Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil one synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 05:47 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Drtumolo
normal mobile 1 has a friction modifier in it. I used it once in a Jap bike and cause clutch slipping.
So they leave out the friction modifier and charge more? How can they justify that??

Old 08-06-2010, 06:39 PM
mech-a-nic
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Vtwin in all 3 holes It allows me to carry 1 Quart to cover all major fluids. The differance is a few bucks every 5K. My dealer recomended it too. PS he does not sell it so he has no intrest in lieing to me about it.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:52 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by mech-a-nic
I use Vtwin in all 3 holes It allows me to carry 1 Quart to cover all major fluids. The differance is a few bucks every 5K. My dealer recomended it too. PS he does not sell it so he has no intrest in lieing to me about it.
Not a bad idea but I like synthetic gear lube in my tranny.

Plus, gear boxes and primaries don't tend to lose oil.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:02 PM
JRSULTRA07
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From Mobil 1 web site

First, let's be clear about Mobil 1's overall benefits compared to those of conventional motor oils, whether for passenger cars or motorcycles:

Superior long-term engine protection.

Superior high-temperature stability.

Excellent low-temperature starting.

Outstanding engine performance.

Low volatility/low oil consumption

It's a little hard to generalize about the difference between Mobil 1 passenger-car motor oils and Mobil 1 motorcycle oils. That's because not all viscosities of Mobil 1 passenger-car oils have the same levels of zinc and phosphorus, and there are even greater differences among the three Mobil 1 motorcycle oils. In general, Mobil 1 motorcycle oils have:

Additive packages balanced differently for motorcycle engine and transmission operation. For passenger vehicles, fuel economy and emission system protection are higher priorities. These require low phosphorus systems and the use of friction modifiers. Motorcycle oils do not require friction modifiers for fuel economy and for better clutch friction less/no friction modifier is optimum. Motorcycle oils allow the use of higher levels of antiwear additives such as ZDDP (phosphorous).

Old 08-06-2010, 08:21 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 509 Posts

oil manufacturers have learned that some guys will not put it in their scoot unless it says v twin, new label and price.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

So, JRS - if we run regular mobil1, we have less phosphorus for wear protection, and in a harley, the primary is a different animal, so friction modifier is a plus for us, giving better fuel mileage?
In other words, trading off wear protection for possibly a bit better F/E; personally, I'd rather have the wear protection.
That is, IF I can find anyone here around selling M1-V; the otto parts places don't have it.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:47 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What you guys think you know about oil is scary.

Motorcycle oil is specially designed and formulated for air cooled and water cooled motorcycle engines with wet clutches.

Automotive oil should never be used in motorcycles with wet clutches whatsoever,bad news for the clutch over time no matter what some say, and it's apparent they can't read the specifications properly in comparing the oils. The motorcycle formulated oils have a different rating and formulation thats why automotive and motorcycle oils have different ratings...........DUH !!!!!

Buy the synthetic 20/50 motorcycle oil for your motorcycle, I would think you could afford the difference in price for 4 quarts for the proper oil to protect your expensive bike.

I believe some guys would use old cooking grease if someone told them they use it and it is cheap.

Last edited by SteveO; 08-06-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:50 PM
watercop
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I simply have better peace of mind using the V Twin weather there is a difference or not.

The following users liked this post:
rockett88s (08-16-2019)
Old 08-06-2010, 09:01 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 509 Posts

as said b4 are engine oil never touches the clutches ??? so reading the specs on wet clutches makes no difference.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Willie D
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking v-twin vs regular

HUmmmmmm I smell french fries when I ride . . . . works great, smells good, less filling.

OMG these oil threads are great reading on a TGIF evening.

Rotella -T 15-40 is what I use and Rotella 80-90 gear lube for the gears.

JMHO

The following users liked this post:
Br125 (08-16-2019)

Quick Reply: Mobil one synthetic oil