Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Tank removal - Oh What a MESS!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 07:53 AM
t059736
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Fuel Tank removal - Oh What a MESS!!!!

So after reading the advice of others, and getting some clarifications from a few, I removed my fuel tank last night. I had made up some hose plugs as one rider advised but when I started the removal I had left them in the house. Besides, I just purchased a "good" siphone pump - who could asked for anything more - right?
Well I now feel as I have "passed" my initiation into this wonderful brotherhood. After siphoning out what I thought was all the gas in the tank, I started doing the disconnects. Everything was going fine UNTIL it came to to taking off the crossover fuel line. That's when I found out that the tank was nearly as empty as I had thought. Boy, does a moderate amount of fuel make a HIGH mess. But at least the tank is off now and I can start doing my "reworks". I'm looking foward to reinstalling the crossover line with the recommended valve so as to not have to go through this ordeal again. Mind you, if I had slowed down just a little bit, and had the hose plugs "at the ready" - none of this would have happened.
For any others that are considering to remove their fuel tanks - READ and FOLLOW the advice given through the "posts". You'll be glad you did.
Thanks to all that helped.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:09 AM
SlimsSG
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember my first time as well! Very similar results...

I now have the quick disconnects installed for the crossover hose, and removal of the tank takes under 5 minutes - with no mess. Don't understand why HD keeps that design and/or crossover hose without a disconnect??

Old 03-26-2010, 08:30 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by SlimsSG
Don't understand why HD keeps that design and/or crossover hose without a disconnect??
I thought they put them on the 09s.

Beary

Old 03-26-2010, 08:32 AM
timvan
Road Warrior

new bikes dont have a crossover fyi

Old 03-26-2010, 08:33 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,965 Likes on 1,715 Posts

If you have a pre 08 fuel tank with the cross over line in the front, I suggest installing a quick connect fitting from Herko. Best thing that can be done. Makes future tank pulls a piece of cake.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:41 AM
FThrasher
Advanced

I am laughing hard but not at you with you. Becaus i suddeny don't feel so alone ;-)
Took apart my 2004 fxsti tank last week ( for the second time) and cussed up a storm in the garage. Tried siphoning as much as i could but still manageg to get gasoline evrywhere. Add to that kids toys lying around in the garage that made me trip with full jerry can of gas..+ The wife asking if i couild be alittle tiser because she could smell gasoline on house..;Arghhh I never thought i would but i sooo miss my carb sporty: no fuel injection. no unreliable fuel gauge and no close calls with imolation while trying to remove my gas tank :-)

Old 03-26-2010, 09:46 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep, dawg and I put one on my bike when we did the cams last year. Great thing to have.

Originally Posted by dawg
If you have a pre 08 fuel tank with the cross over line in the front, I suggest installing a quick connect fitting from Herko. Best thing that can be done. Makes future tank pulls a piece of cake.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:16 PM
dolson911
Cruiser

I got this Colder (I think the same that Herko recommends) fitting for a crossover and I can't seem to get any combination of hose length that'll make it work. Since this is for a Softail (sorry if I crossed the line ) do you think that the width between the crossover tubes is less then the Touring models?

Or are you all using a more flexible line than the factory one? I think if the line has bit more flex in it then you could get enough room to pull the coupling apart. It just seemed like when I was fitting it on the bench that I couldn't get the hose to bend or kink enough to get a straight shot to connect it without potentially screwing up the o-rings.

I effed up the o-ring in the fuel line disconnect a few years ago so I'm a bit cautious now.

-DO

Attached Thumbnails Fuel Tank removal - Oh What a MESS!!!!-crossover_closed.jpg   Fuel Tank removal - Oh What a MESS!!!!-crossover_open.jpg  
Old 03-27-2010, 06:41 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 309 Likes on 181 Posts

You have now been initiated lol. Been there, done that.

Old 02-10-2016, 04:32 PM
Mickeyyak
2nd Gear
Default Drain Gas From Crossover Quick Connect

Draining a Gas Tank is simple. If you are putting a Quick Connector or Quick Release in the crossover why not use a Safety Drain?
Safety Drain gives you a plastic piece for the connector that attaches to a drain hose. All you have to do is disconnect the quick Release and then plug in the Safety Drain and you are draining gas fast, easy and with no sucking mess!
They are on E Bay

Attached Thumbnails Fuel Tank removal - Oh What a MESS!!!!-gas-line-quick-connector-with-safety-drain.jpg  

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank removal - Oh What a MESS!!!!