Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil one synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 09:06 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 509 Posts

any synthetic or blended motor oil in my motor, and any synthetic gear lube in my gear box.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:35 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by JRSULTRA07
First, let's be clear about Mobil 1's overall benefits compared to those of conventional motor oils, whether for passenger cars or motorcycles:

Superior long-term engine protection.

Superior high-temperature stability.

Excellent low-temperature starting.

Outstanding engine performance.

Low volatility/low oil consumption

It's a little hard to generalize about the difference between Mobil 1 passenger-car motor oils and Mobil 1 motorcycle oils. That's because not all viscosities of Mobil 1 passenger-car oils have the same levels of zinc and phosphorus, and there are even greater differences among the three Mobil 1 motorcycle oils. In general, Mobil 1 motorcycle oils have:

Additive packages balanced differently for motorcycle engine and transmission operation. For passenger vehicles, fuel economy and emission system protection are higher priorities. These require low phosphorus systems and the use of friction modifiers. Motorcycle oils do not require friction modifiers for fuel economy and for better clutch friction less/no friction modifier is optimum. Motorcycle oils allow the use of higher levels of antiwear additives such as ZDDP (phosphorous).
Snore.......This has been gone over about 1000 times here.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Drtumolo
normal mobile 1 has a friction modifier in it. I used it once in a Jap bike and cause clutch slipping.
This is the big factor here. If you have a bike that shares the same oil with the motor and transmission then the friction modifyers will make the clutch slip.

H-D has separate compartments with their own oil in each. Just don't use it in the Primary. The motor is no problem, I've used both and not noticed any difference between the two personally.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:50 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Oil for motorcycles regular or syn has more shear factor additives that helps keep the oil breaking down as fast with wet clutches, hotter running and other things.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:10 AM
bluewind
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What was the question? oh duh i know its another oil tread i just can`t stay awake. Just put some in and ride if it quits you will know not to use that brand again.lol

Old 08-07-2010, 06:55 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been using Mobil 1 15W-50 for 5 years and 45000 miles................no problems at all.
I use that in all the bikes I service as well, no problems there either.

Steve

Old 08-07-2010, 07:16 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Well, that's only 45k. I would think that the point of interest would be what has the oil done at 100k or more to the engine. Any engine may look good on any oil at it's halflife, if it's changed often enough. Question is, what all will you have to buy for it at rebuild, and how soon to rebuild.
I very much intend to see over 100k on mine someday, so putting any old oil in won't do - I use Amsoil for this, but am thinking that due to the test results, Mobil 1 would be the next best thing, and a lot cheaper IF the car oil was used.
No one answered my last question on that.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:25 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,628 Posts

IRT m/c oil, lube, fluids...etc... It's your bike so put in whatever you feel comfortable with & ride. Main thing is to follow recommended manufacturer's specs & you're good to go. If car oil's cheaper & you're OK w/it - then save some $$$ & go w/it. My preferences are my preferences & yours are yours so time to quit worrying over what's best & ride.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Navy UC Rider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SteveO
What you guys think you know about oil is scary.

Motorcycle oil is specially designed and formulated for air cooled and water cooled motorcycle engines with wet clutches.

Automotive oil should never be used in motorcycles with wet clutches whatsoever,bad news for the clutch over time no matter what some say, and it's apparent they can't read the specifications properly in comparing the oils......
Ummmmm, we do not have traditional wet clutches. I am sure you will be fine running car oil in the engine only.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:04 AM
jamesraymond
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told by a Mobil 1 rep that the v-twin oil has more zinc than the 15-50 oil. He said the 15-50 won't hurt the bike , but the v-twin oil is clearly better for the motor. Good enough for me!

Quick Reply: Mobil one synthetic oil