Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddle Bag Filler Panels - What's Good, What's Bad??

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 06:36 AM
mashbolt
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Saddle Bag Filler Panels - What's Good, What's Bad??

Hi All,

The bike is a 2005 Ultra Classic and I've been looking to add Saddle Bag Filler Panels to it for some time now. The Bike has Saddle bag guard rails fitted and I understand some panels will require holes drilled in them to make them fit.

But whats good, whats bad. Where did you buy them, what did you pay. Did you spray them to match or where they pre sprayed.

Has anyone made their own? Would be intrested it that option not a lot of dosh to spare at the moment.

Thanks in Advance.

Mark A.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:11 AM
bellgnte
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got them from the stealer. Mine are painted to match and were around $150 I think.....can't remember. They look better than without. I think it is a part they should put on at the factory but why give away anything, right? I do know the chrome version is cheaper. Only $84 on the dealer site I use.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:07 AM
phat96
Road Warrior

Try klock werks, I like the Jim Nasi ones for streched fenders.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:15 AM
BADBREW
Tourer

Got my at the dealer during a 20% off sale. Paid about $125. They make them in guard and no guard style. One has a cut out for Road King style guards. Didn't see an option for Ultra style guard cutouts. Its a factory order paint item. Upside...the paint matches your bike. Downside...they can't give you a delivery date and my dealer said don't call for 8wks, they will be in when there in. Does fill this area and makes it look complete compared to the "bolt cover" items sold by HD or Kury. I did see an article in a mag about how to make them yourself using cardboard to mock up the flat pattern to bend and make your own. It will take some Sheetmetal skill. I work in sheetmetal design and still opted to buy the factory ones compared to making my own. Lot of work to make your own and skill will be a factor in how good they look when done. Then you still will have to find a painter to match the paint. Wish you the best in getting what you want, IMO it completes and cleans up the look from the rear, worth the price of admission.

Added pic of fillers. Not the best angle was taking pic of exhaust but you can see the fillers

Attached Thumbnails Saddle Bag Filler Panels - What's Good, What's Bad??-2010-03-05-005.jpg  

Last edited by BADBREW; 06-24-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:40 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Can any post a picture of them intalled?

Especially on a Road King.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:11 PM
bellgnte
Road Master

Here are some quick shots of my RK with the cell phone. Regarding the filler strips, IMO it is a lot better than seeing the brackets but not as nice as the SG tail.
Do you think removing the bumper would look better? Since it is an 09, I can do that. Can't decide........

Attached Thumbnails Saddle Bag Filler Panels - What's Good, What's Bad??-0624000956-copy.jpg   Saddle Bag Filler Panels - What's Good, What's Bad??-0624000953-copy.jpg  
Old 06-24-2010, 05:51 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,965 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Originally Posted by mashbolt
Hi All,

The bike is a 2005 Ultra Classic and I've been looking to add Saddle Bag Filler Panels to it for some time now. The Bike has Saddle bag guard rails fitted and I understand some panels will require holes drilled in them to make them fit.

But whats good, whats bad. Where did you buy them, what did you pay. Did you spray them to match or where they pre sprayed.

Has anyone made their own? Would be intrested it that option not a lot of dosh to spare at the moment.

Thanks in Advance.

Mark A.
Can get chrome, black or painted to match your bike. The solid panels are the ones you want. The slotted as stated are for nostalgic rails. If you were to put something like the street glide fascia panel on then yes you would have to either drill holes for the rails or remove the rails.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:10 PM
William Hamilton
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you looked at the Gator Boxes? They have a cool looking rear fender cover called a GatorTail