Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question for supertrapp SE muffler users

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 04:56 AM
Solitario
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default question for supertrapp SE muffler users

hello I would like if any of you can tell me if supertrapps SE mufflers internal baffle is a free flow baffle (staight all the way and you can see the light if you look thru them) or if they are like screaming eagle street performance baffles wich are not straight and gasses have to find and exit once they get into the muffler.

I'm asking this because I need more backpreassure and retention in my mufflers (right now I have kerker and the baffle is straight pipe so gasses flow free all the way donw the exaust with no backpreasure at all)

Thank you

Old 10-10-2010, 06:41 AM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you know the part numbers of the Kerker mufflers that are on the bike?
There's "almost" always a way to add backpressure to an existing baffle if you like the mufflers you have now.
Here's a post about going the other way on Kerker mufflers.
http://forums.supertrapp.com/showthread.php?t=714
I have a friend that has a set of V&H mufflers on his 750 Shadow and he likes the look but the sound is a bit much for him.
We pulled the baffles and can see through them , he wanted to go inexpensive to tame the sound a little.
The standard baffle is about 12" long and is reduced in size down the middle.
We went in from the rear about 1" and cross drilled the baffle for a 5/16" through bolt.
With the bolt across the exhaust path and some new matting like this.
http://www.mooseracing.com/catalog.j...group_id=10984
The exhaust was much more to his liking and it was pretty cheap to do.
Just an idea to try before you buy other mufflers , and you can remove the bolt if it doesn't work to your liking.
Mick

Old 10-10-2010, 07:31 AM
Solitario
Tourer

Hello Mick

I dont want to star messing arround with the kerker baffles because, If i dont get the results im looking for, It is going to be dificult to sell a set of modifyed baffles.

that was my first option, open the baffle, cut it in the middel making a smaller diameter and re weld them but I dont have a weld machine.

I think the solution is probably sell this kerkers, earn some money and buy new supertrapps or screming eagle street performance mufflers. there's one thing I have learn, if you go with true duals you have to buy a deeper and quieter muffler in order to get the right sound, duals makes all muffler to sound less deep and louder and you need some retention in order not to loose torque.

I would like like to know wich muffler sound deeper, supertrapps se or hd street performance mufflers.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:04 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The SE (SuperTrapp) baffle is blocked at the inner (FWD) end and has a mesh tube leading back to the rear mounting ring. There are open exhaust exits around the periphery of the mounting ring that provide unrestricted exhaust ports to the corrugated tuning disks. Adding more disks allows more and more exhaust to exit via those rear ports. More disks equals louder, leaner, and less back-pressure.

The stock SE muff comes with a "closed" end-cap and 10 disks. To me anyway, that arrangement makes an HD sound like a sewing machine. An option is to exchange the "closed" end-cap for a SuperTrapp "open" end-cap. That's the same as adding 10 to 12 disks.

However, stock is 10 disks so, theoretically anyway, an "open" end cap with no disks is very close to stock backpressure. Right now I'm using an "open" end-cap and 5 disks. This is a too lean but, after about 4K miles, does not seem to be hazardous to the engine. Plugs do show pretty lean mixture but not excessively hot - even here in FL. Sure does sound a lot better and performance is at least not degraded.

All that said, consider that the stock catalytic converter already increases backpressure and is a "sort of" muff too. Therefore, I'm saving up for a "real" exhaust system. Still pondering either a V&H or Fuel-Moto 2/1 setup.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:20 AM
Solitario
Tourer

im talking about supertrapp se series no internal disk series. DO se series have disk? never heard that before...

Old 10-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Steelknee57
Road Captain

They are not a straight through design.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Solitario
Tourer

thank you, could you please explain or post a pic in order to see how the baffle looks?

Old 10-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Lyfer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth, I've been told by many folks (including HD techs) that the SuperTrapp Se slip-on mufflers are the same as the pre-EPA BS Screamin Eagle slip-ons. They (SuperTrapp) just thought up new words to go with the SE since they could not use Screamin Eagle after the break up with HD.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Steelknee57
Road Captain

The baffle on the SuperTrapp S/E muffler is an enclosed tube the entire length of the muffler body with an opening at each end. This tube sides into the chrome muffler body making it a double wall system. This is why these mufflers are blue proof. This is also why it needs removable endcaps.

Because this is an enclosed baffle, I cannot see how the inside is constucted. When I look into the baffle, I can see that at the intake end there is a restriction device. Kinda looks like a round plate stopping a straight through exit that will force the exhaust into the sides of the baffling material.

I'm pretty sure that the baffling inside is a wire mesh.

HTH

Old 10-10-2010, 12:43 PM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe SE means something different to you Solitario. If so, I'm sorry. I figured you were refering to "Screamin' Eagle" since SuperTrapp makes the Screamin' Eagle Nightstick for HD (yes, they have disks and they're visible at the rear end of the muff) so perhaps what I offered is of no use. Have you visited the SuperTrapp website?

Last edited by RangeRat; 10-10-2010 at 12:47 PM.

Quick Reply: question for supertrapp SE muffler users