Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leak from a poor design...........

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 11:53 AM
mwriggs
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak from a poor design...........

I have noticed on my '06 EGC, that my oil pan and bottom of the engine have been "wet" lately with oil. I had decided , I would worry about it, when it started to drip. Well I have noticed in the last couple of weeks a small drip, so its time............
After looking the motor over real good, I discovered that it was coming from an area on the left side (If youre sitting on the bike) down low, from what looked to be some sort of a line coming out of the engine. As it turns out, it is the wires coming from the stator in the primary. The factory, or I guess I should say the engineers simply designed a rubber "plug" for the wires to go through. Well guess what...rubber eventually gets hard and breaks down, and it is all incorporated as part of the stator!! WTF??? One of the guys at the dealer said, either replace the stator, or let it drip......or maybe you can get some RTV silicone on it. NO WAY....its practically impossible to get to it! I cleaned the area real well or as beat as I could and tried applying some RTV with my finger.....Havent checked it today, but I seriously doubt that I got it stopped. What have ya'll done, or has anyone else had this problem??

Old 05-03-2010, 01:51 PM
mwriggs
Cruiser

Is there possibly a seal kit, bec Im am quite sure there are probably more seals that need to be replaced while Im in there..........

Old 05-03-2010, 09:02 PM
96ApeKing
Cruiser

I don't have a newer bike so I won't know but if it were me, I'd just let it drip. It won't leak enough through oil changes that you have to top up and by the time the rubber seal wears off enough for that to happen, it's about the time your compensator and stator go bad.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:06 PM
snohomish
Advanced
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I developed the same leak you are talking about last fall. Replaced the stator over the winter. Had about 40K at the time. 2006 EGC also. Just one of those things that happen.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:49 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

You DO NOT have to replace the stator. Just pull it, clean the plug the case and the hole. When you look at the plug you will see grooves around it where it passes through the case. Apply a bead of silicone in the middle of the plug and pull it back through.

Putting sealer on the outside will do nothing but make a mess and not seal the leak.