts.com/prod...t-complete/425

Last edited by Woodchuck; 03-13-2010 at 12:57 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:44 PM
Retrax
Tourer

That was the part number I was trying to find. Thanks Woodchuck

Old 03-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

It's not the lighter you have some other issue may be try different cable for your GPS

Old 03-13-2010, 07:51 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have a permanent mount, why not hard wire it in? Easy place to pick up power is on the headlight wire, already a connector there that takes a spade connection.

Quick Reply: 2008 ultra calssic Cig lighter