Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer put front wheel on backwards - could this cause warping?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 12:15 AM
blueduramax
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer put front wheel on backwards - could this cause warping?

My front brakes began to pulse upon stopping and I suspected warped rotors. I bought all the parts to put floating rotors and new pads on. When I took the wheel off I discovered that the recent dealer installed new tire and wheel were put on backwards, so that the right rotor was on the left etc. and the rotation arrow on the tire was wrong. Question, could this have caused the rotors to warp?

Old 06-09-2010, 04:17 AM
hardwork2
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I wouldn't think so. My bike s fron rotors warped and only had 5500 miles on it? I don;t have a clue why but H-D took care of it under warranty.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:23 AM
Jerry L
Road Warrior
Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts

I wouldn't think that would cause the rotors to warp, but I'd have to be thinking that if a tech was able to put my tire/wheel on backwards, that he would also be able to bend the rotors when he was removing/installing/rolling the wheel/tire around. The rotors will bend if the wheel flops overs while its off the bike. Makes ya wonder.
Jerry

Old 06-09-2010, 06:10 AM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I hear people who think they have warped rotors fairly often. But in reality truly warped rotors are pretty rare. Two things will usually fix the problem. Quite often a good cleaning will solve the problem or in severe cases a new set of brake pads will be called for. Heat warp is rare, although they can be bent due to stupidity and improper tire equipment. Both are pretty rare. Biggest problem is brake dust. Don't be afraid to clean em up.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:22 AM
Olde Skool
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ain't it great when you take your bike to the dealer only to have them fugg it up. I feel yer pain.

I would be lobbying for a new front tire. Seems like running it in "reverse" would not be good for it or you. They do put directional arrows on them for a reason...

The following users liked this post:
smitty901 (10-08-2021)
Old 06-09-2010, 06:53 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I took my '09 Ultra Classic in for the 1000 mile service, a new tech fresh out of school, discovered the front tire was mounted backwards.

I've got a slight pulse when normally applying the front brake. Almost like the rotor(s) are warped.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:54 AM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

there was a bulletin on the 06 bike on reversing the rotors to eliminate the brake squeal so no.. I took my rotors off when I put the chrome wheels on mine and I didnt mark the rotors and have no idea what side they were on .. Turn the wheel around and ride it .. see what happens..

Old 06-09-2010, 07:05 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by n8dc
there was a bulletin on the 06 bike on reversing the rotors to eliminate the brake squeal so no.. I took my rotors off when I put the chrome wheels on mine and I didnt mark the rotors and have no idea what side they were on .. Turn the wheel around and ride it .. see what happens..

Old 06-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by n8dc
There's your answer. When I replaced the truly warped rotors on my '07 I thought the assembler made a similar mistake. A little investigation found that bulletin & the explanation. I have no idea how it will effect the OP's floating rotors, but he can feel better about his dealer.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:35 AM
flight
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW. My 08 SG rotors are stamped with the side and the rotation direction.

Quick Reply: Dealer put front wheel on backwards - could this cause warping?