Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike seems to run hot with fork air deflectors, anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 03:18 PM
watercop
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bike seems to run hot with fork air deflectors, anyone else?

I put a set of fork deflectors on my 06 RKC. Although we have had some 85 plus degree weather our way, it seams the bike runs hotter. Does any one else remove these things when the weather gets warm, or just leave them on. Had one instance this summer where the heat management system kicked in at idle. I do have an HD premium cooler, but frankly, I think its benefits are marginal.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:34 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I leave my wind delectors on all year. doesn't seem to run any hotter than anyone else's. wonder why your premium oil cooler doesn't work any better??

Old 08-08-2010, 03:40 PM
watercop
Cruiser

Dont know on the oil cooler, oil seems to circulate ok (hoses get warm) I guess I expected a much bigger temp drop on the highway. It runs about 215-220 in 85 degree weather at 70 MPH. Guess thats good. I do think the deflectors are pushing needed air away from the engine though..

Old 08-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

These old ( style) HD air cooled motors need all the air they can get. I use only a shorted windshield to shield my gauge console from rocks and bugs. I see all these riders with all kinds of fairings, deflectors, high windshields, etc. who consider themselves "bikers". Isn't the wind what it's all about??? There is a very simple cure if you don't like being "in the wind". It's called a car.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:21 PM
FXSTS-88
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Watercop - Your oil temperature seems to be in the 'normal' range.
Fork wind deflectors shouldn't cause any 'overheating'.

"These old ( style) HD air cooled motors need all the air they can get. I use only a shorted windshield to shield my gauge console from rocks and bugs. I see all these riders with all kinds of fairings, deflectors, high windshields, etc. who consider themselves "bikers". Isn't the wind what it's all about??? There is a very simple cure if you don't like being "in the wind". It's called a car."

Tactical111 - Pull your head out of your butt! This is a smartass answer that has little merit!! You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but belittling those who choose to ride with a little protection is out of line!!

Most of us ride FL's so we are comfortable and not beat to death at the end of the day's ride! Most of us came up through the ranks of Sportsters, WideGlides and SofTails, so we've 'paid our dues' of 'being in the wind'! Some of us are even old enough to have enjoyed riding bare 'Knucks, Pans & Shovelheaded' EL's & FL's long before riding a H-D was considered 'cool'...or whatever!! So don't begrudge us the comfort we buy 'full dressers' for.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:43 PM
t. sawyer
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

what fxsts-88 said. That other post sort of hit me wrong also.
Kroozeabout.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:50 PM
doyle2325
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have ate my share of bugs and road gravel in my 40+ years of riding.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:53 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

A buddy of mine took his deflectors off his RK. He was certain they caused his motor to run hotter that without them.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:48 PM
PDDGM
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Got to be at least one on almost every thread on here. I take my lowers off, but only because it helps the wife with the heat on the right side. I also have the fork mounted deflectors, but only use them in the winter.

Joe

Old 08-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master

Ga. summers are brutal and getting all the air across me that I can is highly desired, so the lowers, the deflectors, and the fork air dam all come off and the short windshield goes on.
Come fall/winter, they will go on a piece at a time until all are back on to keep me cozy on the cold days.

I don't know if the bike actually runs cooler or not, but the felt heat is much lower when riding because the air flow is different.

As for the engine management coming on at idle, all the deflectors in the world (or lack thereof won't make a difference, because at idle it stands to reason there is no air moving over the bike, so the add on oil cooler doesn't help much in this case either.

Last edited by Mr Cujo; 08-08-2010 at 09:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Bike seems to run hot with fork air deflectors, anyone else?