Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I or should'nt I

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CLYDE60
I had a 08 ultra CVO loved it no complants just traded it for a 11 got 1500mi on it great bike as stated above the extras make it worth it to me, the guys that tell you to use the money for mods are the same ones that complain that they can't get out of the mods when they trade it in.If you spend all that money on modifying a straight ultra you still have an ultra, the CVO has the mods and is worth more at trade in IMO if you can afford it it's a no brainer.
This is very true.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:19 AM
DMorr99
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not a real big CVO fan except for the 110 engine. I would rather make my bike mine by doing my own customizations than just buying one from the factory already customized. They are nice but they are not authentic in my opinion. It kind of seems to me to be the easy way to impress people that don't know much about bikes. I end up putting as much or close to as much money in my bikes but then my bikes are one of a kind bikes versus being one of 1500.

Last edited by DMorr99; 10-08-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:53 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

My 1999 FXR2 was the first of the CVO bikes. Only 900 made. Rumor was Harley "found" 1000 FXR frames in a warehouse and decided to build some "custom" bikes to move the frames. When I bought that bike its MSRP was $16,999 and dealers were getting $25K for them! At the time there was NO WAY I could have bought a Dyna and done all the "customizing" to it for the price of the FXR2. Still have that bike and will never part with it. Some say the FXR was the BEST frame of any Harley ever built but I have no reference point of my own to make that judgement. When I bought my 2010 StreetGlide I really was planning to grab the CVO version but alas it just was within the budget I was willing to spend. I "CVO-ized" my stock Red Hot Sunglow model and I am very happy with it. The Dealer here was wanting $34K out the door for the CVO version and I took my "custom" stock bike home for about $10K less than that.....feel the only thing I didnt get was the 110 motor and the oil cooler. I copied ALL the CVO chrome acessories over to my stock model and feel like I got what I wanted. Sounds like the OP has plenty of cash to burn so its his call as what to do. I do think the CVO bikes are a good deal if there is such a thing when buying a Harley.

By the way, is anyone else here sick of the political ads we must put up with now on this website? Carly is UGLY!

Old 10-08-2010, 10:31 AM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
Yep, the CVOs hold their value better than any other Harley.

However, it seems that while I can afford a CVO, my wife can't. I still don't get the math of that.

Beary
LOL! That's a great post

Old 10-08-2010, 08:00 PM
TreyParrish
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the CVO is exactly what you want it is a great deal. If your the type of person who looks at the CVO and says well it would be perfect if I just added this and changed that, and perhaps put one of these on, then I think the money is better spent on a limited or the awesome bike you currently own.

One thing I have noticed ( perhaps part of the marketing and even the appeal)is with Harley's there is always something cooler, something more powerful, something sleeker to be done to your motorcycle.

That spirited individualism propels Harley sales and fuels an entire economy based on customized parts.

Goldwings are great bikes but for the most part the owners buy them and they stay exactly the way the rolled off the line.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:42 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeez, forget about the money. Get what you really want and have the time of your life.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:52 PM
cvoultrahunter
Advanced

Well I guess I am one of the few that had but didn't enjoy my 2009 CVO Ultra Classic FLHTCUSE4. I went from a 2005 Deluxe to the 2009 CVO Ultra because I needed somethig more cushy after multiple back surgeries. I said OK, go for the best and I did. I found that bike to be unbelievably comfortable when up and cruising. However, during slow manuevers or duck walking into or out of a parking space it was like trying to move and balance a tank, all 928 beautiful lbs of her. The weight up front was incredible, at least for me. The heat that came off that 110 would absolutely cook you even at highway speeds in temps above 70 degrees. Forget about taking it into any traffic or into the city. Yes I know I could have cooled her down by throwing a few thousand bucks at it. Change the breather, pipes, tuner, etc, etc, but should that be necessary after purchasing a bike for 35-40K stock out the door??? NO WAY. I sold it, took a little beating and bought myself a 2010 Vivid Black FLHX . I'd rather throw another 15K into this SG (I'm 1/2 way there already) and know I made her mine by dressing her my way and she's PERFECT FOR ME
Listen, no arguing that the CVO customization is amazing cause it absolutely is. I just fealt like I had to settle for what they wanted me to have, and it wasn't perfect for me.....
What ever you decide....JUST ENJOY AND BE SAFE
JUST ONE MAN'S OPINION!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-09-2010, 01:30 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CLYDE60
I had a 08 ultra CVO loved it no complants just traded it for a 11 got 1500mi on it great bike as stated above the extras make it worth it to me, the guys that tell you to use the money for mods are the same ones that complain that they can't get out of the mods when they trade it in.If you spend all that money on modifying a straight ultra you still have an ultra, the CVO has the mods and is worth more at trade in IMO if you can afford it it's a no brainer.
Good point. (no, I don't have a CVO)

Old 10-09-2010, 06:39 AM
jcr
Cruiser

Thanks for all the well thought out responses.
I actually thought I would get a bunch of "hey stupid do what you want not our mney" blah blah blah.
But everyone ws very helpful.
Can I afford it not really can any of us really afford most toys we own?
I mean yes I can make it work but making it work is a little different than having an endless supply of cash.
I am calling the dealer this moring and putting the $ down to hold it until it comes in.
so looks like sometime in Nov. I will be the owner of a new CVO Ultra Classic.
I am getting excited already.
Do I think that I should have to dump $3K more into it for the pipes and tuner--No. You would thin with the economy the way it is Harley would make some changes to make things easier on people like us that like to ride and are loyal to the brand. It is the one buisness plan I will neverr understand. You spend $40K on a toy and then to make it what you need it costs another $3k at least to make it presentable.
I think it stems back to the early 90's when the yuppies were buying the bikes before they got to the dealerships and then selling them for $3-$7K more than they paid.
That was for those that remember when you had to put your name on a list to get aq bike and you could only buy one from a dealer in your area.
Well sorry for the rant f-- the yuppies--
And once again thanks for all the support and help!!!
Will post as soon as I get it.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:19 AM
whitetruk
Advanced

Congrats jcr!!

Quick Reply: Should I or should'nt I