Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American Custom Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 08:24 PM
jsciullo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default American Custom Mufflers

I just posted a video on YouTube of my American Custom Pipes with the different baffle configurations. The bike is bone stock otherwise. The pipes look and sound great. THe best part is that it takes about a minute or two to add/remove the baffles for a completetly different sound. Hope you like it.

Here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d177beBWKeI&hd=1

Old 09-11-2010, 10:38 PM
PowerFactor
Road Master

I love these. Have the "mid-rumble" baffles in with a few more holes drilled in the left one. Sounds awesome, great price, great customer service. Save a little more and go with the "not so perfect" pipes. You'll never be able to tell the difference, especially once they're installed.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:50 AM
jsciullo
Cruiser

How many holes did you drill, what size and where on the baffles. Also why the left side only? I would think that you would want to balance the baffles but this is the second time I've seen someone mention the left side.
Thanks,

QUOTE=PowerFactor;7273335]I love these. Have the "mid-rumble" baffles in with a few more holes drilled in the left one. Sounds awesome, great price, great customer service. Save a little more and go with the "not so perfect" pipes. You'll never be able to tell the difference, especially once they're installed.[/QUOTE]

Old 09-12-2010, 09:13 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master

Jim, sounds good and good job on your video. You will notice a difference in rideability once you get the PCV and A/C installed. Be patient with the two allens on the A/C bracket that is below the tank. It isn't so hard on the pre-11's, but the plastic bracket on mine kept me from gettnig to it. I removed the bols at the rear of the tank and lifted the tank slightly to make it easier to get to them. Nice looking King btw.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:28 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jsciullo
How many holes did you drill, what size and where on the baffles. Also why the left side only? I would think that you would want to balance the baffles but this is the second time I've seen someone mention the left side.
The HD exhaust is already unbalanced (around 30/70 or 40/60).

In my own limited experience messing with exhaust (I'm generally looking for a "nice rumble" and a "reasonable bark with a twist" without pissing off the neighbors), I've found that actually balancing (that would be, reducing as much restriction to the left side as possible - at one point, using a 'cleared-out' left muffler) tends to get me where I want to be.

My current setup is the American Custom "factory" style (quiet) baffle in the right pipe and a drilled-out (around 20 1/4" holes) "medium" baffle in the left. At idle, there's that "nice rumble" and the "air" is at around 50/50. Give it a twist and the "bark" is there with much less left restriction of maybe 70/30.

My old setup (with a very similar sound) was a stock RIGHT muffler and a Superflow Max 2 LEFT muffler (which was basically a shell). Similar results - Starting with a 60/40 and around 70/30 with a twist.

When it comes down to it, I was very happy with that setup. The main reason for going to the AC's was simply those end caps... It was a bit expensive for those end caps... But that's the sharpest rear end I've ever seen (on a bike).

Old 09-12-2010, 02:35 PM
10 RED RK
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Great video !

Thanks it made my decision much easier - what a concept! Three different sound's one exhaust.

Great looking RKC! I'm partial to Two/tone tho (see avatar)!!

Thanks again

Old 09-12-2010, 07:12 PM
jsciullo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JollyRogers
Jim, sounds good and good job on your video. You will notice a difference in rideability once you get the PCV and A/C installed. Be patient with the two allens on the A/C bracket that is below the tank. It isn't so hard on the pre-11's, but the plastic bracket on mine kept me from gettnig to it. I removed the bols at the rear of the tank and lifted the tank slightly to make it easier to get to them. Nice looking King btw.
Thanks for the tip on the A/C. I shouldn't be allowed to hold a wrench but so far my minor mods have worked out fine. The bike actually runs very well with the new cans. I took out both baffles and ran it. Love the sound but my neighbors won't. Put both baffels in and it sounds ok but will experiment with some drilled holes. The bike seems stronger already but Im not sure if it's the cans or the cool morning air.

Jim

Old 09-12-2010, 07:21 PM
PowerFactor
Road Master

Originally Posted by jsciullo
Thanks,
JohnScrip beat me to answering you. In fact, he's the one that gave me the idea. I ended up drilling about 10 holes or so, if I remember correctly. Deeper rumble, but not neighbor-pissing loud. I love it.