Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question for supertrapp SE muffler users

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 01:17 PM
Solitario
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its ok rangerat, my english is not very good (im from spain) and sometimes I may look rude, its just a problem were I cant find the words I want. thank you very much.

ateelkne57 thank you for your answer, the problem i have is that I installed true duals with my old kerker mufflers, kerker mufflers used to performance good with stock 2-1-2 but no with the duals. kerkers are too much free flowing, the baffle is straight with no restriction at all and because of that I dont have any low rpm torque.

Im going to change mufflers and keep the duals, thats why im looking for a muffler with a lot of restriction. I cant choose between harley davidson street performance or supertrapp se series.

Im looking for a muffler with good restriction in order to get torque back and with the deepest sound possible (true duals makes all muffler sound higher and less deep).

this are the only to muffler I consider because I can use fishtail with them. Dont want V&H monster ovals or modern look mufflers.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Steelknee57
Road Captain

I suggest that you talk to the good folks at FuelMoto. That is where I bought my SuperTrapps, they are very knowledgable and should be able to help you.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:17 AM
SunCruise
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Supertrapp SE

Originally Posted by Solitario
its ok rangerat, my english is not very good (im from spain) and sometimes I may look rude, its just a problem were I cant find the words I want. thank you very much.

ateelkne57 thank you for your answer, the problem i have is that I installed true duals with my old kerker mufflers, kerker mufflers used to performance good with stock 2-1-2 but no with the duals. kerkers are too much free flowing, the baffle is straight with no restriction at all and because of that I dont have any low rpm torque.

Im going to change mufflers and keep the duals, thats why im looking for a muffler with a lot of restriction. I cant choose between harley davidson street performance or supertrapp se series.

Im looking for a muffler with good restriction in order to get torque back and with the deepest sound possible (true duals makes all muffler sound higher and less deep).

this are the only to muffler I consider because I can use fishtail with them. Dont want V&H monster ovals or modern look mufflers.
Hey Solitario, I too am trying to find out as much about the same pipes (mainly how quiet they are). I saw a 2007 Road King classic with them and liked the look with the fishtails. The owner said they are a little too quiet but it fit the theme he was after. I was looking at other bikes when he left so I didn't get to hear them So I have been researching... the Supertrapp has gotten great reviews for it's all around performance and bottom end torque.

My guess is if they are so quiet..they must be fairly restrictive but not as much as stock pipes. My other choice is the HD ones like you... Don't know the sound level however; they are a 4" pipe whereas Supertrapp's are 3 1/2"
This matters to me visually so I'm leaning towards the Supertrapp SE. Also wondering if the fishtail has a additional baffle or if it's constrictive shape lowers the volume as opposed to a "turn down" style end cap.

2009 FLHRC Jackpot dyno tuned, and a little bling. Soon to come TFI & and new AC
SC

Old 11-04-2010, 10:24 AM
2011FLHTK
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the new SE Fatshots (Made by SuperTrapp?). They are open at the ends. There are diffuser discs, but no cap. In other works, you could easily slip a broom handle up the muffler as far as the eye can see. I had White Bros. "E" Series mufflers on my previos bike and they were similar to the SuperTrapps in that they had diffusers, but also had an end cap for back pressure. You could "tune" them by adding or removing disks. I don't think that would work with the new SE Fatshots because there is no cap to block the end.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes, the current SuperTrapp SE muffler is exactly the same as the pre 2007 HD Screamin Eagle 65115-98B mufflers. SuperTrapp themselves have verified that with me. I run age 98B's on my 88", my best bud runs the SuperTrapp SE's on a 96" (both with stock headpipes). They both sound amazingly alike...GREAT! Deep rumble that roars on acceleration and a nice mellow cruising tone that is radio friendly.

Yes, they are not straight through baffle design.

As far as volume and sound here is how I can best explain it, comparing with my group of riding friends.

Quieter (a little) and much less tinny then V&H classic mufflers.
Quieter and less rappy then Reinharts.
Louder than SE Touring performance mufflers.
Louder than stock HD mufflers (well duh)
Quieter and sound way better then V&H Longshots

If you want a bike that has the classic HD sound on stock headpipes. You can not find a better sounding muffler...period. Just my $0.02

Old 11-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumba11
Yes, the current SuperTrapp SE muffler is exactly the same as the pre 2007 HD Screamin Eagle 65115-98B mufflers. SuperTrapp themselves have verified that with me. I run age 98B's on my 88", my best bud runs the SuperTrapp SE's on a 96" (both with stock headpipes). They both sound amazingly alike...GREAT! Deep rumble that roars on acceleration and a nice mellow cruising tone that is radio friendly.

They are pretty quiet when new, but with a few miles, will get a bit louder, which is not a bad thing.

Last edited by Mike; 11-04-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:44 PM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumba11

As far as volume and sound here is how I can best explain it, comparing with my group of riding friends.

Quieter (a little) and much less tinny then V&H classic mufflers.
Quieter and less rappy then Reinharts.
Louder than SE Touring performance mufflers.
Louder than stock HD mufflers (well duh)
Quieter and sound way better then V&H Longshots

If you want a bike that has the classic HD sound on stock headpipes. You can not find a better sounding muffler...period. Just my $0.02
The current Harley SE muff I'm talking about is this one (link to HD part page).

I guess you're talking about older duals, not the 2010 tunable 2 into 1 SE muff with disks (OEM is SuperTrapp) and a "closed" end-cap.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:23 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Solitario, hi from the UK! Harley used to make two similar styles of muffler with fishtail end caps, a Screamin Eagle and an ordinary after-market version. I had a pair of those for several years with true dual pipes. They were not too loud, but sounded just fine to me. The SEs were too loud for my liking. If the other type are still available they work very well. I used them on a tuned and stroked Evo.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:25 AM
Solitario
Tourer

I saw long time ago a post of someone with supertrapp se mufflers and true duals headers and he said that the supertrapp se serie muffler didnt sound great with true duals, has anybody ever try supertrapps se serie with true duals headers?

Thank you