Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil one synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 09:26 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanx for getting the thread back on track. Oil threads are by necessity of a technical nature for those who care about their bikes. I get sick to my gut of every fool who refers to the qualification of oils used to be determined by one's "preference".
That's like saying to assign custody of your children to the family member whose hair you like most.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:47 AM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
I get sick to my gut of every fool who refers to the qualification of oils used to be determined by one's "preference"
Whatever oil you prefer to use! Stick with the recommended viscosity and the rest doesn't matter much as long as you change it regularly. If you honestly believe that using Auto Zone brand 20w50 in your crankcase will make your engine blow up, or only last 50k miles. You need to step away from the computer for a bit and relax. It's just oil. These high tech engines of ours don't require much to keep them going.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:56 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Drtumolo
normal mobile 1 has a friction modifier in it. I used it once in a Jap bike and cause clutch slipping.
I believe M1 oils 10w-40 and thicker do not contain friction modifiers. Check the energy star label. If "energy conserving" is on the label, it will contain friction modifiers. If not, all good for primary.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:19 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,246 Likes on 2,476 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveO
What you guys think you know about oil is scary.

Motorcycle oil is specially designed and formulated for air cooled and water cooled motorcycle engines with wet clutches.

Automotive oil should never be used in motorcycles with wet clutches whatsoever,bad news for the clutch over time no matter what some say, and it's apparent they can't read the specifications properly in comparing the oils. The motorcycle formulated oils have a different rating and formulation thats why automotive and motorcycle oils have different ratings...........DUH !!!!!

Buy the synthetic 20/50 motorcycle oil for your motorcycle, I would think you could afford the difference in price for 4 quarts for the proper oil to protect your expensive bike.

I believe some guys would use old cooking grease if someone told them they use it and it is cheap.
yourself included......

if you notice, people talking about using mobil1 have specifically stated not to use it in the primary due to the friction modifiers.

Originally Posted by ASKMOBILE
Question:
Using Mobil 1 15W-50 in Harley-Davidsons
Several independent tests have shown that Mobil 15W-50 is virtually similar to Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 oil. Since Harleys utilize separate oil supplies for the primary and tranny, is there any valid reason not to use the 15W-50 in a Harley?
-- Dave Gartner, Goodyear, AZ

Answer:
As long as the primary and tranny are separate sumps and there is no concern for clutch performance, then Mobil 1 15W-50 can be used in a Harley.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Baffler1
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kingkingking
so they leave out the friction modifier and charge more? How can they justify that??
the same way they justified charging more for unleaded gas, (gas does not come leaded - if had to be added) - amazing how we get charged more when they are giving/doing less!

Old 08-07-2010, 12:10 PM
GaryWayne
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mobil 1 15-50 does not have friction modifiers in it (if it does not have a energy star on the labe it's fine in a bike). I been running it for years in wet clutch bikes without any problem. Now if you get into their 5-30 stuff then you have to worry.

Gary

Old 08-07-2010, 12:49 PM
ncdan
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the mobil 1 15-50 is forumlated for use in heavy towing vehicles. This type of use causes higher than normal heats an breakdown. Thats good enough for me especially for 23 bucksw for 5 qts at wally world.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

$21 yesterday. That's a steal!

Old 08-08-2010, 02:15 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

the more i think about oils, the more i realize that the harleys will run just fine with the harley davidson 360 dino oil. the mobil 1 synthetic is just a far better lubricant, so i don't really see a problem with using it.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:27 AM
DMJFatboy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kind of off topic but this months AIM reccomended against using one type of fluid for all 3 holes. I don't have it memorized but read the article it will explain.

Quick Reply: Mobil one synthetic oil