Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

??? Anyone "Frozen" a wheel bearing to install it???

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:16 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts
Question ??? Anyone "Frozen" a wheel bearing to install it???

I read here on the forum that a member had frozen a wheel bearing by putting in frig. for like 4 hours and warmed up the wheel with a hair dryer and the "frozen" wheel bearing dropped right in???? Just wondering if anyone else had done this or even heard of such a thing? Any other EZ (cheap) method, Dealer want 1/2 hour to install per bearing!!! T.I.A.!!!!! Tim..... :-)

Old 05-19-2010, 09:24 AM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you put them in the freezer, it will help some. I had mine in over night, but they still did not "drop in". It will still take some force from a plate puller to seat them all the way.

Unless you heated the entire rim from the bead all the way to the bearing bore, I cannot see how that would do much good (with a hair dryer). You could only raise the rim temperature 30-40 degrees tops, that is not enough to expand the bore enough to drop the bearing in.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:27 AM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

Put the bearings in the freezer for a couple hours. Lay the wheel out in the sunshine to warm it up. Install the bearings quickly though, cause once they heat back up they won't fall in so easily. Cold contracts the bearing and heat expands the wheel.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:03 AM
TXCHOP
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

But a thick threaded rod from the hardware store. Get some big fender washers of different sizes and nuts. Make a tool to pull them both in, one at a time.Dont forget the spacer or to seat the bearings fully either.. usa assembly lube on them.

Last edited by TXCHOP; 05-19-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:14 AM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is the only easy way to install wheel bearings without a press, and it works great. I used the Sun/freezer method yesterday on a F150 they did not drop right in but it was close.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:45 AM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nope, but I'm getting some new wheels and I'm going to use this method.
We used dry ice and ovens for this in the Navy.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:36 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 321 Likes on 184 Posts

Freeze the bearings and heat the hub (I use a heat gun). Have your press ready or use the threaded rod method. Work quickly when installing, you don't want to stop with them half way in.

Last edited by piasspj; 05-19-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:56 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have not had to do this (yet) but reading the responses had me doing an experiment. Naturally getting the bearing cold in the freezer will cause it to contract, at least somewhat. Heating the hub will of course cause it to expand.

For the experiment I used my digital thermometer on my Snap on rolling stool and the starting temp was 67.2. After just 2 minutes with my heat gun set on high it got to 208.4 degrees. It may take some trial and error but between the hot/cold and other suggestions you should be able to pull it off without much problem.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:02 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by strtarrow
I have not had to do this (yet) but reading the responses had me doing an experiment. Naturally getting the bearing cold in the freezer will cause it to contract, at least somewhat. Heating the hub will of course cause it to expand.

For the experiment I used my digital thermometer on my Snap on rolling stool and the starting temp was 67.2. After just 2 minutes with my heat gun set on high it got to 208.4 degrees. It may take some trial and error but between the hot/cold and other suggestions you should be able to pull it off without much problem.
You might be able to get somewhere with a heat gun, they get a lot hotter than a hair dryer.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:57 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking

I've frozen my nuts off before, that count?

Quick Reply: ??? Anyone "Frozen" a wheel bearing to install it???