Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will I void my warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 10:57 AM
John_HD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will I void my warranty

What changes that I make will void the warranty? Slip ons? Headers? AC?

Am I stuck having the dealer do all the work?

Old 09-16-2010, 01:26 PM
miami
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Any major problem may be deemed a warranty violation, just keep your recpts/docs. By the way DO NOT even think about farting on your seat....big time warranty breaker.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:33 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by John_HD
What changes that I make will void the warranty? Slip ons? Headers? AC?

Am I stuck having the dealer do all the work?
You're safe. Google Magnuson-Moss Act on mfg warranty.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:01 PM
k&j eglide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's paper law and then there's reality. Reality is that your warranty is only ever as good as the dealer pursuing a claim on your behalf. Certain alterations will void your warranty regardless of who does them. When the dealer does work, they certainly have a greater incentive to go to bat for you later when problems arise.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:13 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Never ride in the rain.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:23 PM
DocHarley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harley has always been very fair when it came to warranty work on any of my bikes that I made modifications to (pipes, intake, tuner). I general hear the same story from my friends.

My Ford truck is a different story, they once tried to void warranty on a bad injector because I installed a high performance air filter in my truck.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:45 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
You're safe. Google Magnuson-Moss Act on mfg warranty.
Let me tell you story, happened to my dad. My dad owns a 09 Triglide and pretty much all the add ons and mods have been performed by us. This past winter I installed SE255 cams and used the SEST to tune it. At first this spring it was running pretty good then something changed. The trike would buck and pop every now and again while maintaining a steady throttle. At 1st I thought maybe there was a lean spot I missed so I started working that direction. Each time I would upload the new map it would run great for a spell and then decay. I finally told my dad it's under warranty so let the dealer figure out what was up. The dealer messed with it for a couple weeks and though they had it, their blame was I screwed up the tune and their fix was to wipe the ECM reinitialize it and upload a canned stage 2 map. They made my dad pay $300 for diagnostics because they maintained I messed up the tune. Being the skeptic I am I told the service mgr I didn't think they had it and time would tell. After all I also installed the same cams in my 2010 Triglide and tuned it, and it runs great to this day. The trike ran decent for around 4,000 miles and then started again, I wouldn't touch it because I didn't want the dealer to blame me.

My dad took it back to the dealer and they said a rep from the MoCo would have to come and ride it to see what they thought. The service mgr being the helpful sort told the rep the SE255 cams had been installed by the customer which made the rep refuse to ride it and put a flag on the power train warranty which made all future warranty claims a case by case basis and only upon approval of the MoCo. After a meeting between my dad, myself, the owner and the service mgr they contacted tech service who said the trike needed a dyno tune. As luck would have it there is a HD dealer with a dyno about 180 miles from us. My dad took it to the other HD dealer and the tech who does the tuning found the rear O2 sensor was bad which was the problem all the long. The O2 sensor would come and go and set a code. They replaced the sensor under warranty and tuned the trike which runs real good now. I now regret I didn't take the time to look for a code which would have kept this whole thing from happening.

Once my dad returned to town another meeting between the owner of the dealership and the service mgr took place. In the meeting the owner was good enough to refund the $300 my dad had to pay them for diagnostics. He however told my dad he valued his business but he would no longer work on the engine of my dads trike because we installed the cams. Mentioning Magnuson Moss had no effect, he could of cared less, he is the owner and can refuse service. Yes the Magnuson Moss act should protect us under these circumstances but, how much money does one want to spend on legal bills while their bike or trike sits broken.

There are some dealers who are great and have no problem with the customer working on their own stuff, then there are those who either have a weak service dept or who are greedy and want the money spent at their shop who will refuse to work on anything the customer works on. In the case of my dads trike it was an electrical part that was the cause of the problem and not the cam install or my tune. To this day a flag is on his power train warranty and will remain their no matter what.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:31 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

Let me get this right, you install new cams and expect HD to honor the warranty.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:38 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 636 Likes on 507 Posts

Let me get this right, you install new cams and expect HD to honor the warranty.on everything exept the cams cam bearings and valve train.and even then if the cams were unrelated to the valvetrain failure then i would expect that be covered too.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:54 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a HD dealer to say something to me this past friday about voiding warranty.
I jumped up and down and screamed, I was sick and tired of them threatin me about voiding a warranty. If they would like I would contact a attorney and let him explain to them about the Mag and moss act. The person that said void my warranty went to the back.
I want to run all their customers out of the dealership for startin this with me.
It makes a lot of people scared to do anything to their bike that is not official Harley
I am not scared of HD.
And I will tape their conversation without them knowing it.

If they can't prove the aftermarket part I put on did damage they can't say it voided my warranty.
If this is the procedures Harley wants to make I will not buy another HD bike.
I will buy old bikes.

If I do something to my bike and the dealer don't want to work on my bike anymore.
This dealership lost all my business and I will bad mouth him till the day I die.
A dealership needs customers to stay in business, remember that.
Do not trade with dealerships who is not friendly with the people that buys bikes from them
And remember the ones that does.

And I will not do business with a dealership that does fair market prices on new bikes.

There is more than one dealership to visit
I did my own aftermarket 103 tuner pipes and the works and had several dealers to do warranty work on my bike with no problem at all.

But its yer money so do what you want it.

Quick Reply: Will I void my warranty