Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PC-V Auto Tune problems - No Trims values...????

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 07:33 PM
valleyracinginc
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Note: Map Switch and Auto Tune can not be enabled at the same time.
Select Power Commander Tools Configure Auto Tune.

Select the Auto Tune Enabled box to enable or disable Auto Tune.

Select the Enable Hardware Switch box. When selected, Auto Tune will not start until the switch on the handle bar is toggled.

just my $.02

Old 03-18-2010, 10:05 PM
NAUIdvr1
Tourer

To All,
Thanks for all the suggestions.

RMD - I do have the correct termination plug installed, I even removed it and checked it with a meter to insure it had continuity.

iClick - when the switch is off, it is in a "normally open" condition. When it is turned on, it is in a "normally closed" position and should allow the AT trims to actually take effect "live". I made sure I turned the ignition switch on & the run switch too, when checking for voltage on the accy wires - thanks though for helping me remember all the little things.

valleyracinginc - I think you may be on to something here. I am aware that the "dual" map switch can't be enabled at the same time as Autotune. I may have described it wrong. I have enabled Autotune & the Hardware switch. The way Keith from FM described that the hardware switch would work - he told me that when off (open) I would be running the base map. When on (closed) I would be running the live suggested AT trim values. But maybe this is not correct, I might have to turn the switch on (closed) when I have the hardware switch enabled in order for Autotune to work. Currently I have disconnected the switch, physically. I have not had a chance to connect with my laptop yet, but will tomorrow. I will then disable the hardware switch and then see if Autotune suggests any trim values after tomorrows ride.

Again, thanks to everyone for all the assistance.

Last edited by NAUIdvr1; 03-18-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:30 PM
NAUIdvr1
Tourer

To All,
I couldn't wait till tomorrow, so I just went out to the parking lot & hooked up my laptop. After riding 375 miles today I still had no trim values, this is after I pysically disconnected the "MAP" switch from last night - but I did not disable the "Hardware switch" in the software.

So what I just did right now, was connected to the PC-V with my laptop. Pressed "Get Map" - no trims values from autotune. I disabled the hardware switch. Then disabled Autotune, then re-enabled it. Hopefully, when I finish riding 300+ miles tomorrow, I should have some Autotune suggested trim values.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:49 PM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default any update?

Did you get trim values after disabling the map switch?

Old 03-19-2010, 09:34 PM
NAUIdvr1
Tourer

Just pulled in to hotel for the day. I now have trim values! I guess I'll have to call Jamie at FM and have him explain the correct way the hardware switch operates. For now, I'm good to go!

Thanks to All!

Old 03-19-2010, 09:42 PM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default great news!

keep an eye on the trim values..if you are running Jamies Map, they should not deviate too much.. if they do, you may want to adjust the maximum adjustment percentages.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:53 PM
NAUIdvr1
Tourer

Will do. But so far it has suggest only small trims with only one or two values at 20 and they were at less than 5% throttle, if I recall correctly.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:41 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by NAUIdvr1
iClick - when the switch is off, it is in a "normally open" condition. When it is turned on, it is in a "normally closed" position and should allow the AT trims to actually take effect "live". I made sure I turned the ignition switch on & the run switch too, when checking for voltage on the accy wires - thanks though for helping me remember all the little things.
I'm a bit confused. You are using the stock ACC switch, so where on the ACC harness have you connected the wires to the PCV? If you are using the stock switch and wiring you must remove the P&A fuse or otherwise break the 12V circuit. You don't want any voltage running through the wires to the PCV.

valleyracinginc - I think you may be on to something here. I am aware that the "dual" map switch can't be enabled at the same time as Autotune. I may have described it wrong. I have enabled Autotune & the Hardware switch. The way Keith from FM described that the hardware switch would work - he told me that when off (open) I would be running the base map. When on (closed) I would be running the live suggested AT trim values. But maybe this is not correct, I might have to turn the switch on (closed) when I have the hardware switch enabled in order for Autotune to work.
You should not select the Map Switch option under Device Tools > Configure. However, it should be checked in the Auto-Tune section.

Keith is correct and that's the way it works on my bike. Open circuit (switch off) is base map only, closed circuit (switch on)
is closed-loop mode. I would assume that it will not adjust trims while the switch is off and running only the base map.

Currently I have disconnected the switch, physically. I have not had a chance to connect with my laptop yet, but will tomorrow. I will then disable the hardware switch and then see if Autotune suggests any trim values after tomorrows ride.
If you disconnect the switch you will have an open circuit and therefore AT will run the base map only (open-loop). If you want to test it, deselect the Map Switch option in the Auto-Tune section of the software. If you do that it should write trims, just as it should do with the switch on.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:55 PM
NAUIdvr1
Tourer

Originally Posted by iclick
I'm a bit confused. You are using the stock ACC switch, so where on the ACC harness have you connected the wires to the PCV? If you are using the stock switch and wiring you must remove the P&A fuse or otherwise break the 12V circuit. You don't want any voltage running through the wires to the PCV.
I am connected directly to the ACCY plug under the seat, with a harness built by a member here. The way it is wired is such that the voltage is not present only the open or closed part of the circuit.

You should not select the Map Switch option under Device Tools > Configure. However, it should be checked in the Auto-Tune section.
I never had the MAP switch checked only the hardware switch in the AT section.

Keith is correct and that's the way it works on my bike. Open circuit (switch off) is base map only, closed circuit (switch on)
is closed-loop mode. I would assume that it will not adjust trims while the switch is off and running only the base map.
I now understand how the switch works, however, when Keith explained it to me - I think I mis-understood his wording on this subject.

If you disconnect the switch you will have an open circuit and therefore AT will run the base map only (open-loop). If you want to test it, deselect the Map Switch option in the Auto-Tune section of the software. If you do that it should write trims, just as it should do with the switch on.
I have done this and it is now writing AT trims values. I will re-connect the switch later and do some more playing around.

Thanks much!

Old 03-21-2010, 02:10 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by NAUIdvr1
I am connected directly to the ACCY plug under the seat, with a harness built by a member here. The way it is wired is such that the voltage is not present only the open or closed part of the circuit.
Unless I'm missing something, in its stock configuration that switch cannot be wired to the PCV where 12V isn't flowing through the switch with the ignition on. To do it you'd need to remove the P&A fuse, which on my '07 feeds only the ACC switch, or otherwise break the circuit going to that fuse. Do a continuity check with the ignition off, then turn on the ignition and check those same pins for 12V.

Try shorting the PCV map-switch holes with a short wire and see if your trims change. That's the same thing as having a closed switch.

I now understand how the switch works, however, when Keith explained it to me - I think I mis-understood his wording on this subject.
It's just important to understand that the switch needs to be independent of any DC power, and in its stock configuration will deliver 12V when the ignition switch is on. The PCV map-switch feature isn't designed to operate with a switch
that's carrying any DC power.

To repeat, remove the P&A fuse in the fuse panel. When the ACC switch is in the "on" position (i.e. switched down toward the LED bulb on the switch) you should be running in AT. Switched up you will be running the base map only, and trims will probably not be updated.

I have done this and it is now writing AT trims values. I will re-connect the switch later and do some more playing around.

Thanks much!
No problem, and let us know how it goes. I'm betting it'll work.